Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows XP boots up normally then goes to grey screen

by akdilger / October 26, 2009 12:20 AM PDT

Yesterday, I contracted a virus, which showed up as msb.exe in my task manager. It installed a bunch of fake anti-virus software. I restarted the computer to try to remove it in safe mode, and after the computer booted (went throgh normal welcome screen and everything) the screen is just grey. I'm sure it's not a video card or anything because the graphics that do come up are fine.
On top this, I can not boot into safe mode either. The menu at F8 gives the option but then it does not boot up and returns me to the same screen. I can't use msconfig, because I can't get to my desktop, just the blank grey screen.

Any tips? I don't want to lose all the data on my computer, otherwise I would have re-installed XP by now.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP boots up normally then goes to grey screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP boots up normally then goes to grey screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Because It's Malware..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2009 9:50 AM PDT

Please follow the instructions below:

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well. After installing and updating SuperAntispyware, run another full system scan and delete everything it finds as well. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re: because it's malware...
by akdilger / October 26, 2009 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Because It's Malware..

That all requires me to be able to boot into safe mode, which I cannot do. It says it cannot get into safe mode and tells me to choose another option. None of them work either...

Collapse -
Then Don't Do It In Safe Mode..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2009 10:19 AM PDT

The key issue is to download the installer and updater files on a separate computer, then transfer them to the problem machine, install the program, update it, then run it.. If it only runs in "normal" Windows, do it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
i hope i'm missing something...
by akdilger / October 26, 2009 11:21 AM PDT

With nothing but a grey screen, I'm not sure how to install and/or run anything.

Collapse -
Ahhhh.. A Clearer Explanation Would Have Helped...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2009 2:47 PM PDT

Unfortunately, you didn't indicate you couldn't run anything in normal Windows.. You only said you had a grey screen.

So...if you can't run anything in either Safe Mode or "normal" Windows, there are few options left.. So, to try a different fix, you'll need the help of a separate clean computer.. On the clean computer, click on the link below and create the Secured2K boot disc mentioned.. You'll then use the boot disc to start the computer with, then scan the computer outside of Windows and then run other scanning tools afterward. Read a few of the posts in the thread, (it's a McAfee forum) and follow the procedures mentioned by Secured2k..

Secured2k BootCD - Malware/Rootkit Removal

If you can't fix your issue, or at least get to the computer to boot into some sort of Windows, you'll have no other choice than to format the computer and reinstall the operating system, drivers, and all other software back to factory condition..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.