Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Windows vista virus help?

by stickman5758 / January 26, 2013 2:52 AM PST

Hello,

My windows vista computer recently started logging us off as soon as we logged in. It still let us access the administrator account, yet I could not do much from there.The problem still persisted when I rebooted into safe mode.

<div>I went into the registry and found the userinit file, and it had another path. It linked to a strangely named file, within a strangely named folder in the admin accounts appdata/local folder. I changed the userinit back to the default one, C:/Windows/System32/userinit.exe, but as soon as I confirm it, it re-adds the appdata/local file. I deleted the file, yet whenever I reboot it re-generates itself.

I also discovered that the virus blocks access to microsoft sites, antivirus sites, and other sites which could be used to destroy it (e.g. bleepingcomputer.com). It also stopped me running anti-virus software. It disabled the windows security center. I tried to restart it manually from the services.msc, but there was not a service listed as security center.

Also throughout all the tests, MS security essentials kept telling me to restart, run a scan, and that everything was 'ok'. I uninstalled it eventually.

<div>I tried to run MBAM, and it would not run. I used the chameleon feature, and that started MBAM. I ran a full system scan, and it detected serveral things (including one which edited the userinit registry file). It deleted them all and told me to restart, so I did. Once it had restarted I tried to log in to the accounts which were not allowing access, but it failed. Infact, it didn't seem to do anything.
</div></div>
I attempted to run SUPERAntiSpyware, and tried to update it as it was really outdated, yet it would not connect to their servers to update, as the virus was blocking it.

Another thing I did was to check the hosts file but it was unmodified.

So there is my massive list of problems and failed solutions, does anyone have any idea how I could fix this?

P.S. Do not know if this will help, but it doesn't seem to be infecting other computers on the same network, as I'm currently on my Win7 laptop, which is fine.

stickman5758 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows vista virus help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows vista virus help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by stickman5758

Collapse -
Restore to factory settings
by wpgwpg / January 26, 2013 3:02 AM PST

If you don't have a full system backup (which everybody should but many don't), I'd copy any data I wanted to keep and then restore to factory settings. You should've burned the discs needed to do that when you computer was new, but if you didn't, you can contact your manufacturer to see if they will send them to you for a small fee.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Restoring...
by stickman5758 / January 26, 2013 3:30 PM PST

Well I was worried that I was going to have to reset it, but I'm not sure if we have a factory state backup, because when we first brought the computer it was our first one and we were not brilliant with them...

I do know that we have a backup, but that is only of some files and is not external, so may have been infected as well. I'm also not sure how recent it is, which may be another problem.

I will search around for backup discs and stuff, and get back to you. If I was going to get my files off if I didn't have a backup, surely the drive I put them onto will carry the infection? Is there any way of saving my files? I don't really want to infect this laptop as well Silly

Could you link me to a site which can tell me how to restore to factory settings, or is it a simple thing in control panel?

Thanks Happy

Collapse -
Try Windows System Restore or safe mode
by jishnub / January 26, 2013 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Restoring...

You can try windows system restore facility.Restore your OS to a date which you feel you were not having a problem and do a regular scan using your antivirus and antispyware .

Another option I feel is boot into safe mode and a do a system scan.

Collapse -
All Done!
by stickman5758 / January 26, 2013 10:17 PM PST

Thanks, I tried a system restore and it worked, updating everything and will be running virus scans now! Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Keep in mind that some virus damage is so deep
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 2:59 AM PST

That you have to get the user's files out then start over. An example is that recent ZeroAccess Rootkit. Here's the discussion -> http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-578886/zeroaccess-rootkit-symptoms-found/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

While I know how to fix that one it required the Microsoft issued OS DVD and a paid version of an antivirus of a specific company. The owner in one case could never get said DVD and in the next case they decided to start over.

Until we know the name of the pest, removal or writing much else is a dead end. Until the name is known, prepare for a reinstall of the OS.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.