Windows Vista

Question

Windows Vista booting problem

by ooveevoo / February 14, 2013 1:38 AM PST

Hi,
My Acer 5535 laptop is unreliable when booting. Most of the time it will not boot, but after persistently switching on/off, it boots and runs perfectly. I followed advice given to another member about a black screen and using Alt + F10, and, on one of the times that the laptop booted, I used that advice, thus restoring the system to factory condition. It took me all of 14 hours to update with service packs and install some programs. The computer was working like a brand new machine, and I thought that it was fixed, that is until today, when the original fault of intermittent booting is still there.
When it works it is brilliant.
Have any of you really clever people got a solution for me?
Thank you for reading.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista booting problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista booting problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like one of the usual issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 1:41 AM PST

If you are lucky, it's just the HDD going bad. Do you have a spare HDD to test that with?

Also, tell me if you are cleaning it every few months with canned air. If you ask me what is canned air I fear the worst.
Bob

Collapse -
No spare HDD.
by ooveevoo / February 14, 2013 2:57 AM PST

Hi Bob,

Thanks for responding.

Yes I did clean it with canned air, ( inside and out, although it was really clean and free from dust etc anyway).
This laptop belongs to my daughter, and I half expected the cooling fan to be furred up, but no, it was clean. I just phoned her and she told me that she hasn't used the laptop in ages because of the fault, but in no way had it been used in dirty environments. It has always been kept in a laptop bag too.

ooveevoo

Collapse -
Given we can't see what's on the screen at switch on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: No spare HDD.

I have to work with only what's presented here and if the screen comes on and the boot fails then we look at the HDD swap first. It's the cheapest part compared to what else it can be (motherboard.)

But again, details matter. It would matter if some USB stick or device was plugged in but I would be guessing.
Bob

Collapse -
Black screen.
by ooveevoo / February 14, 2013 4:03 AM PST

Hi again Bob,

When I press the start button, it makes the sound as though it's about to boot, but doesn't and the screen stays "totally black", however, if I persist in trying to start it, eventually it will, and it will work all day and as long as I want it too, but sometimes it can take an hour of trying before it will boot.
There are no USB sticks plugged in and no CDs/DVDs in the machine either.

Collapse -
Answer
TOTALLY BLACK SCREEN.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 4:31 AM PST

Try an external monitor and hope it shows something.

On my Acer (another model) I press the Fn and F6 to switch the laptop display on/off.
Bob

Collapse -
Simple reset (fast, safe...)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: TOTALLY BLACK SCREEN.

Power down. Remove AC, remove battery, press, hold power button for 60 seconds, release, slip battery in, apply AC, re-test.

Collapse -
Black screen when booting.
by ooveevoo / February 15, 2013 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: TOTALLY BLACK SCREEN.

Good evening Bob,

After numerous tries, I again got this laptop running.
As you suggested I connected an external monitor and that worked OK (Fn + F5 did the trick), however the intermittent and frustrating booting persists.

I've also tried powering down, removing the battery and AC, then holding down the start button for the 60 seconds, I then released the start button, returned the battery and AC, and then again pressed the start button, it wouldn't boot..

I left the laptop for 18 hours and had another go, and after about 8/9 tries, it booted.

I then opened Device Manager and one by one I double clicked on every item , and the computer confirmed that every device was working correctly.

I've been using the laptop all day and it worked perfectly, but I know that as soon as I switch the darn thing off, it wont want to boot again.

I am beginning to think that the problem might well be a crap connection/dry joint somewhere.

I don't know if you have any other ideas Bob, but thank you for your time and courtesy, you are a gentleman sir.

Collapse -
Solder joints do not dry out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2013 7:02 AM PST

I'm unsure where that idea comes from.

OK. On to the next time. As an engineer there's a joke about something and here's the one line joke. Ready?
"Why do they call them connectors?"

When I see a cranky hard to boot laptop, we first have to define what that means. Ready?
"It turns on but does not boot."

For that we'll pull the battery out and do that reset but leave the battery out. WHY!!
"And old battery can drag the power supply down and cause hard booting issues."

Get ready to hear this.
"I don't want to buy a battery." (tell them to leave it out?)

OK, back to connections and one more thing. Ready?
"Disassemble, unplug and plug all connections and then replace the CMOS BATTERY as it's cheap and we're inside."

Hope this helps,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.