Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Windows updates / IE7?

by eddie11013 / November 15, 2006 4:31 AM PST

Not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, but here goes anyway. When IE7 came out, I noticed a lot of 'issues' so I decided to opt out of the auto install, for the time being, per some guidance here about a certain procedure, which I performed. Now, here comes windows updates, and included is the IE7 install. I don't see how to uncheck the IE7 install from the rest of the updates. Will it be stopped per the previous action?
Dell dimension 2350, 2.0GHz, Windows XP Pro, SP2, 1GB, cable modem.
Thanks in advance,
Eddie

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows updates / IE7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows updates / IE7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blocker toolkit will not expire as per Microsoft
by Donna Buenaventura / November 15, 2006 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Windows updates / IE7?

Hi Eddie,

I did not apply the blocker for IE7 but as per Microsoft, if the "Internet Explorer 7 Blocker Toolkit" is in placed, it will not expire.

"Once the blocking registry key value is set to its blocked value, automatic delivery of the update will be deactivated permanently as long as the registry key value is not removed or changed."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7blockertoolfaq.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4516A6F7-5D44-482B-9DBD-869B4A90159C&displaylang=en

"I don't see how to uncheck the IE7 install from the rest of the updates"
Did you select "express" or "custom" in Windows Update website? Do you see it in the High-Priority or Optional section of Windows Update website?

As per Microsoft, if you have blocked it before and click "express", the toolkit will prevent in being offered.
If you click "Custom", it will be offered as Optional update only instead of High Priority.

Kindly ensure that the blocker is still in placed by making sure that:
Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\7.0
Key value name: DoNotAllowIE70

has the the 1 as value.

Collapse -
Sometimes the 'elevator' doesn't go to the top floor, LOL
by eddie11013 / November 15, 2006 5:46 AM PST

Thanks Donna. Well, I checked the 'key' and it wasn't there. So I reactivated the blocker, but for some reason it didn't seem to work. So, since you turned on the light, regarding "custom" install, I did the updates that way. And I got a warning from Microsoft about unchecking IE7. So be it. Later on, I'm sure I will install IE7, just not today.
Thanks again,
Eddie

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome Eddie :)
by Donna Buenaventura / November 15, 2006 10:46 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) To uncheck IE7, use custom and box is there
by DarCLew2 / November 15, 2006 7:32 AM PST
Collapse -
IE7 is a must..
by castingRod47 / November 24, 2006 6:18 PM PST

I believe you MUST use IE7..there is no more IE6 for the User's who are compatible..
There were problems with the Early BETA version of IE7..
Useing ADD/Remove Programs would Roll You Back to IE6..
I also DownLoaded the New WMP-11..and the first UPDATE was for a WMP-10..go figure..!!
My PC is running very well..no problems that I have NOT had in the past..PC's tend to be "pesky"..I have found that USEING Reset DEFAULTS and then re-Configureing is the only solution to a slowed down PC..
Also learning the Start-Menu-Properties section for Clearing un-used stuff.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.