Windows Vista forum

Question

Windows Vista not recognizing usb devices

by trx4evr / November 13, 2012 5:18 AM PST

I have a Compaq Presario F700 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit with Service Pack 2. a couple of months ago I got my ram upgraded from 1 to 2 gigs. around that time i also got an external usb hub (machine has three, but i also have an external webcam (none built-in) wireless mouse and keyboard). Anyway when I get the usb hub, I plug my keyboard and my webam (logitech 250) into it. About 1 month goes by without any problems then for not reason I get the error message saying "Webcam plugged into usb 1.1 port. Please plug into an avaiable usb 2.0 port". Ever since then, the port on my laptop that the hub was plugged into does not want to recognize anything I plug into it (I get the USB device not recognized notification). As a test I plugged my mouse adapter into the port (adapter has a light to tell me when it is working). and the light came on until the welcome screen.

Sorry this took so long to explain, I tried to provide as much detail about the problem that I could.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista not recognizing usb devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista not recognizing usb devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sad to say yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 5:24 AM PST

Did you ever accept any driver from Microsoft? And ports do go bad. As a test I boot up my UBUNTU LiveCD so I don't disturb the installed Windows and see if the mouse works on that port.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm not sure what you mean
by trx4evr / November 13, 2012 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Sad to say yup.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by "have you ever accepted any driver from Microsoft"? Do you mean if i ever installed driver updates? if that is the question then the answer is that I am running the most up-to-date USB drivers. Also the other 2 ports work fine with everything that i plug into them.

Collapse -
Sad to read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 5:33 AM PST

Drivers are not something I suggest folk update. Drivers do not wear out and Microsoft keeps stumbling on that one. It's partially their fault for not mandating a change over a decade again to properly identify chips and more.

OK, try the Ubuntu test to see if the port is dead or alive.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Another thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Sad to read that.

Some PCs let us disable ports or set them to legacy mode. It's your machine so you should be familiar enough to go check that out.

Collapse -
About the Ubuntu thing...
by trx4evr / November 13, 2012 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: PS. Another thought.

I just checked and yes all my USB ports are enabled and windows says they are working properly.

1 more thing, what is Ubuntu liveCD and how do i use it to check usb ports?

Collapse -
I put that question into google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 5:43 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.