Phones forum

General discussion

Windows Phone, Android, and iOS live chat with CNET editors, Jessica Dolcourt and Nicole Lee

by CNET Event admin / October 17, 2011 5:20 AM PDT
***This event has ended ***

See below for transcript of this event and click here to see all upcoming and previous events

As the smartphone market continues to evolve, the operating system is more important than ever. Apple got attention last month with iOS 5, but Android followed closely behind with Ice Cream Sandwich. How will they compete going forward? And will Nokia finally give Windows Phone 7 the boost that it needs?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Phone, Android, and iOS live chat with CNET editors, Jessica Dolcourt and Nicole Lee
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Phone, Android, and iOS live chat with CNET editors, Jessica Dolcourt and Nicole Lee
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
blackberrry vs android

have a curve blackberry which android should i get

Collapse -
Android phones with keyboards
by Nicole Lee / November 8, 2011 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: blackberrry vs android

There are several Android phones with keyboards. Most of them are in the slider form factor, like the Samsung Stratosphere. Here's the link to the latest great smartphones with keyboards:

If you want one with a vertical keyboard, you could also look at the Motorola Droid Pro or the Motorola XPRT. The phones don't have the highest-end specs, but are decent for corporate-friendly environments.

Collapse -
Text only
by J-Do CNET staff / November 8, 2011 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: is this with sound

This is a text chat, no video : )

Collapse -

Welcome to this week's edition of Ask the Editors! We're
dedicating this hour, fingers poised over the keyboard, to answer your
burning questions about mobile operating systems. We may not be able to answer
all your questions, but we're going to do our best. We won't be able to dive
into very technical questions, so please continue to use the Forums for those.

Collapse -
About time to upgrade... to?

I have the unlimited plan w/ sprint and eligible to upgrade 1/1/12. The choice between an android or an iphone is up in the air. I don't own any apple products, am 'spooked' by the hype, but don't know much about android. Which serves a mother of two toddlers, student, and future high school teacher best? (in other words, lots of scheduling, emailing, must be able to handle abuse.)

Collapse -
Tough choices
by J-Do CNET staff / November 8, 2011 1:39 AM PST

Right. There are really two major concerns in play. The first is what kind of operating system/ecosystem do you already use most. If it's Apple (I'm guessing it's not), then the iPhone is the most logical choice. If you're a Windows user on your PC, or already use a lot of Google services, like Google Calendar, to keep track of your appointments, then an Android phone might suit you best.

There's also the question of which OS you connect with most. It sounds to me like you're already leaning toward Android. Both have a ton of apps to help you keep track of your schedule, and Android has the added advantage of turn-by-turn voice navigation, which sounds like something you might want for driving the family--unless you already have in-dash or after-market nav.

My favorite Sprint phones right now:
iPhone 4S
HTC Evo 4G, 3D, or Design 4G (smaller, more budget, great value)
Epic 4G Touch (A Galaxy S II phone with a huge 4.5-inch screen)

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
battery life

With battery life being one of the biggest issues, does any one of the operating systems seem to handle that better than the others? If so which and why.

Collapse -
OS is not really a key factor
by Nicole Lee / November 8, 2011 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: battery life

A phone's battery life is not really dependent on the operating system, but on the hardware and the capacity of the battery. It does seem as if Android phones do seem to have more of battery drain than the iPhone, but that's because there are so many different manufacturers and different hardware specs for Android. To be fair, the recently launched iPhone 4S has purportedly shorter battery life than several Android phones as well. There are some Android phones with better battery life than others:

Collapse -
OS performance

What is it about the Android OS that makes it such a battery killer, I noticed recently that Kindle added the android os to it's latest model and the battery life saw a significant change. why can't similar technology for the iphone be leveraged

Collapse -
Kindle Fire is a tablet, not just an e-reader
by Nicole Lee / November 8, 2011 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: OS performance

The Kindle Fire not only has Android OS on it, but a different screen -- a 7-inch touch screen LCD -- that will certainly draw more battery than just the low-power e-Ink display on the rest of the Kindle readers. That, and not the OS, is likely the culprit when it comes to battery life.

Collapse -
Voice Recognition

Which of the three smartphone OSes have the best voice recognition software?

Collapse -
Voice action
by J-Do CNET staff / November 8, 2011 1:42 AM PST
In reply to: Voice Recognition

In truth, they all have issues with accurately interpreting your voice. Apple's Siri is the most fun and arguably the most advanced, though it's using a company called Nuance on the back end, and Nuance voice actions powers even feature phones. The difference is how you input your questions and requests. Siri is a much more flexible at this stage than Google's voice actions. Other operating systems, like Windows Phone, and BlackBerry, also do voice input in different ways, and there are also apps like Vlingo that do the same--it's available for multiple OSes.

Collapse -

Will these patent claims by microsoft mean that there will be less android phones in the future?

Collapse -
Not likely
by J-Do CNET staff / November 8, 2011 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: Patents

Patent wars are technology's soap operas. If a company makes far more money selling phones than paying off competitors in patents, they'll sort it out. Companies are also known to cross-sue in order to come to a settlement, almost like canceling suits out. Android is far too lucrative at this point for manufacturers to abandon, and many Android-makers also make Windows Phone.

Collapse -
ios5 and flash

Hi! Will I be able to stream (for example) on my iphone even though flash is not a part of the OS?

Collapse -
A big fat Flash no
by J-Do CNET staff / November 8, 2011 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: ios5 and flash

The iPhone doesn't support Flash natively, but there are apps like Skyfire, that can often circumvent the no-flash zone to play video. I haven't tested it for CNN's live streaming. More and more sites are using alternative Web standards, so you may be able to stream some videos (that use HTML5, for instance), while you won't be able to stream others. It all depends on what the company is using on its end.

Collapse -
iPhone 4G

When (big guess) do you think the iPhone will be 4G capable? Do you think that the 4S without 4G was a marketing decision to allow the new CEO, who Jobs described as not a tech guy, to announce the next big iPhone tech improvement (the iPhone 5)?

Collapse -
iPhone 5
by J-Do CNET staff / November 8, 2011 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: iPhone 4G

iPhone 4S was so names to mirror the iPhone 3G S; I don't think it was a marketing decision to let Tim Cook have the iPhone 5 glory. Rather, the software improvements in iOS5 were ready before the iPhone 5 hardware; so this is an intermediate step. I think the 4G/4S nomenclature *does* unfortunately confuse things, and people expecting 4G speeds will be disappointed. The next major iPhone release should be 4G-ready; this is definitely the direction that carriers are going, and AT&T is just rolling out its 4G LTE network. Apple is likely waiting for the carriers to come up to speed in order to offer a more or less uniform 4G LTE experience across its carriers.

Collapse -
iOS5 vs. Ice Cream Sandwich

I have a iphone 3 and debating between the new iphone running iOS 5 or the new samsung that will run on ice cream sandwich. Can you tell me what kind of differences there are between the two?

Collapse -
OS comparison
by Nicole Lee / November 8, 2011 1:50 AM PST

Luckily for you, we wrote up a long article detailing the differences between the two operating systems Happy

Collapse -
Dell & Windows Phone

Is Dell going to produce another Windows Phone?

Collapse -
by Nicole Lee / November 8, 2011 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Dell & Windows Phone

We don't really know, but hopefully the next one will be better than the Venue Pro!

Collapse -
Windows Apps

Do you think Windows will have the kind of app choice that iOS or Android does? Perhaps not as many but have not heard much about what MS is doing to bring in developers or how they will play the app market.

Collapse -
Yes and no
by J-Do CNET staff / November 8, 2011 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Apps

Windows Phone is really ramping up with apps. In a few months, it's gone from 18K to 30K, and is growing. While they need to keep wooing developers to create interesting apps, there's also the danger of choking in too much sludge, an argument one could levy against iOS (500+K apps) and even Android (250K).

Collapse -
HTC Vivid vs. Samsung Skyrocket

Which one would you choose?

Collapse -
by Nicole Lee / November 8, 2011 1:54 AM PST

We've just started our reviews of these phones, and my preference is certainly the Skyrocket. It has a much better design -- the screen is sharper and much more saturated. If you liked the Galaxy S II, you'll love the Skyrocket. The HTC Vivid is a solid phone as well, but it doesn't quite have the polish that I normally associate with HTC phones.

Collapse -

Will Windows Phone ever get Adobe Flash?

Collapse -
Good question
by J-Do CNET staff / November 8, 2011 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: David

I'm really not sure. Right now it doesn't even support its own Silverlight environment!

Collapse -
droid razr

will the motoroa droid razr have a similar feature to that of the RIM's blackberry enterprise?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.