Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows won't start after nvidia driver update

by gandel / April 14, 2005 6:58 PM PDT

I just tried to update the drivers for my Nvidia geforce 5200 graphics card .
Downloaded and installed the driver from nvidia website but when I went to change the display properties the screen went blank with a flashing cursor at the top of the screen. This didn't change so I reset my pc , now when I boot up I get to the screen that says Windows 2000 and the display freezes although the drive appears to carry on loading everything.
I can start up in safe mode and have tried installing the old drivers but having no luck.
My motherboard does have onboard graphics as well and have tried combinations of disabling that or the graphics card but I still get the same result.
Any suggestions would be appreciated , thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows won't start after nvidia driver update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows won't start after nvidia driver update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now use Windows 2000 Safe Mode...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2005 10:17 PM PDT

I would use that to roll back the driver in the device manager.

Collapse -
by un-confusion / April 20, 2005 5:44 AM PDT

In Safe Mode, Uninstall your graphics adapter.

DO NOT install ANY graphics devices at this stage.

Power off the computer for at least 2 minutes.

Re-start, let Windows 2000 find the default grahics adapter. It'll be poor resolution etc...just ignore the resolution issues FOR THE MOMENT.

If you have the original CD's for your PC, use them to install the original drivers...if not, logon to your PC manufacturer's website and download the correct drivers.

Install as directed by the Manufacturer.

Shut down PC for 2 minutes again....NOT RE_BOOT..POWER OFF.

Re-start and you should be golden

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.