Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

by bently / December 4, 2005 1:54 PM PST

Spybot just found this ...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!+dword:0 ... REGISTRY CHANGE

Am I right in thinking MS is blocking my AV (AVG)?

If so, what can I do about it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WINDOWS SECURITY CENTER ANTIVIRUS OVERRIDE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Ben
by roddy32 / December 4, 2005 7:56 PM PST

Spybot is telling you about a change that YOU made yourself. You can right click and have Spybot "exclude that detection from future scans." The second post on this Spybot forum link will explain it better than I can. It's the post by SpybotSandra.

Collapse -
turning OFF avg
by bently / December 4, 2005 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Ben

Hi Roddy,

Thanks for reply.

Spybot is telling you about a change that YOU made yourself. You can right click and have Spybot ''exclude that detection from future scans.'' The second post on this Spybot forum link will explain it better than I can

I have had this happen 4 times, and I promise you I am not turning off any virus protection, other than MS Firewall. I turn AVG back on and it stays on for few day s then Spybot will find it OFF again.

I want Spybot to alert me about this.

Re: Alert Settings... Firewall, Auto Update, Virus Protection all already checked.

I found several MS programs that allow remote connections on my computer. When I find that, I remove permission for remote connection of any kind.

I think MS IS turning off AVG.??? Am I wrong about MS?

Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Ben, NORMALLY, most
by roddy32 / December 4, 2005 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: turning OFF avg

people don't want the Windows Security Center to notify them of their antivirus is turned off. Instead they have it set where the antivirus program itself notifies you, In YOUR case AVG, in MY case it is Norton. I do NOT trust MS to notify me if Norton is disabled, I want Norton to do that instead so I have the notice on the Windows Security center shut OFF. Spybot picks that up so I "exclude that detection from future scans" or else Spybot will pick it up every time I scan with it. IF you let Spybot "fix" it, then it will revert back to the original settings which I do NOT want.
Spybot is NOT telling you that your AVG is off. It is telling you that the "notification" part of Windows Security Center" is off, PROBABLY because you set it that way like I did with Norton. Just right click and choose "exclude this detection from future scans". If for whatever reason AVG gets disabled, AVG will notify you itself instead of MS notifying you.

I don't know how to explain it any better which was why I gave you the link for Sandra's post. LOL

Collapse -
doing it
by bently / December 4, 2005 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: Ben, NORMALLY, most

Thanks Roddy,

I will do as you suggest.

Appreciate your input.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your welcome Ben.
by roddy32 / December 4, 2005 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: doing it
Collapse -
Window Security Center Anti Virus Override
by stevenho / January 8, 2006 3:29 AM PST

I just got done running Spybot Search&Destyoy.It keeps on coming up with "Windows Security Center Anti Virus Override.What is it and how do I get rir of it? Steven

Collapse -
by NWRCS / January 8, 2006 2:50 PM PST

If this is the red check in your Spybot scan, it is, assording to Mircosoft, a known issue with MS AntiSpyWare and SpyBot.

Mine eventually went away with updates.
I think it was the latest major software upgrade to MSASW.

MS Support told me NOT to select (check) this item in SpyBot scan.

Collapse -
I'd read them
by NWRCS / January 9, 2006 6:59 AM PST

And watched this thread.
One post talks a lot about McAfee, but the exact words used are the ones that pop up in my SpyBot scan (or used to), and if those are the words, that's what MS Support told me.
If it's in your normal SpyBot scan, and it's already in red and checked for you by SpyBot, don't leave it checked is all I said.
Because that's what MS told me.
And, latest MSASW software fixed it.

Collapse -
Security Center AntiVirus Override
by stevenho / January 8, 2006 3:34 AM PST

I don't use AVG for antivirus scanner.I use another product. Steven

Collapse -
Maybe you have a look ......
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 8, 2006 3:39 AM PST
Collapse -
More Info
by Bugbatter / January 8, 2006 3:53 AM PST

Some More Reading: http://net-integration.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=32445&st=15

If you want to exclude an item from future detections:

* Expand the detection if necessary (+ to the left of the detection).
* Select the item (entry) that you want to exclude by left clicking on it to highlight it.
* Then right click on highlighted detection.
* Select from the list of options in the menu.

In other words left click to select then right click to display options. If you don't select (highlight) the item first the options menu is for the entire detection list.

Collapse -
I got issues with this!
by TexasDad-55 / December 8, 2009 12:17 AM PST

The Windows Security over ride is abused by Mcafee!

Mcafee totally removed the antivirus check and also deleted the .cpl file from my pc so I am unable to do things by hand and the other IT tech in my company have not caught on as to why they just see the firewall setting instead.

I can agree to a limit that some things are better greyed out but totally removing a core function of security center to check for an active antivirus program by Mcafee is totally uncalled for.
Even registry hacks and doing a DIR search for the missing CPL are done in vain. This is not some policy group but is done by Mcafee.

I am so frustrated with Mcafee!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.