Windows Vista

General discussion

Windows Vista:Strange windows taskbar problem

by rakshithraor / May 24, 2007 4:19 AM PDT

Hello....
I have been using Windows Vista for a couple of months.There is a serious problem with the taskbar.Initially the taskbar was black(which looked really good).But suddenly the black normal vista taskbar has changed to the Old Windows 95 taskbar(grey).I have gone to Taskbar-properties and checked.When I went to Start menu,in the taskbar properties,the option Start menu is clicked.The Option Classic Start Menu is not clicked.I have also tried in Desktop-Personalise.No avail.
I really Want to make My vista look like vista.Sorry for poor English.

Rakshith
Bangalore
India

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista:Strange windows taskbar problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista:Strange windows taskbar problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
right click on desktop select
by mark04276 / May 24, 2007 11:31 AM PDT

select personalize

then in that window select Window color and appearance

select default and put a check in the enable transparency

Collapse -
defaultT??
by rakshithraor / May 25, 2007 3:28 AM PDT

Where is the default button in Desktop-Colors and appearance

Collapse -
1st square (color) on the left
by mark04276 / May 25, 2007 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: defaultT??

at least on my Utimate version and is labeled default.

Collapse -
Version..
by ThMaGa / May 26, 2007 9:15 PM PDT

What version of windows vista are you using?

Collapse -
Vista Ultimate
by rakshithraor / May 28, 2007 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Version..

I use ultimate but i cant find the default opton.....

Collapse -
pictures say a thousand words
by mark04276 / May 28, 2007 5:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
ya....they do....hav a look here
by rakshithraor / May 29, 2007 12:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
just got a flickr logo picture
by mark04276 / May 29, 2007 1:34 PM PDT

check your link if you will

Collapse -
(NT) Flickr is down for maintenance tonight.
by John.Wilkinson / May 29, 2007 1:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks John... check it later
by mark04276 / May 29, 2007 2:09 PM PDT

I should have clicked on the blog link and I would have known that....lol

Collapse -
did u get it
by rakshithraor / May 29, 2007 5:45 PM PDT

?

Collapse -
sorry
by rakshithraor / May 29, 2007 5:47 PM PDT
In reply to: did u get it
Collapse -
mark and john..
by rakshithraor / May 29, 2007 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry

I really appreciate your hel[...hope we cn get this right

Collapse -
pictures..... barely able to make out
by mark04276 / May 29, 2007 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: mark and john..

instead of taking a picture of your monitor just bring up the window you are trying to show and then hit the Print Screen key <Prt Sc>. Use an image program and then edit paste and then save image to post.

I really cant make out the ones you have posted.

Collapse -
Aero is not activated...
by John.Wilkinson / May 30, 2007 2:07 AM PDT

I agree with Mark in suggesting screenshots, and I personally recommend the free program Gadwin PrintScreen to make the process simpler. Taking photos of your monitor will almost undoubtedly come out blurry like they did because of the refresh rate of the monitor. Taking screenshots instead guarantees a clear picture.

Regardless, the pictures you took were clear enough to show that Aero is not enabled on your computer...you are running in a reduced-graphics mode with 'Windows Classic' as your default theme. Go Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization->Personalization->Theme and select Windows Vista (Aero) from the drop-down menu. If it is not listed, browse to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes and double-click the Aero theme file, then apply.

If you can't apply the Aero theme, let us know why. (Ex: Aero is not listed in the drop-down menu.) Also, I saw that your Vista index was 2.9, so it could be possible that your graphics card is not powerful enough to support Aero...let us know what graphics card your have and when you last updated the drivers.

Finally, go Control Panel->System and Maintenance->System and scroll down to the bottom. Check to make sure that Vista has been properly activated. Vista is designed to enter reduced graphics mode if it detects the OS is pirated or has not been activated within the allotted time period.

Let us know.
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.