Computer Help forum

Question

Windows Remote Assistance

by ElMastaJos / February 24, 2012 11:37 AM PST

I have an OEM Windows 7 - 64-bit on a computer I bought from an online firm called 'I buy Power' and am not able to give remote assistance . People can remote assist me but I can not remote assist them . I have read and heard many solutions but none of them have worked for me . The solutions range from fire-wall setteings to policie changes , video settings and more than I care to mention here . I have a Window XP system networked to my Win-7 system in my home and can remote assist the Win-7 system from it . A brother in another state is on a telephone based high-speed internet service and Windows 7 64-bit . He can remote assist me but I can't remote assist him , but I can remote assist him with the Win-XP system . I have run out of venues of informative advice and my last hope of ever fixing this problem is for you or any of your intuitive readers to reach deep into your magical rear ends and offer something to help me out ,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Remote Assistance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Remote Assistance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I read OEM W 64 BIT but which one?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 12:48 AM PST

Besides, if I do a google on remote assistance you find articles about this topic. I thought eventually you would figure out that RA is well, not such a great solution.

I'd reveal exactly which OEM version you have.

Collapse -
Windows Remote Assistance . . . the saga continues
by ElMastaJos / February 27, 2012 4:31 AM PST

I am running Windwos 7 Home Premium .
Not such a great solution to what ?
All I want is to be able to use it because it took me a long time (a very long time and I lost some hair along the way) to get the people I help to learn how to use it . So to get them to install a whole new program (believe me , they barely know the difference between a left click and a right click) and then have them learn it , is , .... well , not something I want to go through again .

Collapse -
Aha!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 4:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Windows Remote Assistance . . . hmmmm
by ElMastaJos / February 27, 2012 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Aha!

Since I have a Windows XP and my Windows 7 (with the problem) in my home connected to a wireless router I have been able to experiment a little . What I have found is that the remote assistance session does start on my Windows 7 PC . The problem is that the remote assistance window (the one where I'm supposed to see and controll the other PC with) does not appear . So , I'm guessing that I'm missing the '.exe' file that opens the window ?
How I cam to this conclusion is I requested a remote assistance from the Win XP to the Win 7 . I accepted the invitation on the Win 7 PC and then tried to do a request from the Win 7 to the Win XP and I got a message window stating that I already had a Remote Assistance session opened .
Am I on the right path ?

Collapse -
Not in my opinion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 5:57 AM PST

RA is just a big mess of this will work, but that won't. It appears my message was lost and at this point I'm going to let you talk with Microsoft.

I see the issue, but failed to convey it to you.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
First, make sure ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 24, 2012 1:42 PM PST
Collapse -
Windows Remote Assistance . . . continued
by ElMastaJos / February 25, 2012 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: First, make sure ...

Ok , let me clarify a few more things . I have my system set to accept remote assistance . I have my Firewall settings set to allow remote assistance . I have my privacy settings set to prompt for cookies and to accept all session cookies . I have public networks set to off and home or private network turned on . I have public folder sharing , file and printer sharing and network discovery ; all turned off . I have "Bigfoot networks killer ethernet controller" properties set to dissable in the advance tab under "Property" ; Set the physical NIC to promiscuous mode . Thees settings , except for the privacy settings , are the default settings .
My question still remains , ... if I can be remotely assisted by other computers , why can't I remote assist other computers ???
If there are any more settings you'd care to know about , ........ let me know .

Collapse -
If you checked your settings ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 25, 2012 2:22 PM PST

against the links offered did you take a moment to check the settings on the other computers?

You will note that each computer can select to be CONTROLLED remotely or not to be controlled remotely (that would be step 1 paragraph 7E in the first link offered).
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/116330-remote-assistance-enable-disable.html

Remember, we are NOT THERE at the computers to check for ourselves, we have to assume that you are taking the advice offered and not skipping steps or jumping ahead of us. We also assume that from your initial remarks you have set up remote assistance before so it is likely some minor but important setting that we don't want to miss.

Collapse -
by ElMastaJos / February 25, 2012 11:30 PM PST

Hmm . I have tried useing Windows Remote Assistance with the setting of Allow this computer to be remotely controlled both checked and unchecked . In all cases (these settings or any other setting that has sofar been suggested on the links you have provided) this is what happens ; 1- computer that is the requester starts Windows Live Messenger and clicks on the actions menue 'request remote assistance' menue item , then ckicks on the contact that is associated with my Windows 7 system ; 2- on the Windows 7 computer that is already running Windows Live messenger a message balloon pops up that says 'X is sending you and invitation . 3- I click on the balloon and a Windows Live messenger conversation window pops up and in it is the following chat messege " X is inviting you to start Remote Assistance. Do you want to Accept (alt+c) or Decline (alt+d) the invitation?" 4- I click on 'accept' and the following messege appears under the previous message that states "You have accepted the invitation to start Remote Assistance." 5- nothing further happens , nada , zilch , niets , niente , not even a "Would you like an icecream sundae while you wait for something to happen which of course never will !" message .

Collapse -
Windows Remote Assistance . . . continued-addemdum
by ElMastaJos / February 25, 2012 11:38 PM PST

I have tried doing the send an invitation method aslo . After I get the email and starting the Assistant I get a window to type in the password and then I click ok and a remote assistance window pops up with a message informing me that my computer is attempting to contac the requesting computer . After waiting a few seconds (15 ot 20 I guess) I get a timed out message .

Collapse -
AHA! I read this then looked again at ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 26, 2012 1:23 PM PST

your previous response and I DO NOT SEE where the initiating computer has ever started the session after your acceptance. You are timing out because no one is starting the session at the other computer

Here is another link that might clarify the steps including the one critical step you seem to be missing (this link is for XP so the dialog boxes will be a bit different but the sequence is the same) -
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457004.aspx#EGAA

If still unable to connect you might save time by trying TeamViewer or as an interesting note Avast 7 (both free and aid versions) now has remote assistance built in. I am pretty sure though that if you have someone sitting at the initiating computer to start the session all will be well.

Collapse -
by ElMastaJos / February 26, 2012 9:47 PM PST

Step five applies to both computers , except that on the Windows XP computer a new message appears in the Windows Live messenger chat window below the "You have invited Z to start remote assistance . Please wait for a responce or cancel (Alt+Q) the pending invitation." message , saying "Z has accepted your invitation to start Remote Assistance." and on my brother's (in another state) computer we have also tried the send invitation by mail method and Windows Live messenger because he has Windows 7 , nothing happens on his screen either .
May I remind you that when done in reverse , everything works fine and either computer is able to remote assist my Windows 7 computer and take control of the desktop .
Also , I know there is freeware that can cercumvent and maybe work on my Windows 7 system but the fact still remains that my Windows 7 system should be able to Remote Assist other computers (using Windows Remote Assistance) and just does not . So call me stubborn but I'm determined to make it do it whether it wants to or not .
I hope you have the patience of an angle and not lose interest or concern of me . This is becoming a long thread and I truly would like to have my mysterious problem resolved .
Thanx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.