One of my 3 XP Pro computers will update OK, but the yellow
shield will not disappear. All the updates have been
installed, and when I turn off the computer, it wants to
always reinstall two updates, so when I turn off the computer
each day, I no longer reinstall the already-installed
updates. They are Net Framework 2 SP2 and Net Framework 3.5
SP1. How can I fix this problem? Microsoft tells me that all
my updates are done successfully but the yellow shield will
not disappear. I do a restart after each update.

--Submitted by: Colin O.

Here are some featured member answers to get you started, but
please read all the advice and suggestions that our
members have contributed to this question.

RE-APPEARING WINDOWS UPDATES --Submitted by: GEO2003
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6142_102-3369087.html?msg3369087

I Had This Problem and Solved It. What a HEADACHE! --Submitted by: Flatworm
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6142_102-3369358.html?msg3369358

Windows wants to re-install updates that have been installed --Submitted by: whoozhe
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6142_102-3369378.html?tag=posts;msg3369378

Netframework update issues --Submitted by: rreuth
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6142_102-3369568.html?tag=posts;msg3369568

Manual Installation for Net Frameworks --Submitted by: Yugatha
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6142_102-3370278.html

Thank you to all who contributed!

If you have any additional solutions or suggestions for Colin, please click on reply and submit it. Please be as detailed as possible in your answer. Thank you!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows wants to reinstall updates that have been installed already
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows wants to reinstall updates that have been installed already
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows wants to reinstall updates already installed.
by 6849 / September 3, 2010 10:39 AM PDT

The simplest trick may be to hide the icon in your tray. Doesn't work? Then reinstall them, which may solve the issues. Still not
right? Send computer back in time, reinstall missing updates in
bulk, which may unclog your system. If this fails there are other
options, but hopefully the very first one will be a winner. Best
of fortunes to you.

Collapse -
reinstall
by ticket7s / October 11, 2010 8:25 AM PDT

reinstall

Collapse -
I wonder...
by lyntone / September 3, 2010 10:53 AM PDT

If you are running a program like RETURNIL, if you are, it will not allow any changes to you computer unless you disable it!

Collapse -
Windows wants to reinstall updates ?
by mabocc / September 3, 2010 11:00 AM PDT

I too have the same problem as Colin O., except I have 3 that I have succesfully installed over and over as indicated in my Microsoft update history. Also " My Computer " shows that the updates are there and I believe that they are the same updates as Colin O. I too have Windows Xp Professional and that annoying Update Shield shows up every time I turn on my computer. Marty B.

Collapse -
Windows wants to reinstall updates
by whiskaers / September 3, 2010 11:02 AM PDT

I have had similar problems with windows updates. What I did is use Custom Install which will give you a box to select that will causes windows to not notify you about that update again. It is worth a try.

John

Collapse -
This has happened to me...
by Doh_1 / September 3, 2010 12:09 PM PDT

This has happened to me as well, and the remedy for it was to find the individual manual download for patches that fail, and install them individually and manually outside of Windows Update. That will generally succeed, and fix your problem.

You can ask questions about this sort of problem using the Windows Community forums. You'll generally need a Windows Live account to ask questions, although you can read postings on the forums without logging in.

Here's a good starting place:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/community

-Roger

Collapse -
Download the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip from Microsoft
by ihfwt / September 3, 2010 12:17 PM PDT
Collapse -
RE: Problems with Updates for .NET
by Jon71768 / September 3, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

I have experienced several problems with Automatic Updates and .NET. What I find works best is to completely uninstall all versions of Microsoft .NET. Once that is done click on Windows Update to search for updates. It will then download the latest patched versions of all .NET software, so n software updates will need to be applied.

Hugh Chung
Honolulu HI

Collapse -
RE-APPEARING WINDOWS UPDATES
by GEO2003 / September 3, 2010 12:30 PM PDT

Hello Colin
Obviously, you know is not a good idea to turn automatic updates off.
I understand your frustration with the shield reapering, and the solution may not be too simple, because there is the probability that you install another program that may have created problems with register or use a register cleaner that may have clean some entries from the register.

It would explain why you still see the updates on the installed list.
But they continue to re-apear.

The above may not be the case for you, but I have in my experience found that the installation of a program or a register cleaner can result on this type of problems in family and friends computers.

Please do the following:
Download Revo Uninstaller from Cnet\Download.

Install it on your computer as Administrator.
At the end of the installation, you will be given a check box if you want to run it, Click yes and the Revo Uninstaller window will open with everything that it is installed on your computer.

I moved away from Windows XP a long time ago, but if you know how to create a restore point, please do so.
I believe you click start menu, expand the folder tree and find Accesories and possibly under Administrative Tools, you will find System Restore.

Now, in my experience, some key entries on the register are missing and you need to repair them.

If you look at the Revo Window, you will probably see a list of
.NET Framework Ver. 1.1 - 2 and 3.5.

Double click on one entry at a time, Starting with .NET 1.1, Click yes
to the prompt if you want to uninstall it.
Select Advance, and let Revo do the un-install, if at any point you get a prompt asking you to re-boot the computer, please don't, click no and continue.

Revo will look for any left over entries on the register and present them to you in a Black Bold type font.
Mark only the black Bold entries to delete them.

After you do that, Revo will proceed with finding any left over Folders. Select them all and delete them.

After each version un-install - Reboot the pc.

Please make sure you continue working on the Admin account.
Please remember to do a manual Restore Point before beginning the above process.

Once you finish the un-installation of each vesion, you can go back to Windows Updates and check for the .NET applications.
Since you have XP, you will probably see version 1.1 listed, but you don't have to install it, since it is old.

You can install Version 2.5 and up.

The reason for my suggestion to delete every .NET application is so that the entries on the register are:
1-Recreated

In this manner, the installation list and the Windows Register will show the proper entries, and the pointers for each .NET Version.

Good Luck.
Geo

Collapse -
Installing - reinstalling updates
by cesareDH / October 8, 2010 10:38 AM PDT

I discovered about a year ago that by not installing the updates, both my desktops and my laptop maintain their speed. By letting all those useless updates install the machines dramatically slow down, especially the laptop.

I do install the Malicious software removal tool but none of the rest. As long as you have good anti-virus (I use Avast Home Edition) and good anti-spyware (Spyware Terminator), just examples, I have no problems. I do run TrendMicro's Housecall (free scan) once a month or so.

It is amazing how much better my machines run without all those updates, and I have none of the slow-down problems.

Maybe if they would uninstall the old updates before installing all the new ones the problem wouldn't exist.

Collapse -
Update problems
by susanai / October 8, 2010 11:52 PM PDT

I have just uninstalled a couple of updates, ready to re-install them but have thought better of it. Ihave just found out that Windows is doing another big install next week, so will wait 'til then. Am finding that my pc is acting young again though.

Collapse -
Vista also
by WEHiggins / October 9, 2010 2:40 AM PDT

I had a similar problem with Vista.
Microsoft has an "Automatic Update Repair Tool" that fixed the problem.

Collapse -
How to fix UpDates
by captbullett / October 18, 2010 3:39 AM PDT

On windows 7 I contacted support,there I was given a support Number ten digits long.After that click the (1)Start button and then type (msdt) with out brackets and then press enter.(2)then you will be prompted to type the Support Key ten digits in the space provided.(3)follow the on screen instructions to run the diagnostics tool on your computer.
This I did all within about thirty minutes and it resolved the issue with no headache and no setting changing that so many of us are afraid of doing if it is not something we know. Thank-You and I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks GEO2003
by Morneau / November 5, 2010 9:42 AM PDT

I followed your instructions which were very clear and concise and resolved my problem.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Windows wants to reinstall updates that have been installed

Colin,
If it were me and you just want to get rid of that annoying yellow shield, I would try two things.
First, I think I would go into Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates is checked) and remove the two instances of .Net Framework. Reboot. Then, run Automatic Updates but do the one where you can pick and choose what to install. If it were me, I would just install 2 with SP2 first. Reboot. Run Automatic Updates again and install 3.5 SP2. Reboot and see if you now still get the yellow shield.
(On second thought, if you have Revo Uninstaller, I would use that and get rid of all the stuff in the Registry which 'could' be causing the problem. If you don't have it, DL it, it's free. I was looking at Revo on my one machine, I have four, all XP Pro SP2, but only one has any MS Updates, which I have to have for work, and FWIW, I have four instances of .NET; 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1. Don't know if that means anything or not. You would 'think' 3.5 SP1 would be all you would need if you were starting fresh but I'm not a MSVP.....

If all of that does fail, you can get rid of the pesky yellow shield by going to Control Panel>Security Center. On the left, click on "Change the way Security Center alerts me" and un-tick the box for Automatic Updates. Reboot. It won't be there anymore.

HTH.

Collapse -
Net frameworks;

I've had similar problems with Netframework updates,some applications that I download inform me that the 3.5 update is a requirement to make the downloaded program work.It tells me to install the update,even though it is allready installed!I decided to uninstall this update and sure enough the yellow shield came back,so I carried on and allowed the update,I cannot explain why,but the update was successfull and it never reminded me to choose this update again.I believe that the issue is NOT with your PC,but with MS.I've altered the settings now,to let me choose the updates I want.

Collapse -
XP
by fema2129 / September 3, 2010 8:36 PM PDT

Might it be that computer has not installed net framework properly and you could download both of the frameworks and manuelly start to install net framework 2.5 first and then when you install 2.5 start 3.5 to install.

I hope this helps,Fema

Collapse -
yellow sheid reappears
by nitebmet / September 3, 2010 9:21 PM PDT

I had the same problem on one of my machines, after clicking on the yellow shield I also opened windows update via the start menu, and the updates appeared there also, so I had to click on the "Don't show these again" button.
I hope this helps

Collapse -
Do a Cleanup First

Hi Colin

Before doing any repairs, I would advise you to do a full clean-up operation. There may just be a glitch somewhere on the HDD or in the Registry that is causing or contributing to the problem.

First Job:- Click the Start button then the Run and, in the box, type cmd. Click OK to bring up your DOS Prompt. Now type CHKDSK C: /F and hit the Return key. It will tell you that this can't be done whilst Windows is running so you then type Y and hit the Return key to do the HDD check on the next boot. Close the DOS prompt, reboot your PC and allow it to complete the HDD check on the re-start.

If you don't have the following programs installed, go to CNET and download them ALL:
RegSeeker 1.55 - Wise Disk Cleaner Free - Wise Registry Cleaner Free.
RegSeeker is a very underrated tool, which hasn't been updated in a while, but finds loads of junk that others miss. All three programs allow you to do System Backups or Registry Backups - PLEASE do backups for peace of mind before any cleaning is done.

Use the Wise Disk Cleaner FIRST. That way, you won't leave any more unwanted registry entries behind when you run the two reg cleaners. You can also use Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and CCleaner - they will ALL find stuff that others leave behind. You may also benefit from a Registry Defrag after the reg cleaning.

ONE WORD OF WARNING - Some HDD cleaners have the ability to Remove Windows Update Uninstall Files (they do take up a lot of HDD space) so, if you intend to uninstall the Net programs, do this FIRST or uncheck the boxes that enable Uninstall Files to be cleared. Uninstalling of Updates can be dome from 'Add or Remove Programs' providing you have the 'Show updates' box checked at the top of the window.

Collapse -
If you're sure they are installed correctly...
by jdrignat / September 3, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

As long as you are sure the updates are installed and working, when Windows Update shows the updates in the next notification, right click on the updates you want to suppress in the future and select "Hide Update" from the drop-down menu.

Joe

Collapse -
Permanent auto-updating on shut-down
by d.arbib / September 4, 2010 3:18 AM PDT

There was also a problem about uninstallng the .net Framework items in Add/Remove and so used the utility for removing them. But re-installing failed to resolve. Microsoft were unable to offer help other than to say there might be a registry fault. As I said earlier in this sequence the frustration led me to wipe my drive and re-install from scratch and since then I have no problem.

Collapse -
Several ways to fix this

1. For dot net problems: Download the dot net cleanup tool. This will uninstall ALL the dot net installations and updates. Reboot, and visit windows update. Get the dot net 1.1 only, install, then get the SP for 1.1 then the update to SP1. When all the 1.1 updates have been done, start on the newer updates. Do each update separately.
Then behold: all the updates will install and never appear again.
1a. You can also try manually downloading and installing the installation from the KB number, however that works very infrequently.

2. For all other updates that keep recurring, visit support.microsoft.com and search for the KB number. There will usually be a fix outlined. This also works for dot net issues.

3. Lastly, Microsoft offers FREE technical support for windows update issues. It does not matter whether your windows is OEM or retail.
Supported Operating systems are windows XP SP3 and up. Visit http:\\support.microsft.com and click on contact a support professional. As long as it's a Windows Update issue support is free.

Collapse -
reinstall updates
by jimmeek / September 3, 2010 11:44 PM PDT

go to updates, right click on the up date that wont stop and say dont install.

Collapse -
Persistent Yellow Shield
by Zouch / September 3, 2010 11:59 PM PDT

Hi Colin,
I don't have a definitive answer for you but I've seen the problem a few times, most recently, last week installing Windows 7 on a machine with an unrecognized Intel graphics chip. It kept trying to install three incorrect drivers on every restart, so the old XP problem hasn't gone away!

I believe the problem is usually associated with an earlier failed update and the system never gets to flag subsequent retries as complete.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've (so far) always managed to fix the problem by uninstalling the affected component (with Device Manager for hardware and Add/Remove Programs for software). Once the component is removed and the machine restarted, re-installing the affected feature has fixed it for me. You could try uninstalling .NET Framework 2 and 3.5, then reinstalling them.

But as I said, not a definitive answer and your mileage may vary.

Collapse -
I Had This Problem and Solved It. What a HEADACHE!
by Flatworm / September 4, 2010 12:25 AM PDT

Read this (regardless of your specific error number):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

And this, and do what it says:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785. Be VERY CAREFUL when mucking around in your registry.

Then this, where your problem will be solved if you do what it says in the exact order it says to do it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

It's also a good idea to read this page, which you should read in its entirety:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx.

It's nice to try this automated tool but it did not work for me. I wish you better luck.

Note that my machine is Vista (an unjustly maligned O/S that has been rock solid for me for years), but the procedure is the same for XP.
And it would also be highly advisable to read this: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx

Do EXACTLY what they say in the EXACT order, and things will work.

This is a really SERIOUS headache that will take you an hour or more to correct. It is not amenable to the procedures mentioned in the somewhat offhand and flippant suggestions above.

Collapse -
Me Too... BUT this was WIN 7 x64!!
by Jim Babcock / October 9, 2010 2:17 AM PDT

I did the registry musical chairs with a MSFT tech support person, via email support..

Took 3tries... but he finally got me going...

How does one get RID of that .NET crap, anyhow?

Jim B

Collapse -
Which "flippant suggestions above" ?
by cdbob / October 9, 2010 9:37 AM PDT

Surely you don't mean "flippant...above" as in your own posting which ends with the quoted phrase.

If you were not the first to answer, you must have meant previous contributors. But now you are the first reply to appear. Hence my question: what answers should I ignore?

Thanks for what you've already posted.

Did you find all these links yourself or did another website suggest some or all of yours? If the latter, can you share? I'm always looking for website help that's not from MS, especially when the problem relates to MS and their steps are not clear to me.

Flatworm as in planaria?

Collapse -
Windows wants to re-install updates that havebeen installed
by d.arbib / September 4, 2010 12:26 AM PDT

I had precisely the same problem and posted to Microsoft help the whole setup but got no help whatsover. I Sheer desparation I wiped the drive (after rescuing all my e-mails) and re-installed everything
and the problem has not re-appeared

Collapse -
Windows wants to re-install updates that have been installed
by whoozhe / September 4, 2010 12:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
reinstall windows
by airsidelimo / April 28, 2011 3:13 PM PDT

i think you must reinstall your windows
thanks
-:suha

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.