Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Windows starts with a temporary profile

by palleman5 / December 10, 2012 1:36 AM PST

Hi!
I have a problem with my Windows 7. Every time when I log on, I'll get a Temporary profile.
I open RegEdit and check: C:\HKEY_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and there is a .bak file on my true User profile.
So I rename the temp_userfile to .fault and delete the .bak on my true User profile. I also change the value in the State Word to 0 (there's always a number here: 36840). After that a press F5(Update) and restart my computer, and everything works like a charm!
Then, on the very next day when I start the computer I have to do it all one more time!
Why is the State-word always overwritten?!
Regards,
/Paul B

palleman5 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows starts with a temporary profile
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows starts with a temporary profile
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by palleman5

Collapse -
Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 1:47 AM PST

If you research CORRUPT PROFILES you find that Microsoft never did issue a repair tool for this issue. The articles tell us to create a new account and copy our stuff over.
Bob

Collapse -
I did that too, but...
by palleman5 / December 10, 2012 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Good question.

I didn't got all the settings I had in my previous User profile when I copied the profile-data. Besides I'm one of those guys who can't accept no as an answer :). There's got to be a reason for this.
But I don't know. Maybe I have to deal with my new account, or never switch off the computer!
/Paul

Collapse -
It's been a Windows issue for a very long time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: I did that too, but...
Collapse -
The computer have been scanned
by palleman5 / December 10, 2012 2:51 AM PST

I followed the instructions in the link, given by Grif. There were no suspicious files or programs on my computer.
I aware that this have been a problem with windows, but what really annoys me is; why is my State-word overwritten in the ProfileList? There's got to be an answer for this.
Maybe I have to find it the hard way by turning off program by program in my start-up file.
I really appreciate your interest in this issue. Thanks a lot.

/Paul

Collapse -
About why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 3:05 AM PST

You may have to install PROCESS EXPLORER and become a windows guru and forensics expert. There is no glaring reason I can see in your posts. But malware, registry cleaners top my list. Next in line is iffy hardware and another small item.

Just last week an owner was losing settings and more. Turns out they were switching off the desktop from the power bar.

Ouch.
Bob

Collapse -
Iffy hardware...
by palleman5 / December 10, 2012 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: About why.

Ok. Now when you mention it: I have some external sound-cards and MIDI-moduls for my studio, and one of the MIDI-interfaces couldn't connect to the computer last week. I had to download a few things and do some tweeks to make it work. This interface is activated on start-up. Now I have something to work with...

/Paul

Collapse -
Problem solved?
by palleman5 / December 10, 2012 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Iffy hardware...

I unplugged my MIDI-interface and a external sound-card: No improvements
I logged in, in safe-mode and dowloaded Autorun to see which program was used in the startup-sequence. There I found some missing links which I deleted.
Found something called BATINDICATOR. Sounded creepy, so I unmarked this one.
Then I deleted the value in the State-word, updated and turned off the computer.
Restarted and logged on: My old Userprofile were loaded! I turned the computer off one more time, waited for about 10 minutes, restarted, logged on: Everything works!
Then a looked at my mouse, and saw the little LED-diode blinked with a very weak ray. So I changed the batteries. Still ok.
So. Could my problems emerged thanks to the BATINDICATOR? If that's the case, then I strongly suggest HP to remove this "service" right away!

/Paul

Collapse -
I missed the make and model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Problem solved?

Could be that HP app. Usually optional.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.