Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Update No Longer Functioning

by nine8102 / January 6, 2004 4:44 AM PST

I've got: XP Home (v5.1 build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633: SP1) on an Emachine/AMD-2800/320GB/512MB/NVidia Chipset/FICA AU31 mainboard

When I go to Windows Update, I can choose my desired updates. When the java screen comes up that asks if I accept the EULA, I hit "yes" and then i get the download progress popup, where it shows two empty bars and "Preparing to Download". It must be a helluva preparation because it never happens, even after hours of waiting. Even with the Norton Personal Firewall disable and even unloaded. Nothing.

So I figured I'd just update IE and see if that solves the problem. I went to Microsoft and got the latest IE6 Setup and I click on it. I get the EULA yes/no, hit yes/next --> Windows 2000/XP Install (no options) Next --> Preparing to update Windows and then an error message that says "Setup has detected a newer version of Internet explorer already on this system. Setup cannot continue".

So.....is there a registry tweak I can do to force this to allow it to happen? Ot is it never that easy? I don't believe it to be a firewall issue nor a popup issue. I don't know what caused this or when it started (a while ago).

Autoupdate still happens for the critical updates, but that's all i'm getting out of it.

Also, possibly related, when i click on a link and a popout comes up (a desirable one with more info or whatever), it's just an empty window that never loads its information. Just blank.

When I run Mozilla Firebird (really an awesome browser for most things), this doesn't happen. Shouldn't be a conflict because Firebird isn't really installed. It's just in a directory.

So....any help? If anyone thinks there onto something and needs more information, don't hesitate to write me direct at nine8102@frys.com

T H A N K S in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update No Longer Functioning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update No Longer Functioning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows Update No Longer Functioning
by Pretender / January 6, 2004 10:06 AM PST

I am new to XP, but was told in a forum that XP does not now come with Java due to the dispute between ms and sun. I have just downloaded Java on my computer, but have not installed yet. My Windows Update has worked fine though, so perhaps there's another problem? Microsoft has a dedicated forum to Windows Update problems. You might go to www.microsoft.com and hunt the forum down.

Collapse -
Ck this thread out first. Robert knows his stuff!
by Pretender / January 6, 2004 10:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Windows Update Newsgroup isn't made easy to find to here's link>>>
by Pretender / January 6, 2004 10:21 AM PST
Collapse -
FYI, should you be interested in the error,
by Cursorcowboy / January 6, 2004 9:36 PM PST

please read through the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) article, "[Q304872]" that discusses the error reported.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.