Computer Help forum

Question

Windows Vista Install hangs at "Copying Windows Files" 43%

by goatsrkids2 / January 5, 2013 4:57 AM PST

On a 4 year old gateway amd64 desktop, the original hard drive failed and I'm trying to put vista on a new seagate hard drive. Windows Vista Installer and a Windows PE flash disk I had both recognize the new hard drive, so I don't believe this is a driver issue. However, whenever I try to run a vista install off a 4GB flash drive, the installation hangs at 42% or 43% for "Copying Windows Files". I got the install disk from the official digital river source and have tried redownloading the installation files and placing them on different flash drives, but I still get the same problem. I have disabled the BIOS virus protection as well. I've tried reformatting and repartioning the new drive as well, but have had no luck. Does anyone here have any idea how to make Vista install.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista Install hangs at "Copying Windows Files" 43%
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista Install hangs at "Copying Windows Files" 43%
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd check with Gateway for BIOS update
by wpgwpg / January 5, 2013 5:05 AM PST

I'd go to Gateway's web site, put in the model, and see if there's an update for your BIOS. Since you have the drive partitioned, try installing to a different partition. It could be that the drive has a bad sector or two. Is the computer overheating? Make sure all the fans are running, and check the temps in the BIOS when you boot.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Sometimes...
by Willy / January 5, 2013 10:06 AM PST

I've found on Gateway PCs if the addition or past h/w install is present it *may hose* the re-install. Meaning, it must be installed might it was when new, remove anything that wasn't part of the PC. USB devices are a key item, even if it seems to be working. On top of that USB isn't suppose to be a install device for the OS. -OR- there is some conflict with your key and/or what the install expected. But, if you allow a longer time during what may seem a hang, it should continue or display some error#. You can try this from a disc rather than a flash drive, that's suppose to be the typical path of install, why use flash PE. Gateway just doesn't lend itself to easy install it seems at times too, IMO.

http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-vista-rtm-with-sp1-setup-files-32-bit-and-64-bit/

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
The Vista install trouble continues.
by goatsrkids2 / January 9, 2013 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Sometimes...

So I burned a vista install disk, booted from it fine, and the install proceeded fine as long as it was just copying and expanding files. Then, however, it gave me the Error Code 0x80000001 Could not locate offline locale information. I've only tried the installation in English, the computer's BIOS is set in English, and the only available language option on the disk is English. I then unplugged the old drive from the computer, because it could be hanging the install, but when I rebooted the installation disk, now all it notifies me is that "Windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume." Do you have any ideas? Installing Vista on this computer has been a nightmare.

Collapse -
Are you ready to do some work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 3:23 AM PST

I wait till folk are ready so if you are ready I suggest you do the following.

1. Replace the CPU Heat Sink Compound.
While you are doing that, clean the heatsinks you find inside.

2. Try again.

3. Fail? Be sure this machine came with Vista. Vista requirements were stiff and a machine that never ran it may never run it.

4. Look around in the bios for any CPU CACHE settings and turn them off.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
About that Vista DVD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 5:03 AM PST

Sometimes you find folk using the DVD from a Dell on a Gateway. Doesn't always work and the fact it goes part way can confuse folk or make them think it should work.
Bob

Collapse -
Let's be clear
by Willy / January 10, 2013 4:51 AM PST

You mention you "burned a Vista disc" that shouldn't be the normal way of doing this unless it came from MS as .ISO file. Thus, all bets are off if from other sources, etc.. it may not be the required type of install, because it seems you don't know it its full retail or OEM or DIY(builder) type, etc.. So where did this Vista inbstall disc originate from? Next, depending on your PC, as i stated return to basic as possible. Since, you mentioned you had an old HD present, disconnect and attach the new one at its slot or cable position, either it be SATA or PATA type. Be sure you got that right as that's an h/w issue. You may need to reset the bios to "defaults" in order to accept the basics as well. Now, try to do an install on new HD and if asks, accept to reformat(NOT quick) but the whole HD and allow it to finish and then it should install, select NTFS mode and accept it. Hopefully, it should install and any "locale" issue is not a normal response. That error is you google should provide what it needs to be corrected.

I top of what i mentioned, then you maybe dealing with other issues or why the HD fried, etc. or PC was hosed beyond a bad HD. Thus, you should follow Robert's advise and see if that helps as well. Sometimes, I simply "wipe clean" the HD of any past installs or failed ones in order to remove any possible s/w(OS) hang-ups, I use DBAN or KILLDISK to clean a HD. I do this when all fails, etc., and possibly remove such s/w glitches. It's better this way rather trying any fixes, repairs etc., of old installs, etc. again to start fresh again.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the replys!
by goatsrkids2 / January 10, 2013 8:32 AM PST

I got the vista install from the link Willy provided, and ran the X14-63453.exe to make the Vista folder, used IMGBurn to turn the Vista folder into an .iso, and burned it at 8x speed to a blank DVD, which I made bootable. The computer didn't come with recovery disks, but had a recover partion on the failed hard drive.
I tried the install with the old HD unplugged, and got the same result. I will have to try switching out the SATA cables in the PC so that the old HD's sata cable is attached to the new HD. I've tried the formatting and erasing within the windows installation, but I'll try DBAN or KILLDISK to do a full HD wipe. If not I will probably have to consider Robert's advice and try replacing the CPU heatsink, though to be honest that sounds like a lot of work.
Hopefully one of these things will fix the problem. Thanks so much for both your help.

Collapse -
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2013 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the replys!
Collapse -
hmmm
by goatsrkids2 / January 10, 2013 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

Both the dell and the askvg link to the same files hosted at Digital River. They both require you to run the X14-63453.exe to make the Vista folder. Is it just not likely that a downloaded vista install will work correctly?

Collapse -
"files"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 1:24 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm

Sorry but the download I used from there gave me an ISO file and that created the full bootable media. Something's not right with the install DVD in my view.

Go get a real install DVD and try it.
Bob

Collapse -
RTM releases or repair discs offering
by Willy / January 10, 2013 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the replys!

Don't confuse the "repair OS disc" as a full install. They tend to work on already installed OS, in order to clean or clear some glitch or mishap and allow to reboot properly or similar fashion. Some of the other sources also tend to rely on old OS as if you're updating to the newer OS. The whole being once you get into all this, the chances of working are 50/50, many times these "free or open website OS" aren't made to be full installs. You can still however request as a legal option a "recovery/restore Vista disc" from sources, check link. Also, the other link I provided greatly relied on the "key" to work, so if that is an issue another error in the making. However, it may not simply work because it was pre-release of Vista that was "beta" and is no longer supported.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/676328

http:///www.restoredisks.com >>>>> google for others or similar

These are to re considered, OEM type install and are suppose to work only on your model# or series PC. If you haven't yet, Gateway may provide this service also at some low cost. Yeah, your Gateway came with the restore partition on the old HD, BUT you were suppose(allowed) to create restore/recovery discs as part your safe recovery if the need arise besides the HD provided one as well.

As for Digital River source, you may want to contact them to see why the version you got, failed. -OR- query there to see what problems are resolved, being provided by other users or links to such.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
about digital river
by goatsrkids2 / January 10, 2013 12:06 PM PST

from what I've read, digital river is supposed to be a licensed official microsoft partner that hosts some of their OS files, like the vista install. It's as close to an official and legal download of vista that I could find. Maybe these disks are just repair disks and not full versions of vista. The websites tout them as being able to do a clean vista install, but maybe they are just repair disks, and that full clean install is actually utilizing parts from the old install. I have the license key for windows vista, so that's not an issue. I'll probably have to call gateway for recovery media, but I think they charge $40-60 dollars for it, so that's irritating. I'm also hesitant to do that because there is a chance that more than the hard drive in the computer was busted and that regardless of installation media the computer might just be shot. Regardless of that, thank you for all your help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.