Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Windows System Error - There is an IP address conflict...

by maxxdout / February 9, 2010 5:01 AM PST

This problem has been pestering me for the past 2 weeks. The first time, I had my step dad restart the wireless router and it worked again until now, but now that isn't even working.

Every 5 seconds or so, I get a message popup saying:
"Windows - System Error
There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network."

I have spent more than 3 hours trying to figure out how to fix this but nothing has helped. I have tried repairing the wireless network, (cmd) ipconfig /release and /renew, I have uninstalled/reinstalled my WiFi dongle, and nothing has worked.

When I try ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, a message comes up saying:
"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has it's media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection 2 while it has it's media disconnected."

My internet connection temporarily goes away after /release, but after /config, I connect back onto the internet and the Windows System Error message pops up again.

Can somebody please help me out here?

Thank you!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows System Error - There is an IP address conflict...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows System Error - There is an IP address conflict...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now look into the ...
by Kees Bakker / February 9, 2010 5:06 AM PST

management console of the router and see what it says about the IP's of all systems connected. Do you see a duplicate, as the message implies?

Kees

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by maxxdout / February 9, 2010 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Now look into the ...

Can you describe to me what you mean? I am good with computers, it's just networking I am not too good at Wink

Collapse -
Re: router
by Kees Bakker / February 9, 2010 4:07 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

Find out how to open the admin console of your router (the same console where you set your WPA-key) and see what it tells you about connected devices.
Very old routers and modems might have a serial connection for that; nowadays all have a browser interface via their IP-address. Should be in the manual. If not, run ipconfig. That tells the IP of the gateway. That's it. Type it in the address bar of your browser and you're ready to go.

Kees

Collapse -
Check also
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2010 9:32 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

any device that might have a static IP assigned. Remember that many laptops have both wired and wireless devices. Network printers may also have static address. The error mainly occurs when a device with a static address connects to a network and the router has already allocated that address. It could also be a moocher causing this. If you know you have a mix of static and dynamic addressing needs, you fix this within the router in the DHCP settings by establishing an address range it will hand out. Perhaps you start with 100 and go to 255 or some such. Anything below 100 is available for static addressing and won't conflict with DHCP.

Collapse -
IP ADDRESS CONFLICT
by djspider245 / March 2, 2010 8:12 PM PST

THIS CAME UP FIRST TIME THIS MORNING. YESTERDAY I WAS TRYING TO MAKE THE ICON FOR LOCAL AREA CONNECTION GO AWAY. I DID CHANGE SOMETHING WITH IT. THIS IS WHAT I DID YESTERDAY ... START..CONNECT TO-SHOW ALL..R CLIC LOCAL AREA CON..PROPERTIES..CONFIGURE..POWER MAMAGMENT TAB.. THEN I CLEARED THE BOX "ALLOW THIS DEVICE TO..." I JUST PUT THE CHECK BACK IN THE BOX MABY THIS WLL SOLVE THE ISSUE.
GOOD LUCK

Collapse -
IP ADDRESS CONFLICT
by ChrisHote / March 15, 2010 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: IP ADDRESS CONFLICT

thx djspider245. It worked!!

Collapse -
IP ADD CONFLICT
by djspider245 / March 19, 2010 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: IP ADDRESS CONFLICT

YOU ARE MOST WELCOME, IT WORKED FOR ME TOO.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.