Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows XP clock is losing an hour every day

by beaniejo / October 30, 2008 10:09 AM PDT

What will make my computer loose an hour a day. I am running windows XP.
The computer is also running very slow, I have mcafee virus scan.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows XP clock is losing an hour every day
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows XP clock is losing an hour every day
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If the timezone is wrong or the DST is off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2008 10:13 AM PDT

Then you get bumped off an hour every day.

Collapse -
by porsche10x / November 1, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

How could setting the time zone wrong or DST wrong cause problems? If DST were set wrong, it would cause incorrect loss or gain of an hour only two days of the year, not EVERY day. If the time zone were set wrong, the clock would NEVER be wrong. you'd set it once, then it would remember the time correctly. Yes, the computer would think you're in the wrong time zone, but so what? The clock would still be right.

Collapse -
automatic time update
by techm / November 1, 2008 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: huh??

there is an option in XP when your not joined to a domain to have your time update with a timeserver from the internet.
or if you are on a domain when you restart, relogin, or every so many hours your pc will update with the domain computers time..

so when it updates there would be an immediate notice.

Collapse -
reply to: windows XP clock is losing an hour every day
by caktus / October 31, 2008 2:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Changing a battery for cmos
by beaniejo / October 31, 2008 8:49 AM PDT

Thank you Charlie for all the help and the instructions, they are great.

Collapse -
Other things that may cause the Win clock to get messed up
by zepper / October 31, 2008 12:17 PM PDT

Software that eats a lot of interrupts can cause strange hardware or software problems including time shifts. I had a client that kept a complex college football team screen saver which ran a lot. It prevented the internal fax/modem from transmitting the ring tone signal interrupt to the fax reception software, so many incoming faxes were dropped as the fax software never picked up the phone...

Collapse -
DST update?
by techm / November 1, 2008 2:49 AM PDT

not sure but if its like 1 hour every day immediately not just a steady loss of time thoughout the day it may be either a time zone setting.
or maybe you havent updated your PC for the new daylight savings time change dates (i know it happens this weekend.. i forget when it used to happen)

so.. if its immediate try going though this update from windows if you dont have service pack 2
here is a direct link if you have SP2

if its a steady loss of time thoughout the day try changing the cmos battery like in the other suggestion

Collapse -
Why is my clock losing time?
by JCipo / November 1, 2008 4:22 AM PDT

I hope all of your files are backed up. Something is wrong in your computer. There may be a battery built in the machine that would normally keep the time when power is off and it's failing. How old is this machine? If it is more then 2 years old then the computer is OLD. It is time to get a new computer. Don't play around with fixing it. If you need a reliable computer for every day work, a new machine is the way to go. And get it before something serious fails like a hard drive.

Collapse -
Because of the time change
by PudgyOne / November 1, 2008 8:27 AM PDT

Windows Update has an update that is in the Updates that fixes such a problkem. The you just have to make sure that you have tie correct time and the box checked. It will change at the correct time.

Collapse -
clock sync
by voge420 / December 5, 2008 10:38 AM PST

I have had similar problems on my MCE PC and i tried replacing the CMOS battery but it didn't work. So I found an app called 1 click clocksync this app can run in the background and will automatically update your clock from a server as often as once every minute.

Collapse -
wrong time after DST
by pdanip / April 3, 2009 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: clock sync

windows XP SP2 on an Acer laptop - time after change to DST is wrong by an hour - nothing seems to help - tried going to CMD and entering correct time - it sets it up properly but as soon as it synchronizes to the net - atomic clock etc. it changes back - it is too early by an hour e.g. 1:30 instead of 2:30. I have seen it mentioned in other places on the net but didn't find any solutions that work! this has nothing to do with the battery etc. since it is full and this laptop is connected to the power line at home anyway so it always fully charged. It used to work perfectly before the latest change to DST.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: wrong time after DST
Collapse -
xp - DST time issue
by pdanip / April 4, 2009 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

thanks a lot Bob for replying...this (the Microsoft KB article) is more than I ever wanted to know about this...I have 3 XP computers, 2 are ok and 1 is not...THIS IS NUTS! Is this the best we can do with today's technology?
May I ask - if you know the answer please let me know otherwise no sweat - is the bottom line here that all is going to be ok once the 3 weeks etc. have elapsed and the world will stabilize back to whatever DST settings were there before and didn't change for many years? I know some other places in the world changed their DST settings and perhaps this is what is behind all this confusion.
again thanks for your help

Collapse -
The answer is not simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2009 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: xp - DST time issue

This is not a Timex. If you want to turn off DST, and the Windows Time Service it will not automatically be off by an hour.

-> The whole issue of what time it is a complex one. For example, how would you know that here it is DST but not over there? But I digress.

I hear you. You want a CLICK HERE TO FIX SOLUTION. This is windows...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.