PC Applications forum

General discussion

Windows Update & Microsoft Update not working

by pcfreak / August 29, 2005 7:32 PM PDT

Ever since i reformatted my pc, i wasn't able to access windows update. the same goes for microsoft update too. whenever i click the link on the start menu or type in the address, it just loads for a few seconds and then it stops loading but on the bottom of the ie windows it says "done". i've tried updating to sp2, enabling activeX, and adding the links as "trusted sites" in ie but none of them seem to work. how can i repair this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update & Microsoft Update not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update & Microsoft Update not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple of things to check
by TONI H / August 29, 2005 10:01 PM PDT

First is that you won't be able to access the site if you're using a browser other than IE so close that other browser first before trying to get to the update center.

Second is to make sure that in Internet Options (of IE in Control Panel), check to make sure that IE is set as the default Program....even if you change it again later to the browser of your choice.

Third is to try doing a 'repair' of IE6.....go to Add-Remove Programs, locate IE6 & Internet Tools, click Remove, and in the choices given in the next menued window, choose Repair.....then reboot the computer and see if that works now for the update center.

Fourth would be to do a new 'setup' and installation of IE6 so it can repair/overwrite any corrupt files that couldn't be fixed before. Try doing a search for a file called ie6setup.exe and then be on the internet when you click it. You should see a download/install window pop up showing the progress of this 'new' install.

Collapse -
One more thing to check
by TONI H / August 29, 2005 10:03 PM PDT

If you have a program such as SpySweeper, look at the HOSTS file (do a search for it...it WON'T have an extension so it will be easy to spot). Open that file in Notepad or Wordpad and see if that program has put the update center (just about any MS site could be listed there) in its blacklist and if you find it, just edit it out of the list and save the file again.

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by qqqqqqqman / March 23, 2006 6:30 PM PST

My problem is similar in that I cannot update from the IE tool bar. I get a plain white screen when I click on the link to update windows. I looked in Control panel - add-remove programs for the IE6, so that I could repair it from there, but I don't even see anything there for IE or the explorer. What has happened and what are your suggestions for repair?
Many thanks,

Collapse -
I had the same problem
by daleadjfan / November 18, 2005 5:25 AM PST

I had to disable my Web accelerator to do the Windows update.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.