Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows not genuine

by crazedvole / January 3, 2013 7:21 AM PST

I had to reinstall my Win 7 x64 pro OS after a hard drive death. Now when ever I start windows up I have to have the install disk in the drive. If I don't have it in the drive I get a black screen and a "This copy of windows is not genuine ....build 7601" message. I have activated it by going to the control panel/system and it says it is active. I also can't join the homegroup I use to be part of but that might be something else altogether.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows not genuine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows not genuine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Say, isn't that the educational version?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: Windows not genuine
Collapse -
Where would it say that??
by crazedvole / January 3, 2013 3:10 PM PST

I bought this OEM version when I built this system. It did not say anything about being an educational version. (I did not know there was a windows 7 x64 professional educational version.)

Collapse -
OEM does that too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 1:26 AM PST

The OEM license was very onerous in that it didn't allow transfer to other PCs. There also an activation limit so after so many installs you get to call it in.

-> And here's the killer part of the OEM version license. It's not for personal use. If you call in to get another activation code I'd avoid telling them you bought it because if you do, the license at the time forbids that.
Bob

Collapse -
See if changing the product key ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 4, 2013 10:37 AM PST

using the one on the CoA helps.

Open the Control Panel > Open the System app
at the bottom of the page is a link to Change Product Key. use that and follow the instructions. You may need to activate by phone.

Collapse -
Windows 7 (Home Premium)
by Legal-Key_Holder / January 7, 2013 12:29 AM PST

Hello Fellow Dude,

I am here on this fine day of January 7, 2013 with a fine offer for you. I have a functioning key that I believe is completely unregistered. I had it on my desktop . However It would work the same even if it did have my name on it so i guess false warning NO WORRIES there just wanted you to know you might even have the option of registering it in your name in case you wanted to do the upgrade to professional if that is your plan and I'm not sure if this is even true but without my divine presents. We can speak about the price it depends on a couple things demographics if your a millionaire I am going to charge you more that sort of thing... I have said too much go to www.facebook.com create an account if you have been living under a rock for quite some time now type the most eloquent of names this world has ever known or will know: Edward Moore Lawrence or Edward Lawrence I'm in Texas from there I will disperse my more personal information.

Collapse -
Answer
Your Win 7 OS Disk
by NotGeeky / January 4, 2013 9:12 PM PST

Your comp should have it stored already in the system. Just last week I had to reinstall mine to. But the Hard disk I didn't have or need. It's already stored on the hard drive. Now I have an HP bought directly from HP not online or anywhere else. Whether that makes a difference I don't know. But even if your using the hard disk to reinstall that should be just like brand new. Now you might lose other programs, because that hard disk you have is just for windows. So all the programs that come on that hard disk might be a little different from say, games and other incidentals and even may get lost.....
Once you download the disk you should never need it again to start up, until and if you ever crash the system.
As your system is starting up and while it's still on the black screen, press & hold the "Esc" key, It should put you on the Startup screen. You go to Start Up. If that window opens up, go to reinstall windows or start up, I forgot what it said. Follow the prompts, and it'll take about an hour, depending how much space it has to clean off of the hard drive from your previous saved issues. Now there's about four or five other things on there, don't go to them because you'll be sitting wasting time on tests you don't need to do. everything will be reset to brand new. You'll have to change everything back to the way you had it. But once thats done, your system is wiped clean and brand new again...Everything runs smooth as silk....Let me know how that works. It took me hours an hours before I got help from a Tech. Everyone kept telling me you need the disk and I didn't. But thats because HP puts a permanet copy on the hard drive.

Collapse -
Answer
window 7
by paradisezzz / January 10, 2013 1:34 AM PST

hi...,
my greet to everyone in this forum. well if window 7 genuine is lacking then this problem might persist. formatt it first & then install microsoft security essential anti-virus.
thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.