Camcorders forum

General discussion

Windows Vista and Panasonic

by pumpkin18 / May 3, 2007 9:42 PM PDT

Hello. I was wondering if someone can help me.

I purchased Panasonic PV GS 120 camcorder 4 years ago and used it in my trips and home video. I then transfered it, edited it with Adobe premier and burn DVDs and shared it with my friends and family.
Couple of months ago, I bought a new laptop with Windows Vista and the software which came with Panasonic is not compatible. Now, I can't transfer my videos to my laptop with Vista. I phoned Panasonic and wondered when the software will be available but did not become a clear answer. We have a 5 month daughter who I tape regulary but now can't edit the video because of that problem.
What are my options??????

I was thinking of buying a new camcorder but I am pleased with my 'old' one. If I HAVE to buy it, which one can you recommend for $300-500 budget.
Thank you so much for your replies!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista and Panasonic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista and Panasonic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you connect with FIREWIRE?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 9:57 PM PDT

If not we may have just solved your issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Firewire
by pumpkin18 / May 3, 2007 11:04 PM PDT

Hi Bob.
Yes, I did. But the laptop with Vista does not recognize the device (camcorder) because I can't download the software from Panasonic because it is not compatible with Vista.

Collapse -
Now once the firewire is plugged in, use WINDV
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 11:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Firewire
Collapse -
Vista
by pumpkin18 / May 4, 2007 1:34 AM PDT

Bob,
I am not a computer geek, but please let me ask you this. Don't I have to download the software from Panasonic Camcorder and THEN use firewire to transfer the video?? The problem I am having is that I can't download the software from Panasonic because it is not compatible with Vista. I purchased the camcorder 4 years ago and frankly have no desire to purchase a new camcorder and spent $ 600 just because it will be compatible with Vista.
Having said that, if this is my only choice, I will buy a new camcorder because I would like to make home editing movies.
Please let me know if I am missing something here.
Panasonic was no help so far.. THank you for your replies.

Collapse -
No I didn't have to.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista

Firewire video transfer is a 'standard' so no driver would be required past what's in the OS. I can see that some would like to use what the maker provided but in this case it's time to move on.

Bob

Collapse -
Firewire
by pumpkin18 / May 4, 2007 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No I didn't have to.

Thank you, Bob for your replies. I actually just tried to use the Firewire cable (I thought I used it before, but apparantly not ( I guess I used the USB cable), but it looks like my Dell Laptop with Vista does not have the output for Firewire. Can it be?? I checked my old HP and does have the Firewire output. Do I have to buy the output for laptop and install it? If so which one? Thank you soo much! Irene

Collapse -
Yup, the USB would be a sort of dead end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewire
Collapse -
Dell
by pumpkin18 / May 4, 2007 2:33 AM PDT

I have a DELL Laptop Inspiration 1501. Thanks for the links. I am actually going to Best Buy today and I will buy the output (I hope they will be able to help me there which card to buy) and then, I will try to install it.
Are you the moderator on this board? I hope it will work so that I don't have to buy a new camcorder.
Thanks a million for your help!!

Collapse -
Looks like that 1501 uses the ExpressCard.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell

Be sure to check it again.

Bob

Collapse -
Just came back from Best Buy
by pumpkin18 / May 4, 2007 6:55 AM PDT

I just came back from Best Buy and the only had one type of card but what I noticed is that the input whole is bigger than my Firewire end thing.. I am confused now.. Are there 2 (or more?) different Firewire cables with different endings? Panasonic input for Firewire is very small so if I buy a new Firewire cable with wider endings it won't fit into my camcorder.. I am confuuuuused.
I don't know what to buy now.. My old HP laptop has a small ending.. I am wondering if I can use the card from my old HP and put it into my new DELL laptop? Hmmm.. to many questions.. Thanks for your input and sorry if I confused anyone.
Irene

Collapse -
YES! That's a 6 wire firewire and there are also 4 wire...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 7:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ok. Got the Express card and new firewire..
by pumpkin18 / May 19, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

and tried to capture the video using Premier Elements from Adobe and it says "Device is offline" ?????
Since I am not using Panasonic Software because it is not compatible with Vista, is that the problem? Should I use the link you sent to capture video first and then edit with Premier Elements??
Thanks for all your help!

Collapse -
Why not try?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 4:51 AM PDT

You could save a post and a turn by trying suggestions...

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, I could, but
by pumpkin18 / May 19, 2007 4:59 AM PDT

I wanted to spare one additional step since I will be Using Premier Elements anyway and did not want to use WINDV if it is necesseray.. Thanks for your help! This site is great!

Collapse -
In that case you paid dearly for that software... then...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I could, but

Make the call. Ask for a fix or a refund.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, I don't understand your post..
by pumpkin18 / May 19, 2007 5:12 AM PDT

Meanwhile, I downloaded WINDV and tried to capture but received an error 'Device not found'
I connected everything, Firewire and Panasonic camcorder is on, what else am I missing?? Can't wait to get it resolved.. Thanks again!

Collapse -
For me this just works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 5:15 AM PDT

When it doesn't I usually discover the owner's PC has an issue such as outdated motherboard drivers or... they never knew they had to do this.

Looking back I don't see enough detail about the PC.

As to other than PC issues, if I have my camcorder OFF on switched to the wrong mode, WINDV does error like that. Since you can try each setting and power it up I suggest you do that.

Bob

Collapse -
Just to clarify what's missing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 5:17 AM PDT

I see a Dell Inspiron with Vista. But no story on how Vista got on there. Remember I know nothing of those details and it does matter.

Also exactly which Firewire card did you get? Those DYNEX cards tend to not work.

Bob

Collapse -
"I connected everything," REALLY?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 5:19 AM PDT

One owner had both the USB and the FIREWIRE cabled connected. DETAILS please.

Collapse -
I got this card..
by pumpkin18 / May 19, 2007 5:26 AM PDT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839150007.. the one you recommended and new Firewire for $ 35.
I put the USB cable away since it does not work..I promise.. I don't even know where it is now.. it is useless anyway..
I disconnected everything now and tried again, I turned on the camcorder to playback mode, but it still says Device not found..
I don't know what to do at this point.. Sad
Collapse -
Try other modes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I got this card..

And on mine I have to swing open the display, pull up the viewer or "other" for it to turn on.

Tell me EXACTLY how you know it's "on."

Bob

Collapse -
When I go to my Computer..
by pumpkin18 / May 19, 2007 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Try other modes.

it does not say that it found Panasonic camcorder.. that is another reason I know the laptop does not recognise the device.. It tells me that I have to install the software for Panasonic in order to recognise the system..
I checked the 'Help' file in Adobe and did all the steps they said how to capture the video but as I mentioned, my computer does not recognise the camcorder in the first place.. Any ideas what to do next? Thank you so much.

Collapse -
Recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 6:54 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.