Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Update KB928366

by jackfrost64 / July 12, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

Am using Automatic dates and yesterday July's updates were all installed but one. KB928366 "Security update for Microsoft.net Framework, version 1.1 Service pack 1". This refused to install. Now every few minutes it informs me I have update to install which always fails. How can I get this to install or at least stop reminding me to install it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Update KB928366
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Update KB928366
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
jackfrost64
by tomron / July 12, 2007 2:24 AM PDT

Do you have Microsoft.net Framework, version 1.1 Service pack 1

Can be confirmed in add/remove

Tom

Collapse -
Microsoft.net Framework, version 1.1 Service pack 1
by jackfrost64 / July 12, 2007 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: jackfrost64

No, just version 1 and hotfix to version 1.

Richard

Collapse -
Richard
by tomron / July 12, 2007 2:34 AM PDT

This seems to be a know issue.

Check these links,HERE and HERE

You could try the V&S FORUM,if you post in the v&s forum be sure to link this thread.

Tom

Collapse -
KB928366
by jackfrost64 / July 12, 2007 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Richard

Tried the first link but no dice. The second one has me confused and am not sure what they are saying. I someone could explaion I would appreciate it.

Richard

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / July 12, 2007 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: KB928366

I don't know what happened to the link,I always test in preview first.

Try again,LINK

Tom

Collapse -
Update KB928366
by jackfrost64 / July 12, 2007 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

Tom, What I should have said was I tried everything that was suggested at the Link. All failed. If I Wiped the hard drive and did a clean install and then reinstall all updates would that solve the problem?

Richard

Collapse -
What I suggest.....
by tomron / July 12, 2007 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Update KB928366

Is to try the V&S FORUM since this is what they do,and link this thread there so they know what was tried already.

Tom

Collapse -
KB928366
by jackfrost64 / July 12, 2007 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: What I suggest.....

How do I link this thread? I feel so dumb

Richard

Collapse -
This way
by tomron / July 12, 2007 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: KB928366

Right click on your address bar,on top where it says //forums.cnet.com/5224-4_102-0.......right click copy.When in the other thread right click paste.

Tom

Collapse -
Success
by jackfrost64 / July 12, 2007 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: This way

I uninstalled Microsoft.net 1,2, and 3 with all their updates.Then I reinstalled all and KB928366 installed successfully

Richard

Collapse -
(NT) Glad its solved,thanx for posting back
by tomron / July 12, 2007 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Success
Collapse -
The KB928366 won't install problem is all over the web
by Prandy / July 13, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

Just do a google search. I am following the following advice posted at

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18653367

and doing NOTHING.

"Security Update for .net 1.1 SP1 (KB928366) Fails

Time to thank MS for another one. It would appear as though lots of people are having a problem with the KB928366 update that was shoved at them not installing and being stuck with the yellow shield that won't go away. If you read here:

Collapse -
these updates kb928366 and kb928365
by gzubin / July 21, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

why is everyone trying to do these updates these are for sp1 not sp2 we all have sp2 buy now and these updates are for sp1 if you want to stop the icon in your system tray click the icon tick the dont ask me again box and cancel it i dont understand why you are all trying to update it and going through all that trouble for nothing

Collapse -
.NET Framework updates
by tallin / July 21, 2007 1:47 PM PDT

If you are correct then why when running Windows XP/SP2 would Microsoft Updates show both for downloading and installing when scanning for the monthly updates?

Collapse -
sucurity update
by gzubin / July 21, 2007 4:43 PM PDT
In reply to: .NET Framework updates

do you think that thay have made a mistask every ones computer is not taking the updates it is not only disscused on this site it is on every site up for discustion and i think microsft has made a booboo

Collapse -
i really have no idea -
by tallin / July 21, 2007 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: sucurity update

To answer your question, I have no idea, but then Microsoft will only correct the problem in their own way. Perhaps next month they may have a fix through Updates - who knows, but in the meantime I am not going to uninstall and reinstall when my computer is running just fine. "When it ain't broke don't fix it" is my motto!

Collapse -
KB928366 issue
by dickrich / July 24, 2007 9:37 AM PDT

ummm ... If that's the case, then why does MS update say it's a critical update ... even with SP2 AND Framework 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 installed?

Collapse -
You are exactly right
by Prandy / July 24, 2007 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: KB928366 issue

How many million people are affected?
This situation demands an immediate fix.
I turned off all Microsoft Updates.
-------
Just don't need the yellow warning sign!
---------------
This is not as serious as all the NBA, NFL, Barry Bonds, and World Wrestling Pro scandals ...........
but nontheless; I cannot believe 40,000 Microsoft employees have not encountered the same problem.

Why no auto pilot easy fix?
Ask that question !

For the Micorsoft morons: it is as bad as the Phoenix Airport being left wide open for terror attacks.

Collapse -
I was able to install, don't bother
by g_penguin / July 13, 2007 11:17 PM PDT

I was able to install that very update. It promptly quit allowing my lapto[ to enter satndby mode when it is closed. I did a search and it is affect a lot of people. I could not uninstall the update so had to do a system restore. Just an FYI for you.

Collapse -
Fix to Dot net 1.1 KB928366 on Windows XP
by bmnaidum / July 18, 2007 12:16 PM PDT

1) Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

2) Run Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

3) Select Microsoft Dotnet framework 1.1 and remove.

4) Download and Install Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

5) Download and Install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en

6) Using windows update or download and install security update (hotfix-KB928366 ) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=281fb2cd-c715-4f05-a01f-0455d2d9ebfb&DisplayLang=en

Collapse -
Resolved solution-- Dotnet 1.1 KB928366 on Windows XP fails
by bmnaidum / July 18, 2007 1:22 PM PDT

Please follow the steps uninstall and re-install dotnet 1.1

1) Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301.

2) Run Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

3) Select Microsoft Dotnet framework 1.1 and remove.

4) Download and Install Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

5) Download and Install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en

6) Using windows update or download and install security update (hotfix-KB928366 ) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=281fb2cd-c715-4f05-a01f-0455d2d9ebfb&DisplayLang=en

Collapse -
Final answer from microsoft
by bmnaidum / July 24, 2007 12:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
We don't need complex answers to simple problems
by Prandy / July 24, 2007 1:04 PM PDT

Send out an instant fix. Otherwise forget it. See my prior posts.
My next computer will be a MAC. MSFT people must be the most incompetent people on earth.

Collapse -
Fix to Dot net 1.1 KB928366 by bmnaidum
by Alexander Wilson / August 6, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

Thanks - simple, straightforward procedure. And it worked for me. That'll get rid of the perpetual attempts to update when closing down.
Sandy

Collapse -
Windows XP updates fail to install
by fnlvn2 / July 27, 2007 5:16 PM PDT

This sounds like a problem that I have after I've performed a repair installation. It's taken me about 6 months of research through tech sites including Microsoft's to find a repair that always works. In summary all if my updates would download but, all failed to install.
The solution is to register the dll files associated with the Windows Update Program. To do this do the following
Go to the start button then then the run button and type the following:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll (enter) you will recieve a confirmation message
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Reboot and go to the windows update site and try to install your security update. I do understand that my problem was somewhat different than yours. However, one of the items that I was attempting to update was the same as yours. Therefore I'm quite confident that the solution is the same.

Collapse -
Thanks for the great post
by tallin / July 27, 2007 8:03 PM PDT

Yes thanks, will try your fix when I am on the computer with the .NET Framework problem. At the moment I am on my laptop and the PC with said problem is in another place.

you are meaning START>RUN>then type in those commands on at a time? RIGHT?

This problem is all over the net and so far there is silence from Microsoft.

Thanks again

kind regards,

Collapse -
Yes, run each dll
by fnlvn2 / July 28, 2007 12:39 AM PDT

I apologize for not making it clear. Simply run regsvr32 for each listed dll.

Collapse -
Windows Update KB928366
by dickrich / July 28, 2007 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, run each dll

I tried the "start ... run ... resvr32 ... xxx workaround, but still cannot get the bleeping download to install. I keep getting ( various / different ) "runtime error" messages ... all say "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information".

Collapse -
No joy for me either
by tallin / July 28, 2007 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, run each dll

I have tried your suggestion:

"The solution is to register the dll files associated with the Windows Update Program."

The two updates for .NET Framework would still not install on this PC, but on my newer Laptop they installed way back when released early in July - namely KB928365 and KB928366.

My PC is running just fine, so unless you have any other ideas, short of uninstalling and reinstalling as suggested by <bmnaidum post 22> earlier in this thread I think it is best to leave well alone.

Thanks again for trying to help.

kind regards,

Collapse -
KB928366
by dickrich / July 28, 2007 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: No joy for me either

Just a thought ... with NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 installed, why would I / we really need an "update" for version 1.1? Didn't ver 2 and then 3 make 1.1 obsolete / no longer needed? I also see that a ver 3.5 ( beta ) is in the works.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.