Phones forum

General discussion

Windows smartphone STOPS SENDING EMAIL!!!

by Yalie2010 / October 25, 2009 3:47 PM PDT

So I may be fired now because I sent an email with my BJII (windows 6.1) last week, but now I realize that the phone hasn't sent any emails from my company account for a WEEK (oddly enough, my regular email account, the other one on my phone has been sending them no problem)

Since one email was sending and the other wasn't, I'm inclined to think that something happened with the company server...right?

I got an error message: the message cannot be sent. be certain that you have network coverage and that your account information is correct and try again.

Please help. I only happened to look in my other files when I realized there were 13 EMAILS in my outbox.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows smartphone STOPS SENDING EMAIL!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows smartphone STOPS SENDING EMAIL!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a WM problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2009 11:57 PM PDT

This issue could happen on any PC, Apple or other machine. Get with those that help you get email working to see why it failed.

Collapse -
Windows Mobile Send Mail issue...
by Mark.Nielsen / November 13, 2009 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: Not a WM problem.

Just came across this as I've had the same issue recently with my Blackjack sending from my hotmail account set up as a POP mail account on my phone. It seems to be very sporadic, and I get this exact error for seemingly no reason. Usually a reboot of the phone gets my mail to go the next time. Although last week I rebooted several times one day in an effort to send a message. I finally scrapped the outgoing mail, killed the account on the phone and set it up again and it started working again. Since then one reboot of the phone seems to get the mail to go. It's not every message, but it does happen still sometimes. And it appears to have just started happening in the last 45 days or so.

And with all due respect...this is a windows mobile issue. My PC at home has never told me I "may not have network coverage". This message is specific to the WM platform...and is a recurring issue for some if you had done some research rather than firing off an essentially useless response.

Thanks...Mark

Collapse -
Hotmail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2009 10:01 PM PST

You just said the magic word. Hotmail is going to be no more and you see PC users posting about this.

I can't see this as a WM issue.

Sorry, but I'm just a PalmOS, now Windows Mobile programmer and this issue is not a WM issue. That is, unless we slam WM for not making it easier to set up email or for not informing us of the hotmail changes.

Back to you but if you want to solve this you need to think about the hotmail going away issue and if over the cell companies service if they killed it.

Maintaining it's a WM issue will only waste everyone's time.

Bob

Collapse -
WM Send Mail issues...
by Mark.Nielsen / November 14, 2009 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: Hotmail.

"Back to you but if you want to solve this you need to think about the hotmail going away issue and if over the cell companies service if they killed it."

What the heck does that mean? Do you even read your posts before you fire them off? It's not even a sentence. I have no issues with WM and setting up e-mail, and I'm not certainly not slamming anything. I love WM for the most part aside from this little glitch that Microsoft has acknowledged as a hole that needs fixing. Reading your nonsensical response was a waste of time.

Back to issue, Microsoft has issued a patch for this send mail issue: (http://tinyurl.com/yk38lad) See the fourth post down on the link. It happens to users with gmail and many other providers. I don't know what your comments about hotmail have to do with anything.

Mark

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2009 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: WM Send Mail issues...

I'm solidly in the WM world now with some dozen phones on my desk and have solved this too many times. I can't explain why people want to take up solid positions on this issue.

Good luck to you if you want to argue. I'm just here to try to help others if they want help. Instead you want it to be a WM problem. If is was then you need to deal with MSFT.

Hope you find it.
Bob

Collapse -
My point...
by Mark.Nielsen / November 14, 2009 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Yup.

My point was your first post was of no help to anyone...if you are saying you are indeed here to help. You didn't bother to see that MS had issued a statement on this and has sent out a patch to try to correct. Kudos for them for getting to it. Not sure why you think I have an issue with the WM OS. I'm a big fan.

My issue is not with MW...it is with your shamefully lazy original response (go check with your IT department about this problem...it must be their issue). I expect more from a moderator...like doing your research before making a snap judgement and response.

Thanks...don't mean to argue.

Collapse -
Let me share again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2009 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: My point...

I'm seeing many failures with hotmail. How is that not helpful?

I'm also fixing this by checking settings and changing email from hotmail to others.

If you feel hotmail should work and maintain it is a WM issue you are right there is nothing for you to read from me. I don't agree with that position since MSFT has made it clear that hotmail is going away. It is time to use other email choices.

I'm sure some will call that of no help.

Again, I'm now porting my PalmOS apps over to WM and have too many WM devices to work with and am now getting hit with your issue. Since the cure rate is 100% and we rarely stick with hotmail maybe I don't have the answer you want?
Bob

Collapse -
Last time for me...
by Mark.Nielsen / November 15, 2009 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Let me share again.

OK...for the last time. The original question had NOTHING to do with Hotmail. I don't care about your migration from Palm to WM or my Hotmail account or any of that. What bothered me was your original response. Your response to the original poster was (paraphrased) "WM is fine, check with your provider/IT about your e-mail"...as if there was no way the send mail function on his phone's OS was the issue.

So I happen to have the same issue. I research (what I expect a moderator for CNET forums to do before responding) and find that Microsoft has a known issue with MW and has issued a patch to try to correct the problem! Great!! Everyone is happy. Now why couldn't you have taken the five minutes it took me to look that up rather than just say, "it's not the OS's problem...check with your provider/IT."?

I apologize to anyone else who has had to waste time reading this.

Mark

Collapse -
Then my reply is this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2009 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Last time for me...

Help them out. If you want to contribute then do that. I have an inside track with this since I'm not just some user of this but am authoring applications.

So here's my reply. Help them fix it and stop taking shots at others.
Bob

Collapse -
Thread you posted doesn't seem to fix the problem
by Pepe7 / November 18, 2009 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: Last time for me...

I went through that thread and it doesn't appear that the MS patch (or the button boy fix for that matter) helped entirely. Was there anything subsequent on XDA regarding this? A friend had a similar issue on his Fuze and I was unable to assist and didn't turn up anything @ XDA ;(.

-Pedro

Collapse -
I've dealt with this more than a few times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2009 9:00 PM PST

We move off hotmail and that does the trick. MSFT is promotion their Live email and you can read where they are going with Hotmail.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah
by Pepe7 / November 24, 2009 11:04 PM PST

Thanks goodness I was never particularly married to hotmail anyway Wink

Collapse -
Spell checker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 11:06 PM PST

Sorry for the typo. Change promotion to promoting.

And many are thinking the APPLICATION that is under discussion is the OS. The patch I saw was not for the OS. The difference is subtle but I can see where many will not want to dive this deep.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.