Computer Help forum

General discussion

by sectornine / March 23, 2006 2:22 PM PST

i heard windows media play 9 series cannot play dvds fresh out of the box?!

i know i need to downlaod and install codecs, but i need a better alternative.

i lost my copy of power DVD 6 oem version a long time ago, i tried really hard but i still can't find it, futhermore i don't have a dvd disc right now so i can't test to see if my pc can play dvds.

I do, however, managed to find a copy of
nero 6 "express", it has a software called nero media play inside, so can i use that to play dvd?

what are my other options?

please help.

my dvd rom brand is "lite on"

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP CANNOT PLAY DVD EVEN IF I HAVE A DVD ROM!!!????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP CANNOT PLAY DVD EVEN IF I HAVE A DVD ROM!!!????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by kena10 / March 23, 2006 4:59 PM PST

what's so hard about downloading and installing a codec? It's not like you'll get a virus or something.

Collapse -
what are you wating for?
by linkit / March 23, 2006 5:50 PM PST

Istall that Nero 6 software, get a DVD, and test to see if it installed a DVD decoder. Am I missing something?

Collapse -
if you need a DVD decoder...
by linkit / March 23, 2006 7:11 PM PST

...some are listed here:

You may not have to purchase a decoder if you already purchased one. You can download another copy of the software. You just need enough info to give the decoder vendor proof that you purchased it (email address, order number, username, password, etc.).

There is a RETRIEVALS link for PowerDVD on this page:

Also, if you computer is from a major mfg, check to see if all extra media player programs have been installed from the system CD's. You may have a decoder there.

Collapse -
Both of those will work
by joesmithers06 / March 24, 2006 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: you can also try

MediaPlayer Classic and VideoLAN Client come with DVD decryption and menu support, as well as an MPEG-2 decoder. There might be a few odd DVDs that don't work, as their DVD support isn't officially sanctioned by the movie industry, but it should be pretty rare.

Collapse -
WMP codecs here, free. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 23, 2006 9:34 PM PST
Collapse -
I just got them .... thanks!!!!!
by kneissl / March 24, 2006 3:06 AM PST

I was looking for a way to get my DVD player to work since I got a new Dell (built for Germany) and had to reformat drive to get all my own stuff on it in English. I lost the ability to play DVDs when I got rid of XP MediaCentre and had not idea how to go about getting free codecs for Media Player. Yours downloaded in 1 second, installed in 1 second a away I was watching movies! Only thing is, I just discovered I can only play Region 2 DVDs and have a limit of 4 times I can change it to Region 1 etc. Arghhhhhh!!! My MASH DVDs from the US will not play at all ... so sad! Still, I am very grateful for the codecs Wayne and am blown away at the quality that comes up on the VDU ... never expected it to be so good. Yay!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Made my day, you're welcome!!
by Coryphaeus / March 24, 2006 4:51 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Google for free MPEG-2 codecs or try VLC free media pla
by Willy / March 24, 2006 12:45 AM PST
Collapse -
i can't downlaod because
by sectornine / March 24, 2006 5:43 AM PST

i don't have home internet acess right now, all i want to know is if nero media player will play dvds.

i do have divx player installed from a cd i got from a magizine, so is it true that divx can play dvds too?

again, thanks for all your help, thanks you.

Collapse -
by joesmithers06 / March 24, 2006 7:20 AM PST

Last I checked, Divx Player only supported Divx content. DVDs are encoded in MPEG-2, and further most movie DVDs are encrypted.

For now, on Windows, MediaPlayer Classic and VLC are your only free options for playing DVDs that I'm aware of. On *nix, you can use VLC or Xine, and Mplayer once they get around to fixing menu support. Other than that, there's PowerDVD and WinDVD for commercial options on Windows, which will install the necessary codecs to get Windows Media Player working, assuming somewhere in the 9 or 10 version they fixed the bug with playing AC3 audio with WMP.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.