Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Windows Updates Won't Install after Repair Install of XP

by YoYo2008 / November 9, 2007 2:14 AM PST

I was using Latitude D600 and Latitude D620. After completeing a Repair install of Windows XP, Windows update will not install. I didn't get any error messages. It downloads all of the updates but fails to install.

After two days of trying, I'm VERY HAPPY to report that the method below works!!!!! (Method 1)

Good Luck.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144

If the link above won't work then follow the steps below. Sorry about the formatting, but this works. I tried about 30 methods recommended on other sites and I was finally able to install updates by following the Microsoft's method below.

=====================================
Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP installation
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 943144
Last Review : October 26, 2007
Revision : 2.2
On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

RESOLUTION

Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows

Method 2: Download and install the Windows Update Agent

AgentWindows, x86-based systems

Windows, x64-based systems

Windows, Itanium-based systems

STATUS
SYMPTOMS
When you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web site, or by using the Automatic Updates feature, you receive a message that states that the update or the updates were not installed successfully. However, the updates are not displayed in the Update History part of the Web site.

You experience this problem if the following conditions are both true:? You try to update a computer that is running Windows XP.
? You have repaired the Windows XP installation by using the Windows XP CD.

Back to the top

CAUSE
This problem occurs because of how the Windows XP repair operation replaces Windows system files. When you repair a Windows installation by using a Windows XP CD, the repair operation performs both of the following operations:? It replaces all the Windows system files with the corresponding files from the CD.

Note This includes the Windows Update files.
? It restores the Windows registry.
The latest version of Windows Update includes a file that was not available in the release version of Windows XP. This file is named Wups2.dll. Therefore, after the repair operation is complete, the following situation exists:? The Wups2.dll file remains on the computer.
? The registry entries that correspond to this file are missing.
Because the registry files that correspond to the Wups2.dll file are missing, update installations are unsuccessful.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.
Back to the top

Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows
To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:1. Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv

2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv
4. Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER.

Back to the top

Method 2: Download and install the Windows Update Agent
To resolve this problem, follow these steps: 1. Download the appropriate version of the Windows Update Agent to a known location. To do this, visit one of the following Web sites.
AgentWindows, x86-based systems
http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe (http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe)
Windows, x64-based systems
http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x64.exe (http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe)
Windows, Itanium-based systems
http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/WindowsUpdateAgent30-ia64.exe (http://download.windowsupdate.com/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/7.0.6000.381/windowsupdateagent30-ia64.exe)
2. Click Start, click Run, click Browse, locate the file that you saved in step 1, and then click Open.
3. Add the /wuforce switch to the end of the run command, and then click OK. For example, the run command may appear as the following:
C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe"/wuforce
4. Click Run.
5. Follow the steps to complete the wizard.
================================================

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Updates Won't Install after Repair Install of XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Updates Won't Install after Repair Install of XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Great and useful information.........
by tallin / November 9, 2007 6:57 AM PST

Thanks for posting back with your fix, very helpful for us all

kind regards,

Collapse -
My pleasure
by YoYo2008 / November 9, 2007 8:19 AM PST

I had to use the same fix again today. It looks like this is going to be a standard thing when ever we use repair install. Makes the process even longer. At leaset it works.

You're welcome

Collapse -
I have posted this before, but..............
by tallin / November 9, 2007 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: My pleasure

You may have missed it, I have other good fixes also so if you need other help post back and I will give you the links -

Step 1:
Verify that your computer's date and time are accurate and that Internet Explorer language option is not empty.
To check the language setting in Internet Explorer:
1. Click "Tools" and then choose "Internet Options"
2. Click the lanuage button
3. Make sure at least one language is listed in the "Language Options" dialog.

When checking your date (including the year) and time, also check the Internet Time and Time Zone. Double click on the date/time in the notification/system tray area (near the clock) select Internet Time Tab and then select update now. If it's not already checked, check automatically synchronize with an internet Time Server - WinXP.

Step 2:
Also check these settings:
1. Tools>Internet Options> Advanced
2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
4. Uncheck "Check for server certificate revocation".

Step 3:
Also delete Temporary Internet Files
1. Tools>Internet Options >General
2. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files, Clck OK

Step 4:
1. Tools> Internet Options > Security
Click Trusted sites, click Default level.
Click the sites button and clear the checkbox "Require server verification"
(http:) for all sites in this zone."
Now add the following:
http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

If required, reboot and try Windows Update again. If still no success, have a look at the following links for more clues.

Further information:

You have not mentioned error code notifications, but this information is valuable just the same if you ever were to bump into these problems.

Error 0x800A138F
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/0x800a138f.htm

The aim here is to help you solve this 0x800A138F problem and have you updating your Windows XP Professional or Home Edition computer as soon as possible.
http://updatexp.com/0x800A138F

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.
http://www.petri.co.il/wu_problems_800a138f.htm
0x800A138F

Make sure you haven't got anything blocking Windows Update like
Nortons,
Zonealarm etc
Also make sure you don't have a Web Accelerator working in the backgound such as
Net Zero
HiSpeed
Speedband etc

Clear out your temporary internet cache

Try a reboot and then try WU again.

Are there any specific error codes that you do see?
At what point does it continue when checking for the latest software, or when checking for updates?

Still no joy, then try Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click START, Choose Run
In the Run box, type "services.msc. " (without the quotes)
Click OK
Right click the Automatic Updates service,
Click stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder :
a. Click Start, click Run, type "%systemroot%" (without the quotes" and then click OK.
b. Right click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click START
Choose Run
In the Run box, type "services.msc." without the quotes"
Click OK
Right -click the Automatic Updates service
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

Reboot if appropriate and try WU again.

Note when you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder - you will loose your history but not important.

Your Windows Update problem is exactly the same as I was having sometime ago and by going through the above (supplied from a Microsoft Newsgroup exchange) you should correct your problem and allow you to download and install WU's again.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to post back if you have a further question.

Collapse -
This is pretty simple and seems to work well
by PudgyOne / November 9, 2007 5:54 PM PST

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Rick

Collapse -
did not work for me
by cinders19 / May 13, 2008 1:13 PM PDT

when I was entering these all was going great untio the wups2.dll, it said it was not found. what can I do?
also I tried the top fix for agent 5.8.02469. It downloads and seems to be installing and just before it's finish, I got an "extraction failed wusetup.exe is not a valid win32 application". I am running windows xp sp2. These problems started after I had to do a major restore with disk.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
cindi

Collapse -
More information is needed.
by PudgyOne / May 13, 2008 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: did not work for me

Make and model of your computer, operating system and what happening. The words in red when you posted state

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

It may be wiser to make a new post so others can view your problem. They may be able to help you sooner.

Rick

Collapse -
my windows xp home wont update after repair install
by itsjusmee / May 22, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

OK....now before you read the title and tell me to go elsewhere on the forum for answered questions...please not i have already done this....i have registered my dll files for windows update....ive reinstalled windows update ive done everything that i have seen to do in the past 5 forums and NOTHING!!!!! can someone help?

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try post 5?
by PudgyOne / May 22, 2008 2:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
windows home wont update after repair install....(post 5)
by itsjusmee / May 22, 2008 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try post 5?

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Is this what you are talking about....if so yes i have tried this....twice and rebooted both times

Collapse -
You have to
by PudgyOne / May 22, 2008 2:52 AM PDT

go here and validate your version of Windows again, then the updates will download and install.

Rick

Collapse -
i have same problem on my laptop
by cinders19 / May 23, 2008 7:33 AM PDT

When I try to put this one in (regsvr32 wups2.dll) it says not found. What can I do?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.