Windows Vista

General discussion

Windows Vista, Limewire, and CD/DVD drive problem???

by katzmusik / April 7, 2007 12:25 AM PDT

I bought a new Toshiba Satellite A135-S4467 about 2 weeks ago. It has been running great, I've gotten used to Vista and am really liking it, absolutely LOVE the CD/DVD burner. That being said, I've been carefully downloading programs and software that I normally use (Quicken, Photoshop, etc.) and I installed Limewire Basic because I'm a music nut and I'm permanently attached to my iPod.

Everything was going just fine until two days ago, out of the blue, my CD/DVD drive disappeared from "My Computer" and I got a message in device manager telling me the device could not start. I tried updating drivers, uninstalling and rebooting, looking for solutions online and found nothing except that this device doesn't NEED drivers - it's supposed to be supported by Windows automatically. Even tech support at Toshiba was at a loss for words. I finally backed everything up and did a complete system restore, and the drive reappeared and is working just fine...but now I'm paranoid about downloading Limewire in case it happens again. I have everything backed up on an external drive, but I really don't want to have to do another system restore.

Has anyone else has this problem? Is it common for brand new drives to quit working like that? The drive is a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D ATA Device. I am thinking seriously about buying an external burner (with lightscribe, why not?) just in case...but I would love to know if this is a common problem with Limewire and Vista.

Thanks for your help!

Kate

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista, Limewire, and CD/DVD drive problem???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista, Limewire, and CD/DVD drive problem???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm replying to myself....
by katzmusik / April 7, 2007 12:54 AM PDT

I've just been reading the threads about Limewire and P2P filesharing, and it occurred to me (belatedly, I know) that a file I downloaded may have caused the problem with my CD/DVD drive. I guess I'll never know, because after reading the arguments for and against P2P, I've decided not to take part in illegal filesharing so the point is moot. I guess if the drive fails again, maybe it really was a hardware issue...but I'll be buying my music from now on.

Cheers,

Kate

Collapse -
Well there you go.
by Anti-Fanboy / April 11, 2007 8:20 AM PDT

Yeah, it is probably a file which you downloaded that caused the problem, much of the things on Limewire include malware.

So you are going to start buying music legally.. are you sure iPod nut, or are you just saying that becuase you are paranoid of your comment getting you in trouble. Lets face it, piracy is everywhere, and especially if you like to listen to music a lot, you are, like it or not, going to be related there. Using Limewire is just as illegal as borrowing and ripping a CD from your friend.

Conclusion - Even though you "aren't" using Limewire anymore, just keep your computer protected with proper anti-virus, firewall and spywrae/adware/malware protection - yeah a mouthfull.

I recommend Norton 360.

Collapse -
I advise against you...
by LeeT91-20671004349657615669999955490055 / April 13, 2007 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Well there you go.

I advise against you, I have had bad experiences with any Symantec product, they are generally annoying and I ended up uninstalling them within a week. (Yes, I did buy it and didn't download it illegally). They notify you about 6 times about one thing, and they really slow a computer down, even a good one.

Antiviruses are a personal preference thing, try out demos, and use whichever suits you. I use NOD32, it's quick and easy, but it's all up to the user.

Collapse -
Symantec AntiVirus
by Fil0403 / April 13, 2007 1:24 PM PDT

I advise against you too, Symantec AntiVirus is not annoying in any way and I am very satisfied and will probably never uninstall it. It only notifies me once about each specific suspicious event and it does not slow down a computer in any way, even a bad one like mine.

Anti-viruses are as a personal preference thing as any other piece of software, use what most people and big companies in the world use, and do not go by what people say or claim. I use Symantec AntiVirus, it's quick and easy too, but there are proofs that it is good, like its detection rate and product market share.

Collapse -
About Symantec
by Mikel72 / April 21, 2007 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Symantec AntiVirus

Yeah...
I think Symantec is annoying and slow, McAfee in Vista running Limewire ??(illegal or not, that is not the point... the fact is everybody wants to run it !)there is a post for that case.

I am using avast! in its free trial... and I think could be a good chance, I am trying to find a good AV but that matter is a serious personal thing, it depends of your preferences.

Collapse -
Issues with windows Vista and Lime wire
by ttmcabe / December 19, 2007 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: About Symantec

Hello all ..I have tried everything with limewire and vista it was working great at first ..than i had to do a reboot and it was all over..i tired everything install, uninstall,java, lime wire, lime wire.Java..firewalls you name it i did it and than i came across another board about Vista/limewire some one suggested
MP3 Rocket 5.0 ..it's the same base as lime wire ...works great with vista no problems yet.. I almost fell on the floor when i seen them 5 green bars come up..hope this helps..i can sleep now

Collapse -
I advise you lear how to properly use a computer.
by Anti-Fanboy / April 14, 2007 6:26 PM PDT

If at first you don't succeed, try again.. especially for you.

Symantec's Norton products are designed and developed with the user in mind, making everything simple, efficient and step-by-step clear for (almost) any user to be able to easily use thier software.

I can say this because I am a fairly advanced computer user/mainstream programer and I have seen and compared inbetween products.

I recomended Norotn 360, a peice of software you clearly seem to have never used before, because it offers full coverage and protection for your computer, and that it is VERY easy to setup and use, on top of which is the most world renouned and tusted.

I have been using Symantec products since early 2001 and I have used or tried many of their programs, and by this I can tell you that if in the year 2006/7 you cannot get a Norton Antivirus program installed and working, you need to stop and take computer training courses, no offence.

Collapse -
I do know how tho properly use a computer.
by duckman / October 17, 2007 10:01 PM PDT

I USED to use Norton products but they became so invasive and intrusive that I dumped them. I don't have any virus protection and don't need it as I don't do what causes viruses to be caught. My router stops all incoming attacks, and life is good.

Collapse -
Symantic / Norton isn't the greatest. Isn't the worst.
by jatibi / November 11, 2007 8:49 AM PST

But after 4 years of dealing with it's various quirks it failed and my hard drive was corrupted. Luckily I had a backup that was only 1 week old. Got the hard drive wiped and reformatted (that was fun - not) and the backup reinstalled. I changed to trend micro. Got norton uninstalled and trend installed and it found all kinds of spyware, that Norton was supposed to find.

Lesson learned, always check around before renewing antivirus. What once was top of the line may slip quickly.

Collapse -
lime wire tips
by m_dro_2007 / April 15, 2007 9:55 AM PDT

u need to look at the file size on on files on limewire and make sure its usual to have a file that size. for music anything under 1000 kb is usually something bad if its higher its usually pretty good, and if u real scared its a virus scan it with an anti virus b4 opening it.

Collapse -
Missing CD Drive
by Drema1 / May 3, 2007 1:53 PM PDT

Hello- I have a Toshiba A135-S4427 with factory installed Windows Vista ( not a upgrade). My CD drive came up missing . I did a full system restore and loaded back nothing but microsoft certified programs and updates. Nothing on my computer ( including my personal files) was loaded. My computer was basically "out of the box". After sending hours reformatting and restoring I checked under my computer and found no driver. The driver is listed in devise manager, but not under my computer. The first time my driver came up missing I had Lime wire installed. The second time my drive came up missing the comp was restored without any trace of limewire or apple. It is not a malware issue. I do not believe this is a Toshiba problem because others are having problems with the same issue on diffrent comps. I believe this is a Vista problem. The only thing I found to correct this problem is located here but-

http://www.randomfix.com/2007/04/12/windows-vista-%E2%80%93-missing-cddvd-rom-drive/

If I am reading the link right, it is for Windows XP. My computer does not show the path given in the link. If anyone has a fix for the Vista regedit please , please let me know = 0(

Thanks-
Drema

Collapse -
Cannot Find DVD/CD Drive to transfer work files from DVD-R
by Ampalathumkal / April 17, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

I bought Toshiba Satelliet 135-S4527 two days ago. Of course, Vista premium is wonderful. Only problem is that I cannot trasfer my workfiles from DVD-R to the hard drive to continue my work. There is no CD/DVD drive installed. I could not see any help on microsoft website either.

Checked the Device Manager. Only drive I could see was " MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ 850STA DEVICE". In properties, general section, it states "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available". "Check for Solutions" options does not provide any help.

Files are big and sensitive, e-mailing the files is not a good option.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

George

Collapse -
Yep, sounds like Vista
by Anti-Fanboy / April 21, 2007 7:15 PM PDT

Yeah I hae been running Vista Ultimate about 4months now and I can tell you it sucks for drivers and compability.

First of all you can try disconnecting the drive and uninstalling it from the device manager, then try reinstalling and connecting it again - see if the found new hardware icon pops up.

Second, you can tell WIndows which driver to load by directing it to your driver CD (if you got one with it). If the driver CD cannot start or has errors such as it cannot install then you probably have compability issues.

Last thing I can point out is that I have never gotten the error message which says that the driver is missing or corrupted, this may be more serrious since your Vista OS MAY be corrupted, in this case you can do a full restore if necessary, but this probably isn't the case (you know it IS the case though, if you have been tinkering around with the system files or anything like that in the windows folder).

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
missing dvd drive
by oddjobbs / April 27, 2007 8:43 AM PDT

hi my friend just got exactly same problem but do not have limewire,hit start then computer i have no dvd drive but in system devices it is there but drivers corrupt, have spent last three days in comet who say its not a hardware fault(not covered by garauntee ,its a software fault in vista see acer the computer manufactuer, they say nothing to do with them see microsoft,they say its a oem version of vista, see acer and so on,my friend does not speak alot of english and has brought computer and installed vista anytime update from vista home basic,not realising he had to pay for the licence and not realising he should of backed up and created a system disk before doing this.since this he has no dvd drive or could it be something he downloaded incompatible to vista, comet, acer and microsoft all want

Collapse -
Windows Vista and Driver for TSST Corp CD/DVDW SH-S162L ATA
by Kamokasie / May 6, 2007 9:53 AM PDT

Same problem, similar drive, same OS, different start to problem; Semantic's Norton 360. I've been running Vista Ultimate fine for weeks, but after installing 360, I'm told my driver is no longer good. I've worked the registry solution and also the delete and re-installing the driver... no luck. From reading around, this seems to be a common problem, often solved by un-installing the culprit program, or starting over fresh. Surely there is a better solution.
What do Norton 360 and Limewire have in common --> this should lead us to the cause/fix.
- Kamokasie

Collapse -
I had that happen when I had Vista Beta 2 the first release.
by orlbuckeye / November 11, 2007 9:51 AM PST

It was removed with the next beta release of Vista. I had a Toshiba DVD/CD drive.

Collapse -
Windows Vista and Driver for TSST Corp CD/DVDW SH-S162L ATA

hi,
i have an E-SYSTEM 3090 UK, i have a caution sign next to my diver, it was workin fine until i had a new ram put into it, my brother in law read the information about "limewire" could be the problem, he uninstalled it, but it still has an caution sign by it, the drive doesnt show up on my computer but it shows up on system divices which is strange, because i thought that if it didnt show up on my computer it wouldnt show up on system devices, oh yes and i must add, it says on the driver information that the driver is currupt, i hope this information helps you find a solution to my problem

thanks leanne

Collapse -
Remember there is no driver for this item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2008 6:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Remember there is no driver for this item.
by LaHughes1991 / June 15, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

but i have no idea what they are, i dont know about all that technical information, could you please explain what they are,
thanks leanne

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2008 7:24 AM PDT

But I supplied a link about how to do this. I never duplicate the web content since the forum policy doesn't allow it and then I might make a mistake!
Bob

Collapse -
ok thanks
by LaHughes1991 / June 15, 2008 7:44 AM PDT

il get my brother in law to look at it, he will probably beable to understand it better than i can

Collapse -
DVD drive problem
by josemauro / May 11, 2007 7:41 PM PDT

Kate,

I am having almost the same problem. My cd/dvd rom doesn't recognize DVDs. Actually it recognizes some and others doesn't. I downloaded and installed DVDFab on my laptop for copying films i like.
Is it the case to restore the system??? Probably it will work.

By the way, if I leave my computer on stand by sometimes the dvd rom vanishes from the system. When I shut down and start it again I can see the dvd rom.

Jose

Collapse -
I narrow it down to a ipod/ windows vista problem
by Drema1 / May 14, 2007 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD drive problem

After some system restores, I found the problem to why the CD/DVD drive is missing. If you have ipod/ itunes installed go back to the point in systems restore before you loaded it. I found that this is a fix that Apple and Microsoft is working on. Here is the info on this.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042

It has taken me a couple of weeks on the phone and on line to find this fix. If you own the Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 go to the site

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modelLanding.jsp?ProductMenu_0=Portables&ProductMenu_1=Satellite&ProductMenu_2=1598555&BV_SessionID=
@@@@0067856104.1178146848@@@@&BV_
EngineID=ccceaddkkmmkjfecgfkceghdgngdgmm.0&moid=1598555&smoid
=true&ct=MH&ListType=Model&x=8&y=9

and call the 1-800 number if the ipod is not the issue with yours. Post here if you can-

Hope this helps
Drema

Collapse -
I don't have Limewire or iTunes installed....
by rocketknight73 / May 19, 2007 9:53 PM PDT

I have had the same problem where my TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-L632D will vanish from my HP laptop. I do have Vista Ultimate running and everything works fine except my DVD drive vanish from me. A simple reboot fixes everything but it's quite annoying. When I check the device manager it is not listed at all until I reboot. Crazy...

Collapse -
(NT) Tried Checking For Updated Firmware For the Drive?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 20, 2007 1:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Problem solved for me...
by rocketknight73 / May 23, 2007 10:15 AM PDT

To reply to the poster that asked if updated the FW/drivers. Yes I checked. I have the latest. I've since uninstalled AnyDVD and my drive has stopped from vanishing. I hope there is a fix for this because I use AnyDVD a lot.

Collapse -
computer tech newbie needs help and advice!
by globalwriter1967 / May 30, 2007 7:01 PM PDT

hi,
can you give me a step by step guide on how to reboot my computer so that i can get my dvd'cd rom drive working again please. thanks, chidi

Collapse -
Windows problem, not just Vista
by CowboyKim / May 30, 2007 7:09 AM PDT

I've had this problem for many months and it's been going on for years. I know that this a Windows Vista forum, I have Windows XP and I see that the problem is now carried into Vista. Micorsoft should really fix this problem. It started after installing a Windows update when I had Nero 6.3 installed. Unfortunately, I don't know what update it was nor exactly when it started. I uninstalled Nero and got my drive back. I later installed iTunes and the drives disappered again. A script by Doug Knox, http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs
was recommended which removes the upper and lower filters from the registry aoutomactically. The Doug Knox CD repair script does work but it disables Nero, iTunes and Roxio as the fix. I am running Windows XP SP2 on a Toshiba 1955-s804 laptop. After running the script all drives come back but iTunes no longer works and must be reinstalled. When that is done the drives disappear again. This also happens when I install Nero Burning Rom 6.3 and I have heard that it is also the case with Roxio. This is not an iTunes, Nero or Roxio issue, this is a Windows issue. Anybody have a fix that will let iTunes install and not have the drives disappear?

Collapse -
Magic Jack
by Gredniw / June 21, 2011 11:15 PM PDT

My magic jack line went down a few times. I ran this fix and it's back up and running. I hope that this will be a permanent fix! Thanks so much.

Collapse -
Problem
by davmcn / May 14, 2007 12:43 PM PDT

Hi
anyways i have found out that also i think that you should get rid of Limewire Basic i have had it in the past and it infected my whole pc and had to get a new one. anyways i suggest you go and ask toshiba. or go and look in System Manager. maybe it is there but the driver is missing or so on. anyways i hope this helped and just to warn you limewire is a total Scam and Virus!
dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.