Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Update things I am running 2000/NT,XP OR VISTA

by bac0926 / September 24, 2007 7:35 AM PDT

I have a problem I recently reloaded Widows over itself(not a clean install)
as a result all my Windows Updates were wiped out. Now when I go to Windows Update to try and
and download the updates it thinks that I am running 2000/NT,XP OR Vista as a result it tell me that I have to be logged as ?Administrator? to do so. In 98SE there is no such thing as ?Administrator?
How can I get Win98SE to tell Windows update that it's not 2000/NT,XP or Vista and that there is no such thing as Administrator?. I contacted MS asking if you can still download old updates for Win98se they said you can.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update things I am running 2000/NT,XP OR VISTA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update things I am running 2000/NT,XP OR VISTA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Update things I am running 2000/NT,XP
by bac0926 / September 30, 2007 3:51 AM PDT

ok...tried every thing listed
1)don't have firewall,
2)2) ISP has not changed. had this problem once before and the only way I solved it was a clean install. Makes no sense to do that again if the problem will return.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
My windows 98 does not support REGEDIT4 so I used REGEDIT
My register only has: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft
there is no entry for IE.
Under Microsoft I have + System Certificates and +Trust
the ?actual message? is on the M.S windows update website first it says

?checking for the latest version of windows update software?
then it changes and you get
(lower case I) then ?
?Administrators Only?
?to install items from Windows Update you must be logged on as Administrator or
a member of the Administrator group?
Then tells how to logon to administrator under windows 2000,windows XP or Windows server 2003
I did a Google search on this and found this MS KB article
but it talks about XP and 2000.
Though it talks about ?catroot2? folder (which is in XP) in 98 I have A simple c:\windows\catroot and C:\windows\system\CatRoot
folders. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Collapse -
Sorry I don't have a 98 machine to duplicate this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2007 5:09 AM PDT notes the end of time has come and gone. Let's try alternatives.

1. There was NO security issue in Windows 98 that when you disable file and printer sharing that required ANY patch. You could use 98 without a firewall and nothing would happen. I am not talking about security issues with applications like IE or OE!!!

2. Since IE/OE had issues you could simply not use those and use fine replacements.

Remember there are no security updates since last year so item 3 can be it's stand-in.

Good luck,

Collapse -
by Blue_Zee / October 1, 2007 6:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Windows update thinks I have Win 2000,nt or XP
by bac0926 / October 2, 2007 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

nice try. but every time I go to Microsoft for any download it still thinks I have 2000,NT, or XP all instructions apply only to 2000,NT or XP
Tried downloading the unofficial SP. Downloaded it when it tried to open it it crashed saying "resource not available"

Collapse -
From memory that's a damaged OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

I wonder if you installed something other than just the OS prior to that unofficial SP?

Some will install firewalls, blockers and more before it's patched.

Collapse -
by bac0926 / October 3, 2007 10:35 AM PDT

To the best of my recollection I didn't add any thing. but if it matters the system is essentially Win98SE without any updates

Collapse -
Need more clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2007 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: CAN'T OPEN UOFFICAL sp

Sorry it doesn't work for you.

I didn't read much about the machine so I wonder if it has more than 512MB RAM.

Collapse -
by bac0926 / October 4, 2007 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Need more clues.

it has 760m

Collapse -
For dos based Windows... 512MB or less please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2007 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: CAN'T OPEN UOFFICAL sp

More and it goes wonky.

Collapse -
by Me, Myself and You / October 25, 2007 12:07 AM PDT

you can alter some files to let it run on apparently up to 2GB of RAM. I had it running fine on 1GB of RAM (very fast) but adding any more made it go bad.

I hate to say it, but the time of 9x has long passed. You can pick up Windows XP/2000 for dirt these days and with a simple RAM upgrade they'll run on pretty much any computer from present right back to the mid 90's.

Hate to sound arrogant but there's really no excuse in not upgrading anymore.

Collapse -
answe to windows 98 problem
by knight2448 / October 6, 2007 1:44 PM PDT

The easiest thing that I can say is that you should wipe the hard drive clean and then perform a clean install. Then you should try updating windows 98se.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Install IE6 before attempting update
by skycatcher / October 22, 2007 12:26 AM PDT

This may (or may not) be the cause of the problem....!

I don't believe that Windows Update works with IE5 so download and install IE6 first - Updates still working as of 22/10/2007

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.