Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista frequent "Not Responding"

by rapheek / July 28, 2008 4:24 AM PDT

I was just wondering if there Windows Vista who experience a problem like mine. My Windows Vista frequently not responding. If I do one thing, I have to wait until it's done. If I click a second time on any open program, I get that "Not Responding" error message and I have to wait about 10 to 15 seconds. This is very frequent.

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista frequent "Not Responding"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista frequent "Not Responding"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are your system specs?
by John.Wilkinson / July 28, 2008 4:46 AM PDT
Disabling unnecessary programs may help, but I wonder how equipped your system is for running Vista as well as all the applications that are running in the background. Check Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) and see what the RAM and Processor levels are on the Performance tab.

Collapse -
typically a network issue
by ramarc / July 28, 2008 9:46 AM PDT

are you on a network? does it have more than 1 PC? are you connecting wirelessly?

Collapse -
Vista not responding
by rapheek / July 28, 2008 10:57 PM PDT

Thanks for your answers. I did disable any unnecessary programs. The computer is new and it came with Vista Home Premium. For the applications running in the background, here is the list:

1- Desktop Windows Manager
2- Windows Explorer
3-System Mechanic Analyzer
4- Windows Live Messenger (need this one)
5- ZoneAlarm Client
6- Windows Defender User Interface
7- Symantec User Session
8- Windows Vista Spam Filter
9- Secure VPN Client

The computer is Intel Core 2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80 GHz
Memory (RAM) : 1.00 GB
System type: 32-bit OS
HDD: 300 GB

@ this time I'm typing this, the CPU Usage is : goes from 3% to over 60% (up and down), and the Physical Memory is 76% (the RAM is defragmented very often).

For the network, there is another computer hooked-up to the router, but there is no access from/to that computer (XP SP3). Just hooked-up that XP computer to the router to have access to the internet.

Collapse -
3-System Mechanic Analyzer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2008 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista not responding

That's not stock. You wrote you disabled unnecessary programs but this should be gone to head back to "when it worked." If the machine never worked then call its maker and ask for fix or full refund.

"(the RAM is defragmented very often)."

That's a bad sign. There were discussions about this a long time ago but snake oil and such was mentioned by these purveyors so let's get rid of what does this!

Collapse -
I agree...
by John.Wilkinson / July 29, 2008 2:03 AM PDT

Try ditching System Mechanic for a while and see if it makes a difference. In short, it works, in part, by moving data to the system paging file to free RAM. Unfortunately it may be moving data that it thinks you won't be using when you actually will, so it moves it from RAM to paging file, you request it, it's moved from paging file to RAM, then System Mechanic moves it back again shortly thereafter. Let Vista's memory management fly solo for a while.

Collapse -
Not responding
by rapheek / July 29, 2008 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree...

Thanks John. I'll give it a try. That makes sense.

Collapse -
Are You Still Having Trouble?
by suttondm / August 2, 2008 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Not responding

My laptop does the same thing you described. I just disabled and deleted all the folders in prefetch as one of the guys mentioned.

Please let us know if any of these suggestions work for you.

Collapse -
Add more RAM
by klover2996 / August 1, 2008 1:31 PM PDT

You say that your computer has only 1 GB of RAM. For Vista to run smoothly by itself, typically 2 GB is necessary. 3 GB is ideal to run more efficiently.

Also, when you check your task manager for your running applications, look on the bottom left corner of the window, where it shows "processes". My computer runs around 80 processes, with 3 GB of RAM, and 2.6GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core. Simple programs seem to run smooth on mine. Larger programs (3D programs, graphic design programs, etc.), that require a lot of ram can take longer to load, giving me that "Not Responding" error until it loads.

One other thing that may interest you if you like to run the sidebar is Multi Meter (Dual Core) v1.25a . It displays in real-time how much your RAM and processor are being used.

Hope this helps some

Collapse -
Same Problem but I have 8gb
by JetLiKicksAss / February 10, 2014 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: Add more RAM

Hi. I am having the same problem that rapheek has but I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit and I recently bought this laptop used. It is an alienware m17-r1 and the person fresh installed vista with a support disk that was included in the purchase. I should not have any lag and I have Intel Core Quad 2.0ghz and I have problems all the time. Is it not recognizing all the ram? It doesn't say it's not usable. Any help would be greatly apppreciated. Btw, my system is 64bit capable but I cannot afford upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium. I spent all my money on the laptop.

Collapse -
Thread is 2023 days old.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 10, 2014 8:00 AM PST

I'd make a new post to get the best answers.

Collapse -
64 bit Operating System for you
by James Denison / February 11, 2014 7:28 AM PST
Collapse -
Get more RAM
by mike53_1999 / August 2, 2008 12:54 AM PDT

installing more Ram may help by moving your start up programs faster then you can go to work on the stuff that your what to run.

Collapse -
zonealarm is a killer
by Chief ADFP / August 2, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

remove zonealarm
its a over kill, look around for another firewall. resource hog it butt into the system and have found it not so good
i use webroot firewall.

Collapse -
Vista not responding
by tcjman / June 4, 2009 1:45 AM PDT

1GB memory is not enough for Windows Vista

Collapse -
1 G RAM with vista home premium
by crazy3si / October 28, 2013 2:06 PM PDT

Why did they sell vista home premium with 1 G ram if it wasn't good enough to run it??? I have been dealing with 2 inferior laptops for years now!! I am totally frustrated!

Collapse -
Keep in mind that such is sold for a price
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2013 2:56 PM PDT

And you have to pay for the lag in patience. However I'm encountering folk that are new to computers and may think these are defective.

Collapse -
Vista not responding
by cathubie / October 14, 2009 2:32 PM PDT

I have the same proplem. The computer works fine for a bit then all of a sudden it stops responding, especially when using internet explorer, that seems to clash with everything. I have tried all the suggestions on the microsoft website and had some IT people look at it, but nothing helps. Did you manage to fix your problem or is this just Vista? Microsoft are useless and don't seem to have a solution.

Collapse -
Vista not responding
by crazy3si / September 2, 2014 2:03 AM PDT

I ended up just buying another laptop. I guess I could have upgraded the RAM or upgraded the Windows to 7.

Collapse -
Since you have a spare laptop
by itsdigger / September 2, 2014 2:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
VISTA 'not responding"
by Randy Walter / August 1, 2008 1:30 PM PDT

It is possible 1G RAM is too small. I have a VISTA Home Premium and even as we "speak" I am using 58% of 2G. Perhaps you are getting a fragmented RAM because the CPU is paging (banking or swapping or whatever you want call it) as the CPU trys to execute the programs in the run queue.

Collapse -
Windows Vista not respoding
by Bob DeAngelo / August 1, 2008 7:05 PM PDT

I don't believe it is a resource issue. I have the same problem using an Intel Quad CPU running at 3.0 ghz, 4 ghz Fast Ram, Raid 0, 4 drive 1 TB hard disk subsystem. Very fast viseo, etc. I nnoticed this happenibg on all my computers with different configurations. I belive it is a Vista problem that Microsof has not solved. They just don't test the software enough before they release it. I have had other prpblems that Microsoft support escalated to a high level that still remains open with no known solution. I recently bought an Apple using Lepopard. This is a much better faster and in my opinion,( 35 yrs exp. in the industry and a very highg skill level)and a better opeating system.
Microsoft needs more Beta test sights like mine, before the release their software. If there is a problem I usually find it. I have spent over 50 hours on the phone with the Indians who are clueoless as to what to do. Apple support is still in the U.S., thank God.

Bob dean

Collapse -
by jtmmnm / August 24, 2008 3:07 PM PDT

I agree with your analysis. Vista is the problem. I've had a new Toshiba Turion 64X2 with 3gb RAM and Vista Home Premium for the last six months, and have to force a reboot 5 or 6 times a day.

Sometimes the not responding resolves itself after a couple minutes, but other times, it completely freezes. It may sit there for hours with the circular cursor spinning away if I don't force a reboot. It will freeze under the most unlikely conditions, such as when I'm clicking through my Windows Live Mail inbox.

Of course, Toshiba and Microsoft are clueless as to the cause of the problem.

I challenge CNET and all the experienced techs in the industry to do a scientific analysis of this very common problem and find a resolution. After all, would they want a non-geek like me to accidently stumble upon the cause and find a solution?

Collapse -
Let's Go A Stage Further .....
by Old Dog New Tricks / August 26, 2008 6:58 PM PDT
In reply to: I AGREE

Too many talented people making the same comments cant all be wrong - so why do we never see an official response from Microsoft. With many thousands of them at Redwood, surely someone could offer something.

How about it Mr. Microsoft - dont you want to improve your sales etc

Collapse -
I don't get it...
by Morisot / August 26, 2008 11:55 PM PDT

So I was curious about this thread. I have an HP 8120n with an Intel Core 2Quad @ 2.4GHz running Vista Home Premium (SP1). I do graphics and photos, play games, surf the net, watch TV through it's media center -- often doing two of them at the same time. I'm on the computer every day. I cannot remember EVER having a "not responding" with this computer (and I've had this computer about a year.)

(I know, I haven't updated to SP2 -- but the computer is working so well...)

Collapse -
I Obviously Didn't Explain Very Well
by Old Dog New Tricks / August 27, 2008 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't get it...

I'm with you in that I also have never had a problem (not once, ever - promise), however, there appear to be a lot of people out there who have, hence my suggestion that Microsoft respond.

Incidently, I leave my PC to update automatically, use the standard microsoft firewall, norton (never an attack), spyware terminator (never any issue), download at least 1 new piece of software each week (must have some 50+ by now) just to experiment & learn, and also do significant muli-tasking. HOWEVER, I do follow all the rules and never amend/delete anything strategic without carefully thinking it through.

So:- either

The OS is perfect and a lot of users incl many experts are making a lot of mistakes ...... or just plain unlucky ... or

Just perhaps there are some OS issues still outstanding (hence the large no of patches that we still see) ...... or

sorry, can't think of any others.

ps I can only rate my PC skills as intermediate at best, so I guess I'm also extremely lucky to have had no problems.

Thank you for your comment

Collapse -
by Randy Walter / August 27, 2008 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't get it...

Hey, Morisot. You are the second person the refer to SP2. I am not aware of this new release. Please elaborate as to SP2 so I can get up to speed regarding VISTA.

Collapse -
by Morisot / August 27, 2008 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: SP2

there goes my credibility..

...looks like my computer is running so well on VISTA without SP1

Collapse -
Vista Not responding
by Sfcjones / April 17, 2009 9:49 PM PDT

I would also agree it is a Vista Problem and should Microsoft ever beta test long enough to get rid of the bugs would mean thay would have the best product out there. I will never buy Vista again. If I could get the drivers for my XPS machine I would install XP in a second. Even Office 2007 has some of the same issues....not responding when you try and open a file...itthen reports that it could not find it...well, I just clicked on it.

Collapse -
Toning down the "not responding 'factor
by phalco / April 17, 2009 3:20 PM PDT

I found that by maxing out my RAM helps. I also installed Advanced System Care on my computer.This program is free thru Cnet
I prefer the pro version(which is very reasonable) for it's extra features but the free version will accomplish basically the same things ,one of which is to bring excessive RAM use under control. I had an immediate gain of 15% available. It seems to have brought the 'not responding' factor to a minimum.Perhaps Mr. Microsoft hasn't addressed
this issue is because there may not be a fix for an inherent,built in glitch. Hmmm?

Collapse -
if u got the answer please message me
by mothikikm / December 26, 2010 3:57 PM PST

please give detailed xplaination of the how 2 solve the problem

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.