Windows Vista

Question

windows vista freezes CHKDSK

by luna-z / March 25, 2013 5:04 PM PDT

Hi
I ma doing CHKDSK for my computer, but it stopped at stage 5
the final line says:

93 percent complete. (15413980 of 16724875 free clusters processed.
THis is all what I have with a black screen.
Can you help ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows vista freezes CHKDSK
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows vista freezes CHKDSK
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: chkdsk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 6:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
not responding
by luna-z / March 25, 2013 6:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: chkdsk

thanks for your prompt reply
I tried to do so but the PC does not respond to any key, so how can I type it?

Collapse -
Re: chkdsk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 6:41 PM PDT
In reply to: not responding

You didn't tell tyet he PC didn't respond to any key after you boot from the Windows Vista install DVD. You only told it hangs in step 5 of the normal chkdsk.

Are you sure you booted from that DVD, as that tutorial said?

Kees

Collapse -
did not reboot
by luna-z / March 25, 2013 6:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: chkdsk

No in fact I did not make any reboot.
all what I am doing is waiting.
I have very imprtant ducuments on dowloaded software and I am afraid to loose any of them by doing mistakes.
additionally, I do not have the DVD to reboot from the PC.

Collapse -
Re: no cd
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: did not reboot

That's a problem. Then all you can do is running chkdsk in repair mode during a normal startup. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html tells several ways to do that.

If it still fails, something is wrong with file system on the the hard disk. Then I would copy all files you need (all that 'very important documents') to an external disk and from there to a second computer before restoring to factory conditions (which should format the disk). The user manual should tell how, if the PC didn't come with disks. Maybe you must buy a recovery DVD from the manufacturer if that's the only way.

Maybe even it's a hardware issue with the hard disk. Then you need a new hard disk.

Kees

Collapse -
new step
by luna-z / March 26, 2013 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: no cd

Hi
thank you again.

In fact I did a risk and restarted the PC, and then I could skip the CHKDSK.
Now my PC is working normally.

I havetranscription files saved within a downloaded software ( ELAN ). THey audio and text files are attached someway.
Can you advise me how Ican save my files on external hard ?

Collapse -
Re: saving files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: new step

If you know what files it are, you can copy them to any safe place you want (USB-stick, external hard disk) using Windows Explorer or (My) Computer. Or store them on Dropbox or Microsofts Skydrive or Google Drive (all are free for the first few Gigabyte).

If you don't know what files it are, better find out!

Kees

Collapse -
files type
by luna-z / March 26, 2013 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: saving files

I know the files but the problem that they should be attached to the audio files.

The audio files have the form (wave) initiallty, ELAN software save them in ( eaf )are being format (eaf).
Moving them from hard to hard leads to mismatching between the initial (wave) files and the saved ones in ELAN.
SO it did not wprk when I transfered them. The ( eaf ) files worked without sound. I only have the transcribed text.

Collapse -
Re: files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: files type

Then contact the maker of that software about how to backup and restore (not only at the same machine if you delete something by mistake, but also at a different machine or after a clean install of Windows). They should know.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment about getting the files off a non-booting PC
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2013 1:27 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.