Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista can't connect to internet

by germansal / May 18, 2007 6:09 PM PDT

Hi All
I am using a T-com 1054 Modem and when I go on the Internet using my username and password from the computer I log in fine. But when I put the Username and password in the modem,The modem goes online but I can't access the internet from the computer. When I use a second computer with windows XP it works fine But not with Windows Vista. Is there a special setup I need to do? If its in the forum already can you please tell me where. Thanks germansal

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista can't connect to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista can't connect to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do You Have McAfee Installed?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 5:41 AM PDT

Some folks are having issues with the new McAfee retail program on Vista.. Try disabling it to see if it fixes the problem..

Is the connection wireless or wired?

It's also important to make sure the ethernet and wireless adapter drivers are up to date. Likewise with your modem or router's firmware. Update it if possible.

Links to other discussions about that issue:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=247718&messageID=2486877

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.html?forumID=133&threadID=247887&messageID=2487824

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Wired
by germansal / May 19, 2007 3:13 PM PDT

No Mcafees , I have nortons Installed. The Problem is with the wired internet. Wireless works great on a xp laptop. I heard something you have to give the Vista machine a Dns number? Is that true

Collapse -
Not Necessary But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Wired

...did you try the suggestions in the links I provided? Did you try disabling Norton?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Yes
by germansal / May 19, 2007 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Necessary But...

Yes I did Disable nortons but still the same

Collapse -
Fixed
by germansal / May 30, 2007 5:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Hey I Changed the modem and router and all is well. Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) Good! Bad Hardware Or Firmware Is A Common Cause
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 31, 2007 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed
Collapse -
moderm and router
by annddersson / May 5, 2008 10:31 AM PDT

hey how do you change moderm and router. I can`t connect to internet and i think to solve this i need to change my moderm and router . Can someone help.

Collapse -
Buy New Ones If You Think That Will Solve It..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 6, 2008 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: moderm and router

Vista requires updated hardware.. If your's is old, and nothing else solves the issue, then try some newer stuff.

Unfortunately, you've told us NOTHING about your computer, errors you're seeing, or how you're connecting, so we can't give much more information about a solution.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
wireless
by annddersson / May 5, 2008 11:51 AM PDT

hey
i can`t connect to internet at home but i can connect at school. What can be the problem. can someone help me to solve this.

Collapse -
"Fixed"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2008 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: wireless

See above. I can't guess if you have the same issue but by posting in an old discussion you must have done that since you have the same issue.

Maybe the fix is as above?
Bob

Collapse -
Sonic Solutions DLA
by saswatch / May 31, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

Please advise on the incompatibilty of this driver/card or whatever it's called so that I can connect with the internet. Not getting a bunch of help from Microsoft and the Indian techs.

Thanks,
bigfeetz

Collapse -
Not related to the internet...
by John.Wilkinson / May 31, 2007 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Sonic Solutions DLA

DLA is Drive Letter Access, packet-writing software used to burn CDs/DVDs on-the-fly like you can with floppies. It requires an update, which I mentioned with this tip in the forum sticky, but it is not related to an internet connection. I suspect there is another issue present, one which should be addressed in a new thread with as many details as possible. (What's actually wrong with your internet connection? What internet connection do you have? Have you tried other browsers? etc.)

John

Collapse -
Sonic Solutions DLA Shouldn't Be An Issue For Internet..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 31, 2007 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Sonic Solutions DLA

..and it's not a driver or internet card.. "Drive Letter Access" from Sonic is part of the packet writing software which allows the computer to copy/paste files from the compute to a CD or DVD disc when it's in the drive and formatted. There ARE problems with Sonic's DLA especially when paired with other packet writing software such as Roxio's Drag-to-Disc or Nero's InCD but it shouldn't have anything to do with your internet connection.. In fact, I believe it can be uninstalled from within Control Panel.

Please tell us more about your computer and the problem you've having with internet connection.. Have you updated your ethernet or wireless drivers? What version of Vista do you have installed an is in an upgrade or a new computer which came with Vista?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Sonic solutions
by saswatch / May 31, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

Grif,
You did more in 5 mins than Microsoft or my ISP did all day yessidi. Thanks to you I'm up and running again. It was a Roxio problem.

Kudos on ya,
saswatch

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 31, 2007 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Sonic solutions
Collapse -
ppp authentication
by b_rossi / June 1, 2007 8:23 AM PDT

My guess would be that the vista machine is running a PPP session that is conflicting with the PPP session on the modem. The XP machine is probably just connecting through your existing gateway. My guess would be that you have your username and password in a broadband network wizard that you ran.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Did You Read The Thread..? Problems Were Solved...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 1, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: ppp authentication

We're always grateful for responses but all the concerns in this thread were fixed..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Same problem, SOLVED!
by AirClub4Men / January 3, 2013 8:12 AM PST

All I did was plug in the ethernet card from my older computer into the new (used) PC I just received, that uses Vista, and BAZINGA! Internet connection!
I think the other ethernet plug on the back of my computer was only for DSL. Not sure, but don't care at this point! I had tried everything!
Good Luck, folks!

Collapse -
I thought Bazinga was for a clever prank?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem, SOLVED!

Maybe a Huzzah! would be better.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.