Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Windows,Scroll bars,Web pages Jumping up and down like Crazy

by ghinnant2005 / March 20, 2006 9:15 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion zd8000, Win XPPro SP2 and Im using WLAN to connect to a DSL router. I use a bluetooth Microsoft keyboard and Mouse..........Just recently, within the past two weeks, I have noticed that sometimes when the WLAN is connected, everything starts jumping around like crazy. The web pages scroll up and down wildly, folder windows and menues, combo boxes etc. scroll wildly up and down so that nothing can be done except shut the computer down using Ctl Alt Del.

Now what makes me think this is some kiond on interference and not some weird virus, is that when I cut off WLAN and Bluetooth, everything stops. A hard wired LAN connection to the same internet connection does not do this.

Any idea on what may be causing this interference?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows,Scroll bars,Web pages Jumping up and down like Crazy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows,Scroll bars,Web pages Jumping up and down like Crazy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) try to change the wireless channel...
by Gakada / March 22, 2006 12:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Crazy Windows Scroll Bar
by kpminott / March 22, 2006 6:46 PM PST

We had a similar event in our office. It was caused by a wireless mouse. Someone working on a separate computer one office away was using their wireless mouse and the affected computer, which was also using the same brand wireless mouse (Logitech), was being "driven" by the remote mouse, with the effect that the machine appeared "possessed." If you cut off all radio functions, you may have also cut off the mouse radio function as well, in which case the phenomena would have stopped. We solved the problem by resetting the alternative frequency on the remote mouse. Perhaps this might work for you.

Collapse -
it was the bluetooth mouse
by ghinnant2005 / March 22, 2006 10:19 PM PST

took the batteries out of the mouse and it stopped.....something wrong with the mouse itself because the batteries are pretty new....Thanks all

Collapse -
Mouse not necessarily defective
by SmartEd / March 23, 2006 11:27 AM PST

Bluetooth and WiFi operate on the same frequency band. Normally this isn't a problem because Bluetooth employs an interference avoidance scheme of very fast frequency hopping so as to avoid channels with traffic on them, or even just side channel interference.
If, however your WiFi radios employ Atheros SuperG, a non-standards based technology, you may find the very narrow channels at the top and bottom of the unlicensed frequency range that Super G leaves unused may be insufficient for Bluetooth to negotiate a connection free of RF noise. I'd try turning off the "Turbo" mode in the router to see if that helps. Better yet, if you have a wired LAN connection, use that. It's faster and more secure.

Collapse -
by Kellllllbell / November 14, 2012 11:46 AM PST

I saw your post when I came to this site and took out my batteries and Vola~ I was going nuts thinking I had a virus.....hahahaha Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Crazy Windows activity -- not wireless mouse
by HollyLC / December 4, 2012 11:40 PM PST

Came to this during a search for a solution to a current problem:
I was hoping to find a solution to my issue of my screen scrolling erratically when I'm typing. Maybe my problem is a different one than is being discussed here. In any event, switching to a corded mouse does not solve the problem I'm having.
My search continues.... ;~)

Collapse -
Similar Jumping Graphics
by tbuehrer / March 23, 2006 12:08 AM PST

My problem seems similar and I've searched the Web over with no luck on finding a solution. For the past 3 months or so, my graphics display will wig out after the computer has been running for about 24 hours. Actually this is computer #2 that is doing the same thing. I think it might have been associated with a Windows security fix. Running Windows XP Pro on a P4 with onboard graphics (the other computer had an old ATI Radeon AIW graphics card, W-Lan home network. Appreciate any insights.

Collapse -
Ya know....?!
by reec / March 25, 2006 1:19 AM PST

Well, you'll never guess what happens when I wear my bluetooth cell phone...! Go microwave a cup of coffee, in less time than it takes to press redial, your call is over.!! I have several brands of ear phones and they all do it. If anyone has an atta boy! I'd love to hear it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.