Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista will not start after an update

by OneEightSeven / October 14, 2008 7:53 AM PDT

I'm on a desktop computer right now. I recently shut down my laptop and clicked the "Install Updates and then shut down" option. I tryed to turn it on a minute ago and it showed the progress bar, then it showed some weird letters on the screen. They looked like registry keys or something. It never started up fully and now I can't even see a thing on the screen. What did the update do to my computer? Is there a way that I can have Windows pay for this? The only way that I can tell that the computer is on is because of the lights on the keyboard. If anybody can help then I would really appreciate it. My aim screen name is MaNia XxI.

Here are some details about the laptop,

Dell XPS m1530
Windows Vista Home Premium

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista will not start after an update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista will not start after an update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Safe Mode.
by Grimbles / October 14, 2008 12:06 PM PDT

Hi - Try booting the computer in safe mode....just before the OS starts to boot (or just before the progress bar appears) start tapping the F8 key repeatedly.
Once in safe mode go to 'System Restore' and restore the computer to a date just prior to installing the updates.

Hope that works for you....please post back if you are unable to boot into safe mode.

cheers....JIM

Collapse -
Same problem
by XtreamG / October 15, 2008 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Try Safe Mode.

I'm having the same problem after installing an update on my laptop which is an Asus G50V Series.

After the progress bar when I start up my computer it asks me if I want to check the disk for consistency. If I choose to let it do so it stops and freezes at 59% complete. If I skip the disk check it starts to load Vista and shows me that it is "configuring updates: 3 of 3 - 0% complete" then it shuts down and just keeps doing that over and over. It never goes higher than 0% complete.

Now if I start in Safe mode it starts to load everything but stops after it loads \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Collapse -
Doing a little research
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2008 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem
Collapse -
vista/update
by chris2 / October 18, 2008 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

i had the same problem one day it updated or at least tried and all it kept saying was that it was updating 3of3 0% now i only had machine 2 weeks and it crashed called dell spoke with non speaking people this is what i think os was not downloaded correctly from the start because there were a few things that did not work any how 5-6hrs later well*************

Collapse -
reply to "an update destroyed my Vista start-up capability"
by cbail53 / October 18, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

I had this very problem with my new computer running Vista just yesterday. Fortunately it had prompted me at some point to create some recovery discs, and I did this. When I was totally defeated at getting it to start up normally, I tried the first rescue disk and after disconnecting all Ipods, and thumb drives, and making sure that no other discs are in except for the recovery disc #1, it successfully booted up. I used the option to restore the computer from the hard drive, because I knew I didn't want to have to begin from scratch. I was able to restore it to a previous time and I also ran the Repair Start-up option. It seems to have repaired my computer and since I did not have to restore the hard drive back to where it was when I bought it, I did not lose anything but the update.

I would search for a solution to why that particular update #kb----- affected Vista in that way. There may be a fix available from Microsoft. Don't download the update again till you know how to fix the problem. Good luck!

Collapse -
Windows Vista will not start after update
by p.wakkee / October 18, 2008 5:59 AM PDT

I had this problem several times.

The first time I solved it by removing the battery and replacing it.

The second time this did not work , but it was possible to start up again using the recovery-DVD.

The last time I could not even start up from the recovery-DVD so I tried the recovery-DVD of my desktop computer and it workt .
They are both Packard & Bell and are both running on Vista.

After installing framework 1.1 (+ service pack) , I did not get this problem any more.

Pejowa.

Collapse -
possible solution to windows vista will not start after upda
by cooperme40 / October 19, 2008 7:05 AM PDT

Follow this link and see if one of these solutions will help you out. I had this proplem, started up in safe mode, and went to remove programs. On the left side it says windows updates, click on that and remove the last update according to date if you do not remember the name. Hope it works.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927525

Collapse -
Vista update problem
by Arthur Menchaca / October 23, 2008 3:37 PM PDT

Well another vista issue imagine that, I had update problems also, right after I loaded my Windows Small Business. The second week after purchasing my HP laptop w/Vista premium (32-bit),after a total of 4hrs w/HP customer support(no help), I returned to the store, after 2 months of frustrations, where the Geek squad suggested a system re-install,no charge per manager of Best buy,(real customer support) and it solved my update issues. Which was it wouldn't update at all and the ops system wouldn't run properly, still don't know what that is, I still have issues with it not recognizing 2 of my external drives. Anyway I know it's a pain, but it solved my update problems. P.S. I should have bought a Mac!

Collapse -
Making Microsoft pay
by Arthur Menchaca / October 23, 2008 3:49 PM PDT

At one forum I suggested we take Mr Gates & company to small claims court for selling & creating this waste of time & money, that include we consumers & computer companies to get refunds & for the time wasted (time is money & time is money) on these new PC's we purchased & for putting this piece of junk on the market. They build cars w/ 100,000 mile warranties, brake pads that last well over 80,000 miles. Why not an ops system with no problems for a least ONE YEAR, come on Bill, what happened? forgot to tighten some screws or just left them out period

Collapse -
"Why not an ops system with no problems for a least ONE YEAR
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Making Microsoft pay

"Why not an ops system with no problems for a least ONE YEAR"

Have you found such a machine? Even game consoles don't go that long for some. About the only machine that has worked without issue is my toaster.
Bob

Collapse -
HERE IS THE FIX
by dreamer7777 / March 24, 2010 3:39 AM PDT

M$ has a page dedicated to this problem--it is too long to reprint here because it covers every contingency. Here is that page:

"Article ID: 949358 -
The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista and Windows 7"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Basically it tells you many steps in order to get back onto your desktop, and from there to remove the update either through System Restore or other steps. Once the update is removed, it is VERY IMPORTANT to follow the last steps, to prevent the problem from happening again:

How to avoid this problem
To avoid this problem, obtain and install update 937287 from the Microsoft Download Center separately from all other updates on the Windows Update site. Install the update that applies to your version of Windows Vista so that you can successfully install future updates.

The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

go to the bottom of the following link and click and install the download for either Vista x86 or X64
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.