Windows Legacy OS

Question

Windows Updates

by HelpTech007 / April 14, 2012 12:21 PM PDT

Hello Everyone!
If anyone can help me, I would like to know if it is possible to run windows update through the command line?

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re Windows Update
by mchainmchain / April 14, 2012 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Updates
Collapse -
Re Windows Update
by HelpTech007 / April 14, 2012 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Re Windows Update

Actually I was having problem recently since I did all the updates thought windows updates, till there was no more updates left to install at my workplace computer and surprisingly another coworker told me, there were about 75 updates left to install on that particular computer. I don't know how this happened since windows updates said, there were no more. Them I was thinking if there could be an straight way to do it all at once by using the commamd prompt without missing any of them.

Thanks for your help

Collapse -
If you run
by Jimmy Greystone / April 14, 2012 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Re Windows Update

If you run two versions of the same program, why would you expect the results to be different? Especially when they would both be pulling their information from the same central location?

Collapse -
Windows Update
by HelpTech007 / April 15, 2012 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: If you run

I expect the results to be different since things done using the command prompt go straight and faster than using the graphical interface even though like you said the information is being pulled from the same source.
Thanks

Collapse -
Re: updates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Update
Collapse -
That would be
by Jimmy Greystone / April 15, 2012 1:22 AM PDT

That would be a very incorrect assumption. Odds are, if there is any kind of command line tool for Windows Update, then the graphical version is just a front end around that program. Why would Microsoft go to all the trouble of creating two separate versions when they can just create a program that runs the command line tool, traps the output and formats it in a more aesthetically pleasing way? Why duplicate that effort, especially if the command line version were somehow always superior? That's a completely false assumption, but even for the sake of argument, it makes no real sense.

Even assuming they did reimplement the program twice, they are still both comparing the current state of the system against the same list of available updates, so I again don't understand why it is you'd expect the results to be any different.

You have two sets of data, one being the updates applied to a specific system, and then the master list of all available updates. No matter how many different programs you have parse that data, you're going to wind up with the same results.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove some unnecessary text on 04/15/2012 at 8:52 PM PT

Collapse -
Windows Update
by HelpTech007 / April 15, 2012 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: That would be

Thanks everyone for your help and comments!
But as far I can see, there's no solution to my questions.

Thanks

Collapse -
Well, there's one
by mchainmchain / April 15, 2012 4:57 PM PDT

more thing you might want to know.

You need to know if you have all available updates for Windows.

See: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

This program updates once a month shortly after Microsoft issues the monthly updates.

The Belarc update is done manually by the user, and running the program produces a detailed report of your computer, including Microsoft security updates. If it finds an update that is not installed properly, it will tell you that. If you are missing an update or two, it will tell you that, and provide a direct link to the missing update.

It seems you need verification, and this program will provide that for you.

Collapse -
There's one
by HelpTech007 / April 15, 2012 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, there's one

Thanks for the information about Belac Advisor, I been using it for years but is for personal use only.

Collapse -
That's a good personal solution.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2012 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: There's one

If this is for a business you pay up and you're done!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
command line tool for windows updates
by smihi1 / May 3, 2012 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Updates

Hi,

I have the automatic update disabled and only use wuinstall for windows updates. you can look for updates and install them with commands like wuinstall /search, wuinstall /download and wuinstall /install
there are also commands for managing restarts etc.
maybe take a look at their website: www.wuinstall.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.