Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Picture viewer

by AS / March 22, 2005 12:37 AM PST

Can anyone tell me where I can find windows picture viewer

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Picture viewer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Picture viewer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows Picture viewer
by Cetin Denislam / March 22, 2005 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: Windows Picture viewer

Your one line question is vague. If your Picture and Fax Viewer was disabled, try the Enable Picture and Fax Viewer command in that section.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
: Windows Picture and fax viewer
by AS / March 22, 2005 8:27 PM PST

Hi what I am asking when I view a photo and click through I see other photos I want remove
but I think I would need to find the the folder to do this. How do remove pictures fro the viewer?

Collapse -
Viewer?
by GhostAlph / March 22, 2005 9:53 PM PST

I'd need to know what program you're using to view the photos. I'm assuming your viewing the photos in Windows Explorer; if that's the case, then you are already in the folder where the picture resides. If there's an picture you want to delete, you should be able to right-click on the picture and select "Delete".

Collapse -
AS, you need to understand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2005 5:04 AM PST

that Picture Viewers do not contain the pictures, so you cannot delete the picture from the viewer.

It's like a Word Processor. You might use a word processor to write a document, but the Word Processor doesn't "contain" the document. The document is saved, by you, to a location of your choice on your hard disk. all that the Word Processor program does is open that document when you want it opened.

The same with the Picture Viewer. There are, in fact, many programs that can view pictures. None of the programs store the pictures.

If you have pictures on your computer, then they were saved by you or whoever else uses the computer. You need to find out "where" on the hard disk they were saved to.

It is likely that your pictures are saved in your "My Pictures" folder, which is inside your "My Documents" folder.

On your desktop, double click the My Documents icon, then when the My Documents "Explorer" window opens, double click on the folder which says "My Pictures". Once inside that folder, you should see all the pictures you have saved, and if you double click any, you will see what they are. any you want to delete, you can just highlight, then goto File > Delete and delete them.

If the pictures you are talking about have not been saved to the My Pictures folder, then they must be stored elsewhere, and we can't help you with that. You must find them yourself.

If you know the name of the picture file, you can goto Start > Find, (or Search), and click "for Files and Documents". In the new window click "All files and folders" and then type in the name of the file and click "Search". That should find it for you, and you can view it and/or delete it from there.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
We are getting closer!!
by AS / March 23, 2005 7:24 PM PST

So Mark, when I use a word processor I can open files I want to see, how do I direct the viewer to open what I want to view.

My problem is it is opening graphics and click the next button I get an irrrelevant graphic(they look like) from websites and it always does the same ones so, it seems to me that it must be configured to do that. This is why I was looking for the viewer folder
as I could check this out futher.

Ironically the grapics are not in the My pictures folder which as you say I must try to find.

Thanks!!
A

Collapse -
AS I'm really not sure I understand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 23, 2005 9:47 PM PST

Do you know what "Picture Viewer" you are using?

Usually there is a name in the title bar, (the blue bar along the top), or if not, in the Help menu, (Help > About).

You see what confuses me is where you say, "it is opening graphics and click the Next button". What is opening graphics? What program? A lot of graphics programs will have next buttons, but many will only show one picture at a time, and to open another one, you would have to goto File > Open, and then navigate to where the next picture, (image), is.

Tell me, what process do you go through to see pictures? How do you get to the first picture to see it? Do you have an icon on your desktop which when you double click allows you to open images? If so, what is the name of the icon? If not, do you goto Start > All Programs, then select a program? If so, which program?

One thing you should also understand. When you visit web sites, eg this site here on CNET, the site downloads many images as well as the messages, links, etc. All the images you see on this page are images downloaded to your computer. They are stored for later use as "Temporary Internet Files", (TIF), and then if ever you come back to this site, your internet browser looks through the TIF to see if images are there first, before downloading again from the web site.

So, on your computer there will be a folder for Temporary Internet Files, and on Windows XP they are stored on your hard disk at C:/Documents and Settings/%UserName%/Local Settings/Tempoary Internet Files, (where %UserName% is your user name for your computer.

Try this. Right click the Start Menu button, and select "Explore". What opens is a program called Windows Explorer, and this is a most valuable program for exploring what folders and files you have on your computer hard disk. If you use it to explore, you may be amazed at how many files your computer hard disk has on it.

The program window is split into 2 panes. The left pan is used to navigate to different folders, and the right pane is used to see what files are in each folder.

On the left, Your name can be seen as a folder, with sub-folders underneath it, (it is like a family tree). The Start Menu should be highlighted. Look above that for "Local Settings", and click the + sign to the left of it.

Below Local Settings you will see more folders, one of which is "Temporary Internet Files". Highlight that, and you will see on the right a whole list of files. This represents your recent visits to web sites. Use the scroll down bar on the far right to scroll down and see what sort of files you have.

Look at the column headers above, and find "Type". In this column you will see the types of files, eg Text Document, or GIF Image or JPEG Image. Find a JPEG Image file and double click it. This will be an image from a web site you have visited recently.

but, look carefully at the program that opened when you double clicked that file. What program is it? Is it the same program that you have called "Picture Viewer"?

Have a read of what I have said, do some exploring, and come back with more information if you need to.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
Windows P&Fax picking up web site images.
by GlynnD / July 15, 2007 3:40 AM PDT

Win XP . Is there a way to stop Win P&F from picking up images from web sites? My problem is, when I open an image in Win P&F, and choose to print it, I have to make sure only the picture I want to print is checked, as there may be 30-40 of these web site "snippits". They are are not checked, by default, but I don't like them being there. AS you know, they also leave a "picture trail" of where you have been on the Internet......

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.