Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

'windows root system32 hal.dll is missing or corrupt

by ali-is-online / October 26, 2011 6:54 AM PDT

Dear fellows,

My father inlaws old Dell laptop is causing problem. I know it got that google virus and now I can't boot xp home ed, not even in safe boot. When I restart the computer, I get a msg saying 'windows root system32 hal.dll is missing or corrupt, please insert disk to install the file' something in that context. I can't even boot in safe mood to install this file or do anything.

So far I have done the following...
I booted the laptop with the xp cd and went in the recovery console
I ran attrib -h-r-s c:\boo.ini it gave me a message file cannot be opened
Still I ran Del c:\boot.ini it gave me a message saying an error occurred during directory enumeration
I ran bootcfg /rebuild the msg I got was failed to successfully scan disk. May be a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning.
I ran chkdsk...it runs and at 32% it gives an error....The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

I dont want to format the HDD as he has some files which are imp and dont wana loose them.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Ali

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'windows root system32 hal.dll is missing or corrupt
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'windows root system32 hal.dll is missing or corrupt
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tried Running A Repair Install With the Windows XP CD ?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 7:41 AM PDT

No guarantees here, but a "repair" installation of the operating system should replace any missing system files without damaging the personal documents.. Dell should have provided a Windows XP reinstall CD.. Follow the instructions below:

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

You could also use the XP Recovery Console from the XP CD to simply replace the hal.dll file.

Of course, because the computer is old, it's entirely possible the hard drive is failing and the repair install may only be temporary.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Recovery Console doesnt work
by ali-is-online / October 27, 2011 4:58 AM PDT

Dear Grif,
Thank you for your reply.
As I explained in my post, I have tried the xp cd and also the recovery console, it doesnt work.(I have given the result in the post as well).
Any other sug please.
Thank you.
Regards,
Ali

Collapse -
Well, That's Not What You Said...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 27, 2011 6:59 AM PDT

You said the commands that you tried using the Recovery Console didn't work as you would like. I see nothing about attempting a "repair" install per my instructions. The appropriate fix for the problem is to use the Recovery Console to attempt to extract the hal.dll file from the XP CD, then copy it to the appropriate location on the hard drive. Once it's there, register it.. You tried something else.

If that can't be done, and it's entirely possible given the information in your first post, then my first suggestion was about running a repair install of XP using the same CD..

If neither of these suggestions works, then either the XP CD is faulty or not the correct OS version you have installed on the computer....OR....the hard drive is bad and you need to replace it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I will try that
by ali-is-online / October 28, 2011 3:02 AM PDT

Thank you again Grif
I thought running recovery from xp cd was same as what you were saying 'running repair install' I am sorry.
I will try that once I am home and let you know.
Thank you.
Ali

Collapse -
Existing partitions and unpartitioned space
by ali-is-online / October 30, 2011 1:59 AM PDT

Dear Grif,
I followed the instruction on the windowsxp link u send me, in part one, after pressing F8 to agree the T&C, I came across the following:
* The following list shows the existing partions and unpartitioned space on this computer.
* To Set up windows xp on the selected item, press enter
* To creat a partition in the unpartitioned space, press c
* To delete the selected partitioned press d

38155 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
-: Partion1 [FAT] 55 MB < 47 MB Free>
C: Partition2 [Unknown] 38092 MB <38091 MB Free>
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

When I select partion 1 I get this msg
The partition or the unpartitioned space you selected is to small for xp to set up

When I select unpartitioned space the get the same above msg
When I select Partitoned 2 I get the following msg
The partiton is either too full, damaged, not formatted or formated with an incompatible file system. To continue installing windows setup must formar this partition.

I am not able to go to part 2 of the xp repair guide.

What should I do next?

Thank you for your help.

Ali

Collapse -
You Should Be Installing On The Already Partitioned C Drive.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2011 1:49 AM PDT

Partition 2 is the location where Windows seems to be installed. Unfortunately, "The partiton is either too full, damaged, not formatted or formated with
an incompatible file system. To continue installing windows setup must
formar this partition." indicates the partition has become corrupted.. Your only option for reinstalling Windows on the current hard drive is to format the partition and reinstall Windows from scratch.. Yep, it will wipe all data from the drive when you do so..

If the data is extremely valuable, you might try purchasing a new hard drive, remove the old one temporarily, install Windows on the new HD, then place the old drive in an external USB enclosure.. IF, and that's an important "IF". IF the data isn't corrupted, you should be able recover the data from the external drive, then format it and use it as an extra storage drive.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Partiton 2
by ali-is-online / November 2, 2011 7:34 PM PDT

Thank you Grif
The reason it is showing partition 2 is unknown is because it is corrupt?
So how I can format the whole hard drive and install new xp all over again?
Thank you and have a nice day
Ali

Collapse -
Yep, Looks Like It's Corrupt
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 3, 2011 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Partiton 2

Before reinstalling everything, it might be a good idea to access the "Device manager" and write down all the devices listed, plus their driver manufacturers and driver versions.. It might come in handy later when you need to install the correct drivers. Likewise, be sure to make backups of all the important pictures, documents, and other such stuff.. The formatting will wipe everything from the drive and you'll need to use the backup to place them on the computer after the installation is finished.

Now....Reinstalling XP can be done following the instructions below: You start with the XP disc from Dell, place it in the CD/DVD drive, then restart the computer.. As long as the computer is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive first, you'll see a "Press any key to boot from CD" request.. (If it doesn't boot from CD, you'll need to change the BIOS settings so it does.) Press any key and the computer will boot from the CD and the installation process will start.

See the basic instructions in the link below for wiping the current partition, creating a new one, formatting the new partition, then installing the OS to an existing hard drive:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Once the operating system is installed, you'll then need to use the Dell Driver/Resource CD to install all of the drivers which are associated with the hardware on the computer.. (If there is no Driver/Resource CD, visit the Dell website and download the appropriate drivers for the computer..

Once that's done, if there is a Dell program installer CD for your computer, install the programs of your choice and you'll be ready to go.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No access to anything
by ali-is-online / November 5, 2011 5:40 PM PDT

Dear Grif,
The whole problem is that Iam not able to get in the computer after starting it up Happy Its starting booting up and then I get that message 'windows root system32 hal.dll is missing or corrupt' and nothing happens and I have tried different things you suggested Happy

Is there is a way to access devide manager and backing up or my files from the hard drive before formatting?
Thank you.
Regards,
Ali

Collapse -
Nope, Can't Access Device Manager Till OS Is Reinstalled
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 7, 2011 12:21 AM PST
In reply to: No access to anything

In your case, you'll need to use your previous backups..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I will try that
by ali-is-online / November 10, 2011 6:08 AM PST

Thanks Grif
I will try few more tricks and c where I can get
thank u for ur help
Regards
Ali

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.