Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista not compatible with Netgear N600 router???

by scarpe322 / December 13, 2010 6:00 AM PST

Ever since my husband installed the Netgear N600 router, I can no longer get an internet connection on my laptop which is running Windows Vista. He's running XP and he can connect no problem on his laptop. My connection appears to grant me access, but when I hover over the network connection it says local access only. The error message I get is "unidentified network." Has anyone else experienced this? Am I going to have to buy Windows 7 in order to get internet again? Please assist and thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista not compatible with Netgear N600 router???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista not compatible with Netgear N600 router???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually not a vista issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 6:58 AM PST

That message is not unheard of when WEP and/or mac filtering is enabled and the password is wrong or the mac is not allowed. Did you check that out?
Bob

Collapse -
I had to get with netgear support for simlar issue
by solansolansolan / December 25, 2010 8:07 PM PST

I had to change to WEP security settings on router,,, had to rename the SSID to a new name, and enter a 10 character key. Then went to the laptop and found that new wirelss SSID and got it working. They said it was an issue between Vista or the Aethos wireless card inside the laptop and the WPA setting. Then I had to go back to my other wireless devices and change to use the new wireless SSID.

Collapse -
It Worked!
by Jerrymg50 / July 1, 2011 4:51 AM PDT

Until I read your solution I was unable to get my older computer to work with my Netgear N600 router. I had spoke to a dozen or so "Computer Experts" and they said the router must be bad - My old router had WEP security - So I new you were right!! Thank you!!

Collapse -
Windows Vista not compatible with Netgear N600 router???
by 85irocz / February 8, 2011 10:55 AM PST

hi,
dont know if you got all fixed up yet, but i had the same problem with one laptop,all others worked fine, this week i went out and bought netgear n600 dual band usb adapter and that fixed the problem, i have the n600 dual band router, so i got the usb adapter to match it. it cost $59.99 @ staples.they also have a n300 for $35.99 the reader in your laptop isnt compatable with netgear. like mine isnt. i even tryed all security changes, and netgear was no help, mine worked fine with linksys.and it still does, but get the netgear usb adapter to match your router and you will be all set.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.