Windows Legacy OS forum

Alert

Windows XP desktop no connection???

by Mojo514 / March 14, 2013 8:36 AM PDT

I was using my desktop the other day and left it on, later on i went to use it and my connection was lost, i did not install or download anything i was reading something online thats it, i tried repair i tried rebooting i tried resetting the modem n i tried system restore to a previous date but that didnt work either, now i have no internet connection, my wireless works for my ipod but i need my computer's internet. Does anybody think they can help me? Id really appreciate it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP desktop no connection???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP desktop no connection???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Mojo514 / March 14, 2013 8:41 AM PDT

also im using Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Collapse -
Wired Or Wireless Connection?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 14, 2013 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

Either way, try visiting the computer manufacturer's website and download, then install the appropriate network driver for the problem device. If an updated driver doesn't fix the issue, then it is probably time to replace the network adapte, or if a "wired" connection, try replacing the ethernet cable first. If no joy for a wired connection, then we try replacing the network card..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Modem might b gone?
by Mojo514 / March 16, 2013 2:54 PM PDT

I just tried plugging the modem into my laptop n it said the same thing "cannot establish an IP Address", does this mean i have to buy a new modem?

Collapse -
(NT) Here, We Would Test By Doing Exactly That
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 17, 2013 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem might b gone?
Collapse -
I fixed it
by Mojo514 / March 17, 2013 12:22 PM PDT

After i plugged the internet cable from my modem to my laptop it said 'couldnt establish IP Address' so i reset the modem again,

when it boot back up i went to 'Open Network and Sharing Center' on my laptop n 'Diagnosed' the wired connection to try n fix the problem (like 'Repair') but it gave me the same message, but strangley when i plugged the internet wire back to the modem n boot up the computer it started working..., n wierd thing is i reset the modem a couple times before when it was hooked to my computer n it didnt help

Thanks guys for the help n ideas

Collapse -
(NT) Still Might Be The Modem.. Time Will Tell !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2013 11:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I fixed it
Collapse -
(NT) step 4 reset XP to windows 95 compatibility and SER.PAK 2
by uniqueusernameisgene / March 22, 2013 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: ..
Collapse -
explorer.exe wtf?
by snoepyo / March 16, 2013 1:32 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">When I got up this morning I turned on my PC. When I logged in I saw that all the icons were gone, and I got up a message: Explorer.EXE - Application Errorinstruction in'' 0x455a45c0'' referenced memory at'' 0x403652a7''. The memory could not be'' read''. Click OK to terminate the program Click cancel to debug the program.I clicked on both, but then just return back up all the time. I can not go into something or start up a program. All I can start the task processing. I have tried to remove explorer.exe and added it again, but then just freezes the screen and the message comes up. I've heard people say att att I have to go on the run and write some other things but I have and tried. Nothing comes up. I have a windows xp computer.Please help me. thanks
Email: ole-magnus_aase@hotmail.com
<div><span>

</div>

Collapse -
Re: explorer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: explorer.exe wtf?

Better start a new discussion about your problem, in stead of appending to a totally unrelated discussion, if my tip below doesn't work. Removing explorer.exe (whatever you mean with that) doesn't seem a good idea anyway.

This is my tip: login to another Windows account and start using that in stead of this corrupted account. And, if that other account is your only spare administrator account, make a new spare administrator account just in case this one gets corrupted also.

Kees

Collapse -
ok ty for tip.. but
by snoepyo / March 16, 2013 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: explorer

How do u mean i am going to get in to the controllpanel when i cant open annything?

Collapse -
Re: login
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: ok ty for tip.. but

If you didn't make a spare admin account yourself (but why didn't you?) boot into Safe Mode and go into the 'administrator' account that pops up then. Only use it to make 2 other admin capable accounts. Then logon into one of them and keep the other untouched for later use.

Kees

Collapse -
re
by snoepyo / March 16, 2013 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: login

even if i take safe mode that explorer error comes so i cant go into annything. just task processing
:/ this pc is going in the thrash

Collapse -
Re: crashes
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 16, 2013 5:05 AM PDT
In reply to: re

Did you logon in the new 'administrator' account you saw? Or into your own account?

And if you can re-install XP from the recovery disks you made or that came with the PC, it should work again.

Kees

Collapse -
i found out
by snoepyo / March 16, 2013 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: crashes

I found it out. i started task processing and open cmd in the task processing so i took a scan from cmd. Now it works fine Wink

Collapse -
good
by Mojo514 / March 16, 2013 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: i found out

i was gonna say sounds like a trojan, i caught one on my old computer n it stopped u from surfing the web n slowly stopped u from opening any programs, including AVG anti-virus which was the only anti-virus i had the time,
but if u got it working do wat Kees said n make another Admin account, n have a good anti-virus installed lol

Collapse -
(NT) 1st Call your ISP 2nd check settings, 3rd recovery manager
by uniqueusernameisgene / March 22, 2013 3:21 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.