Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp clock is 1 hour behind

by tek-tips2007 / October 31, 2007 1:30 AM PDT

I have a windows xp pro machine with SP1a (required by business to stay at SP1a). I have noticed that the clock is one hour back. When I correct it manually, it would reset the next day. Is there a hot fix that I need to apply? How do I fix this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp clock is 1 hour behind
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp clock is 1 hour behind
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This article covers the TimeZone Editor and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2007 1:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Can You Run This Tool?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2007 2:45 AM PDT

It's a third party Daylight Savings time tool that has worked on all machines I've used it on. It's quick and easy and should set your computer to the correct Daylight Savings time settings. Look for the "Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 Daylight Saving Time Fix" in the "Free Downloads section:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
run updates
by crazythaikat / November 1, 2007 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Can You Run This Tool?

Regular updates to windows xp help. there is a reason the release them as well as service packs.

Collapse -
Thanks, Grif! Ran The Tool You Linked on BOTH...
by tobeach / November 3, 2007 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Can You Run This Tool?

my XPs (Sp1+++ & SP2) and both installed successfully with no muss or fuss. I watched it change the times about 1/2 hr ago. Perfect!
Thanks again! Grin

Collapse -
Set correct 'time zone'
by Grimbles / November 2, 2007 8:42 AM PDT

May be your clock is set to the incorrect time zone......right click on the time display in sys tray, select 'Adjust Date/Time' then select 'Time Zone' tab and check if this setting is correct.
P.S. If you adjust the time but do not have the correct time zone selected the clock will revert each time you reboot.

Collapse -
XP clock error
by StickMaker / November 2, 2007 8:53 AM PDT

I had the same problem on my XP machine a couple of times; it was suddenly 1 hour behind. Not sure what to do about it.

I still like XP, sure beats that $#^*()(^% Vista!

Collapse -
Go get your
by PudgyOne / November 2, 2007 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: XP clock error

Windows updates and the clock issue will be fixed.

Collapse -
Clock in XP and Vista bug
by StickMaker / November 2, 2007 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Go get your

Thanks, Rick; I look forward to that. Not a big deal for me though. My big problem is that in my new Acer with Vista HP, all 3 USB ports quit working and NOBODY so far has been able to help fix that one. No reply from Acer either. THAT is a very serious problem.

Collapse -
As to Vista and your new PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2007 10:26 AM PDT

It's defective, broke so you can ask for a full refund. Don't lose time by waiting, just call your credit card company and get your money back.

Collapse -
Acer with Vista
by StickMaker / November 2, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

Bob, I cannot be sure whether the problem is the computer, an Acer Aspire 5100, or Vista; I *assume* it is Vista. I wish I could copy all my data off it but cannot without a USB port (unless I use many CDs)and send it back to Acer for a refund.

Collapse -
That came with Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2007 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Acer with Vista

I was reading too closely that you had installed Vista and it never worked. Even so you can get your files out via wifi or DVDRW then use the restore DVDs. notes it has a dual layer DVD recorder which also will record to CDR/W. Why is an USB port needed?

Collapse -
bad USB ports
by StickMaker / November 2, 2007 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: That came with Vista.

Correct, Bob; I can use CDs or DVDs. I'm trying to figure out how to share its files/folders (my entire D drive) with my XP machine, via my LAN. So far, no luck getting that going.

Collapse -
The usual issues are...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2007 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: bad USB ports

1. Firewalls.
2. Accounts (people forget how Windows enforces accounts.)
3. "Suites" (Norton, etc.) that block items.

Usually that's all that I encounter for issues.

Collapse -
Possible solution to USB issue
by sjulty / November 4, 2007 12:27 AM PDT

Hi Rick,

I took the following info from "The Green Button", which is a "user powered" forum for Windows Media Center enthusiasts. The writer developed this technique because he too had problems getting USB devices to respond, when he plugged them into different ports.

PLEASE NOTE: This was written with WMC users in mind so, you will see a few references to "ehome" etc, The other thing is, the writer was using XP, NOT Vista

I hope this helps you...

Here's what he wrote:

P.S. I have not personally tested this technique so, please make sure to take extensive notes & back up anything you change.

This info is provided "as is" with no guarantees

..."I've found MANY occasions where you plug in a USB device, and it gets 1/2 detected and fails, and it never works again. If you plug a USB device in to too many ports, it is enumerated as a brand new device every time, and that has screwed it up as well, I've found.

The only solution is to delete it from the device manager, and let it redetect, that's worked 100% of the time for me.

So.... unplug the transceiver for now.

make a batch file (make a text file, then rename it to DEVMGR.BAT) that contains these two lines:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

and double click it. There is an option under VIEW that says "Show Hidden Devices"

You will be amazed how much crap is in there, all the "grey" ones are non-present devices windows thinks is coming back some day. You may see an "ehome infrared transceiver" in there, or you may see two or three or five of them. All the grey ones are the times you plugged anything into any port (even if it didn't come up all the way), or every time you plugged the same device into different USB ports.
Delete all the "ehome infrared transceiver" ones anyway. Delete any grey ones that look suspect. (remember, grey means they AREN'T currently connected anyway, so it's pretty safe)...

while you're in there you could clean up the 25 different keyboards you've tried in the last three years, 38 mice, 22 usb hard drives/flash drives, etc etc Wink or not, up to you, LOL

Delete anything with a question mark too, you can redetect those as well, they aren't working anyway. One of those might be your failed USB device.

when you're all done, shut the computer off, reboot, and plug it back in. Hopefully that'll get you going. If not, maybe it's just defective Sad

good luck"...

Collapse -
Daylight Savings clock fix
by phrubin / November 3, 2007 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Go get your

I always download the Tuesday fixes. While the "clock" shows the right time, Outlook's calander screws up by one hour during the "new" part of Daylight Savings Time.

Collapse -
Download the Outlook Fix
by PudgyOne / November 3, 2007 7:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Outlook - DST
by phrubin / November 3, 2007 5:48 PM PDT

Collapse -
It should be on time now
by PudgyOne / November 3, 2007 6:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Outlook - DST

The time change has already gone into effect.

Collapse -
clock and hour behind
by btruslow / April 8, 2011 1:18 AM PDT

thank you.. i beleive it worked. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.