Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Update keeps updating the same files

by CaJazzman / January 28, 2011 2:51 AM PST

I had to reformat my pc about two weeks ago. Ever since the Windows Automatic Updates will download and install the same 4 updates:
Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB983583)

Windows XP Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241)

Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)

Windows XP Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)

This has been happening at least 3 to 4 times daily for over a week. So, I have since turned off the Automatic Updates, but I really shouldn't have to turn them off. Might there be a solution to this issue?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update keeps updating the same files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update keeps updating the same files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Widely discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 3:00 AM PST

Since this has been so well discussed I wonder if the prior answers are unacceptable.

The usual fixes are uninstall and reinstall .NET or tell Windows Update to ignore that update (not advised) if you missed it.

Collapse -
Unsure next step
by CaJazzman / January 28, 2011 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Widely discussed.

When you say uninstall and reinstall .NET, what exactly are you referring too? I ask because I have Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2,Microsoft .Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2, Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1, Microsoft Framework 3.5 SP1, and Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Client Profile installed, on my pc. I'm not sure if all of these are required, or not. So, what do I do or need to do, to fix my issue?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: Unsure next step

I am still left to guess what you know or don't know. This discussion is now in the thousands so let's keep it short.

Uninstall and reinstall the .NET versions you need.

Collapse -
by CaJazzman / January 28, 2011 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

So which ones do I need or don't need? Do I uninstall all of them, and then reinstall them? Let me know which?

Collapse -
I uninstall all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: All?

The only one I run into that is required on some machines is .net 2.0 for ATI cards.

But uninstalling them all is well, we are now going to repeat all the prior discussions about this. These are not needed to run Windows and if an app complains we install the .net we need for that.

Sorry but after some hundred discussions on this, I now have to keep it short.

Collapse -
by CaJazzman / January 28, 2011 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: I uninstall all.

I was able to uninstall all of the .Net files, and was able to reinstall the .Net Framework 4 Client Profile, but the rest will not reinstall. So far I've tried four times and four times have failed to install them. Now what?

Collapse -
Re: now what?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: Odd

Now tell more details:
1. How did you uninstall?
2. What exactly did you (try to) reinstall?
3. What exactly happened? Or: how did it fail?

And why do you need the version 4 client profile?

Collapse -
What are you trying to install and why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Odd

Remember we want to uninstall .net (all of them.)

We don't need to reinstall ANY of the .NET FRAMEWORKS unless an app complains. I've yet to find a .NET 4 app so why install that?

Collapse -
PS. Forgot a step.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 5:58 AM PST

Sorry but we are REPEATING prior discussions. Reboot after removing .NET or installing the next one just in case.

Collapse -
PS. Remember. Widely discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 6:02 AM PST
Collapse -
So Far so good
by CaJazzman / January 28, 2011 6:24 AM PST

Ok, I uninstalled the .Net 4, and so far everything is good. I still keep getting the automatic update yellow shield.So I turn off the updates. Now I hope everything is good. I even went to that Microsoft link, and did the fix. I'm not getting any errors anywhere as of yet. So, I hope this works, but I still would like to have the updates alert on, but I'm not sure if I need them on.

Collapse -
by CaJazzman / January 28, 2011 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: So Far so good

So, Now I can update manually from the website, but so far I still get the yellow shield automatic update alerts. Let's see after I update these if it continues of stops when non are available.

Collapse -
So Frustrating
by CaJazzman / January 28, 2011 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: Updating

Well, before I would have a constant update yellow shied where it would say I had four updates to install. Now get one and then three updates to install. Still it keeps saying I need to install the same four but just a different way. I'm just so frustrated with Windows Update installing the same four constantly. I do not want to reformat again. So I just turned off the automatic updates.

Collapse -
Can you supply the KB numbers?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2011 10:57 AM PST
In reply to: So Frustrating
Collapse -
Cleanup tool
by CaJazzman / January 29, 2011 1:15 AM PST

I did use it both in default and aggressive mode without any change.

Collapse -
Then the news is grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: Cleanup tool

In a few cases the usual did not fix it I found a machine with registry blockers installed (Teatimer or Norton for example) or a corrupted OS.

For those few machines we never found a cure anyone liked. We had some luck with use of the "XP REPAIR INSTALL" (see google) but the other half was in sad shape as we can only guess that five years of use and the usual trojans and more had dinged up the OS too much.

If this was something I wanted to clean up and give it one more go I'd take Grif's advice at;msg5070551 and hope it finds some pests.

Collapse -
I'm the One Doing All the Yes Helpful Checks
by lesliebuc / September 8, 2012 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Then the news is grim.

I'm working on this VERY SAME PROBLEM, have a Tracked Discussion of my own, lesliebuc. Have been helped by several of you at various times. Bob, many many many people would not have seen all the previous discussion that you saw, remember, and some of the Links are no longer working OR, maybe a 2009 I.E. 8 problem still sometimes rears its ugly head(?) I don't think so. It was mostly blamed on a couple of Comcast add-ons, they surely must have corrected by now. I don't have them in Add/Remove.

Nor do I have any .NET frameworks at all showing in Add/Remove since downloading a CNET uninstaller that I found by search, the same way I found this discussion. I didn't think the uninstaller worked because when I clicked the Setup Icon on my desktop screen, it didn't SEEM to do anything. Sorry, I didn't write down my KB numbers, guess I thought they'd always be in whatever I'd receive.

So I think you're all saying this is okay, that I don't need ANY .NET's in my Add/Remove. Forgot to see if they're in the Start Menu, don't think they ever were. I'm using a 2000 or 2002 Compaq Presario that I bought new, XP Home, SP3.

So a new question, will my HP All-in-one printer (1310 SERIES, 1315xi) now recognize my color cartridge? It keeps saying incorrectly installed but I've been installing them correctly since Nov. of 2004. Have 2007 disk. Should I uninstall printer again and reinstall, now that the .NET thing is evidently fixed? Had recently 3 files with viruses and SIX Trojans, all detected by McAfee, and one potentially unwanted program. How could I find out what that program is? Because a church has just started using Email for newsletters and I can't seem to get my copy. Thanks again, a whole bunch! You guys and CNET are the very greatest, imo! I've been helped so many times.

Collapse -
2007 disk?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2012 2:04 AM PDT

I found printer drivers on CD to usually be woefully out of date. I check the maker's web site for such things.

.NET is only required for apps that use it. The OS does not need it.

Hope that helps,

Collapse -
Will Try to Get Back to This Tomorrow...
by lesliebuc / September 14, 2012 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: 2007 disk?

I do have some reinstalled .NETS, last time I looked, and it's good news that we don't need 5.3, or even 4, unless some program wants them, my Automatic Updates still keep saying they couldn't install 5.3, so may be installing the same things over and over for all I know.

I'm just following this discussion for now. See you tomorrow.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.