Windows Legacy OS

Alert

Windows XP eMachines T-5048 TOO SLOW

by MikesMonk309 / December 11, 2012 1:03 AM PST

Hello, I have a Windows XP Home Edition eMachines T-5048 for six years straight.

My computer has been running rather slow over the years and I am aware that it was because of the amount of programs I have installed on it. So last week, I have decided to format the disk to see if it could run faster as if it was new, but instead, it's even a LOT SLOWER than before. I literally wait two minutes for every page to load, two-five minutes for a folder and program to open, you name it. I reinstalled 25% of the programs back on it such as Mozilla Firefox, Skype, Microsoft Office, etc.

I don't know why it's so slow. I tried running AVG, Malwarebytes, used System Defragmentor, but nothing really works. Could this be RAM related (maybe it's wearing out?)

Help will very much be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP eMachines T-5048 TOO SLOW
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP eMachines T-5048 TOO SLOW
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I'm running into is malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 1:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Faster, but new issue
by MikesMonk309 / December 12, 2012 3:19 AM PST

Hello

First off, I appreciate your response and thank you. I used the rkill.exe program and no issues were found. Ran Malwarebytes, no threats were detected and used SuperAntiSpyware and found only one virus called "Trojan.Dropper/Svcchost-Fake" located in my C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Chameleon\svcchost.exe" and removed it.

The computer ran normal now, but I can no longer access the internet on it. Mozilla Firefox doesn't even open, but shows up in the Process tab (Task Manager), Internet Explorer DOES open but no sites would load, it's all blank. I know the internet has no problem because I am currently writing this on my laptop and the connection on the Desktop PC hasn't been tampered with.

Collapse -
That looks like a rootkit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Faster, but new issue
Collapse -
No Virus, but no internet.
by MikesMonk309 / December 14, 2012 1:32 AM PST

I have tried what you recommended, but no progress was made. A friend of mine told me to use "Kapersky TDSSKILLER" and found 8 virus, rebooted my PC, and everything seems to be back to normal, bought avast! Anti Virus, except there's no internet. It would just repeatedly say "Problem Loading Page/Unable To Connect" and same with the Internet Explorer.

Did the Rootkit somehow corrupted some of my system files whereas I can't access the internet?

Mike

Collapse -
Yes it does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 1:42 AM PST

To hijack the connection so they can remotely look at your PC for bank or other information the internet can go missing after you remove the pests.

I usually try the sfc again and then look at repair of the TCP/IP stack. Here's a common method I use that works better than half the time.

-> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

There are others. Since it had infections you get to go over the networking over and over until you find it or a repair that works.
Bob

Collapse -
Nothing works.
by MikesMonk309 / December 18, 2012 4:12 AM PST
In reply to: Yes it does.

Sorry for the late reply. I tried what you recommended, but still no internet access.

Then I tried to do a non-destructive recovery with my emachines CD and after that, my PC doesn't want to boot in normal mode, it doesn't get past the loading bar at the bottom of the black screen, but it does boot in Safe Mode. I've run out of ideas and my anti virus softwares can't detect any virus or spyware. A friend recommended Registry Mechanics, fixed a truckload of registry errors, but nothing. :/

Collapse -
Look at this sad and recent discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing works.

I'm sad to report that no one has a free fix for this infection that you can read about at http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-578886/zeroaccess-rootkit-symptoms-found/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

This nasty has, for now a quick detection test (RKILL). You should try RKILL now so we are sure we are not looking at another infection of that one.

Yes there are cures but the ones I know of require either the full retail Windows DVD or paying for the full version of a certain antivirus. Extortion is what some call it.
Bob

Collapse -
This is my Rkill log
by MikesMonk309 / December 19, 2012 12:45 AM PST

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this but here's my log from the Rkill.exe hopefully you can be able to tell what the source of the problem is.

Rkill 2.4.5 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2012 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 12/19/2012 11:39:33 AM in x86 mode.
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* No issues found.

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* COM+ Event System (EventSystem) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Manual

* Security Center (wscsvc) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Automatic

* Automatic Updates (wuauserv) is not Running.

* RpcSs => %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k rpcss [Incorrect ImagePath]

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* HOSTS file entries found:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Program finished at: 12/19/2012 11:40:34 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 1 minute(s), and 0 seconds(s)

Collapse -
Can you tell me more about these?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: This is my Rkill log

"* COM+ Event System (EventSystem) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Manual

* Security Center (wscsvc) is not Running.

* Automatic Updates (wuauserv) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Automatic"

Some folk tinker so they know. Otherwise you keep scanning using Grif's advice.
Bob

Collapse -
Great news!
by MikesMonk309 / December 21, 2012 11:05 AM PST

The computer finally works perfectly! I don't really know exactly what I did or how it worked, but after running Malwarebytes again, I was able to remove more Trojans and some Adware Tracking Cookie. I restarted the PC and it actually boots to normal mode! This is great!

I really appreciate you guys taking your time helping me with this. It's greatly appreciated and thanks so much!!

Collapse -
Ahh, the onion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: Great news!

Some of these are layered. You scan, remove, reboot, repair and repeat.

I wish it was easier than this but thanks for the report.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: slow
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 12:53 AM PST

Since you formatted the hard disk only a week ago, the easiest (and most effective) thing to do is to do a clean install of Windows again, from your original Windows installation disk. Don't connect to Internet. Check if it's fast now. If not it's some hardware issue (might be the old PIO/DMA issue).

Then install all drivers you need .Then install SP3 if needed. You can download the setup file on another PC and run it from a USB-stick. If it was a very old installl disk you might need to install SP1 first.

If all still fine connect to Internet and do ALL necessary Windows updates. Disconnect from Internet when ready.
Still fine? Then make an image copy to your external hard disk to fall back on if the situation worsens.

Theni gradually install your programs, again from the setup program you put on your USB-stick on another PC.
Still fine? Make another image copy.

Kees

Collapse -
Great news!!
by MikesMonk309 / December 21, 2012 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Re: slow

The computer finally works perfectly! I don't really know exactly what I did or how it worked, but after running Malwarebytes again, I was able to remove more Trojans and some Adware Tracking Cookie. I restarted the PC and it actually boots to normal mode! This is great!

I really appreciate you guys taking your time helping me with this. It's greatly appreciated and thanks so much!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.