Laptops forum

General discussion

Windows setup cannot see hard drive

by ernier4154 / July 1, 2010 5:03 AM PDT

The Windows XP disk I have used for years tells me that it cannot find a hard drive in my HP 6910p laptop. I previously had XP on this laptop and installed Windows 7 beta to give it a try. It ran OK. I got tired of seeing messages to upgrade so I decided to return the laptop to XP. Since then I have not been able to install XP because I get an error that no hard drive is found.

I bought a new drive and get the same result. I am able to run the HD diagnostic in the BIOS and it says the drive is OK.

Any suggestions to fix this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows setup cannot see hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows setup cannot see hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The HP 6910p uses a sata hard drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2010 5:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bonus link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2010 5:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Got it!
by ernier4154 / July 1, 2010 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Bonus link.

You got it Bob. It was a SATA problem.

In the BIOS there is an entry that says "SATA native mode" and it defaults to "enabled." I changed it to "disabled" and the XP install is working fine now.

Thanks very much.

Collapse -
That's a new one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2010 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it!

I guess there are people just sitting around asking "What will we name this setting?"

Thanks for sharing this name.

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by Flare0969 / July 1, 2010 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a new one.

I have a HP Pavilion dv2500 and recently my hard disk failed, and I was forced to purchase a new one. I physically installed the new drive, and went to install Windows XP Pro. It previously had Windows Vista Home Premium, but seeing as it hogged all of my system memory, I decided to go with XP Pro from another computer that I previously used.

The setup does not see the new drive, and reading through this post, I looked through my entire BIOS setup and there is no setting for the hard drive configuration. I also ran the Hard Disk Self Test and it passed, so now im am at a loss.

Is there anything else that I can try? Or am I forced to send it to a technician to have them set it up for me...?

Collapse -
Again, what is the BIOS setting called?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2010 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Similar Problem

I can't answer this since they name it some dozens of names. Read above and the links given and you see they found the name.

But the dv2500 may need more help from HP. Read an EXAMPLE install plan from this next link ->

I can safely guess you might not have known how hard it was to install XP.

Any chance that you could step up to Windows 7?

Collapse -
Pavilion DV2500
by patchyspits / June 5, 2012 2:35 PM PDT

I have a similar problem, my HDD died so I replaced it with a new one. Bought Windows 7 Ultimate, as I have it on my desktop and felt it was as good as time as any to ditch Vista from my laptop, but setup just won't find the drive.
I've taken it out and reinstalled it a dozen times but still no luck. I've even tried another spare HDD in it just in case the new one was faulty.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Check one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2012 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Pavilion DV2500

Is the drive shown in the BIOS?

Collapse -
Not showing in BIOS
by patchyspits / June 5, 2012 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Check one thing.

I mistakenly thought that it was because it was it was shown in "boot devices" but, after running SeaToolsDos and then checking through "diagnostics" in BIOS it turns out that it isn't.
It states, in "BIOS - diagnostics" that there is "No IDE Drive" which is (kinda) correct as my HDD is SATA.
I can't find any way of changing the BIOS so that it looks for SATA instead of IDE.

Collapse -
SeatoolsDOS rarely sees SATA drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2012 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Not showing in BIOS

I'd try a Linux CD next.

I wonder if this machine has some RAID feature. Those can hide from Windows installs.

Collapse -
I'll give it a try
by patchyspits / June 6, 2012 7:25 AM PDT

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Though I'm pretty sure the previous HDD was SATA also, well, the new one slotted in as easily as the old one came out at least.

I've never used LInux before, any recommendations on which Linux CD I should download as a Google search throws back thousands of results?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2012 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll give it a try

Very complete with almost all drivers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.