Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Windows updates won't install after XP service 3 installed

by Prandy / June 15, 2008 6:21 AM PDT

I took my brand new Dell Inspiron 530 Windows XP Professional Quad Core Q6600 out of the box on May 30 directed Windows Updates to download and install updates immediately. These installed fine:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2008 (KB890830)
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)
Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
This one would not install:
Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)

On June 2, I installed Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student edition. My Windows updates are set for daily automatic install but nothing is updating even when I go to the windows update website and do an ?express install.?. The following updates have downloaded but failed to install on several occasions with the following error message which I got again today.

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.
Microsoft Office 2007
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB947801)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB946974)
Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB946691)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB950113)
Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB951808)
2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Microsoft Windows XP
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951698)
Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB950760)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB950762)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951376)
Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 (KB923689)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)
Needless to say, the Windows website is worthless as far as explaining how to fix this mess. I notice a google search reveals others having similar problems.
HELP !!!!!!!! Any suggestions how to fix this would be appreciated. The computer is fast and runs fine.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows updates won't install after XP service 3 installed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows updates won't install after XP service 3 installed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can try ...
by Kees Bakker / June 15, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

the "no-charge security related support", starting from http://www.microsoft.com/protect/default.mspx

But as this is an OEM PC, it's possible they tell you to solve it with Dell. But it's worth a try, I'd say. Luckily, you're still in the Dell warranty period.

Kees

Collapse -
Solution - this worked for me
by paulchwd / June 15, 2008 8:51 PM PDT
http://www.pchell.com/support/windows_updates_download_but_wont_install.shtml

Download the Latest Version of Windows Update Agent

Click on the following link to download the latest version of the Windows Update Agent and save it to your desktop.

(http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe)

Note

If you receive a message stating the Update Agent is already installed follow these extra steps:

1. Click Start, Run
2. Click the Browse button
3. Navigate to where you saved WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe on your desktop and click it one time
4. Click on the Open button
5. In the run menu, go to the end of the line it just populate. After the last quotation mark type the following

/wuforce

6. The line should look something like the following now:

"C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" /wuforce
7. Click Ok and install the Update Agent
Collapse -
Worked for me too!!!
by pete.adlington / June 16, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

I've been manually downloading hotfixes for months... thanks for this excellent tip!

Collapse -
Thanks - I followed steps exactly but it did not work
by Prandy / June 20, 2008 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here is the solution that worked for me:
by Prandy / June 20, 2008 4:33 AM PDT

From another forum:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/606483-windows-update-fail.html

Try this:

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Copy and paste each of the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Then run the update again . .

Collapse -
Re-registering the Windows Update DLLs solved the problem
by LDaniele / July 13, 2008 2:57 AM PDT

Prandy's solution re-registering the Windows Update DLLs solved the problem for me as well. Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.