Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional upgrade

by Taylor S. / April 22, 2010 2:59 PM PDT

I currently have windows vista home premium on my laptop, but i would like to upgrade to windows 7 professional. My school offers software through the MSDNAA. I can get windows vista business through them, as well as windows 7 professional. But, do i have to upgrade to vista business before goint to 7 pro? I read that on the windows website. Also, i'd much rather do the upgrade than the custom/clean install of windows 7. So, do I have the right method of upgrading to pro? Can I upgrade to business and then upgrade to windows 7 professional? Any other suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's what I find
Collapse -
Anytime Upgrade

Hi Taylor,

Steven is correct. You can get the information from the link he provided. You cannot upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional. If you want to go to Windows 7 Professional, I recommend you back up to an external hard drive and do a clean install (though I know that is not the answer you wanted...).

Another option is to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium and then use Anytime Upgrade to move from Home Premium to Professional -

Microsoft Windows Outreach

Collapse -
But can i get the business edition and then go to 7 pro
by Taylor S. / April 23, 2010 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Anytime Upgrade

I understand that I cant go from Vista Home Premium to 7 Professional, and also that I could go from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium and then to 7 Professional. But, because I can only get Windows 7 Professional for free through my school and not Windows 7 Home Premium, can I upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Vista Business and then from Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional? (I can upgrade to Vista Business for free too.) Is that a possibility considering the windows website says that you can upgrade from Vista Business to 7 Pro? Is it possible that this double upgrade step will cause a problem?

Collapse -
Looks like only with a clean installation
by Steven Haninger / April 23, 2010 5:41 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.