Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows No Disk exception processing message

by Jbar01 / August 11, 2007 1:54 PM PDT

I uninstalled Norton 2006 and get Windows - No Disk Exception Processing Error C0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c 4 75b6bf9c 75b6bf9c message when re-booting computer. I used windows add or remove programs to remove all Norton applications. I also downloaded and ran the latest Norton Removal Tool. I reinstalled Norton 2006 and the error goes away. Any ideas on how do I get rid of Norton without getting this error? I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows No Disk exception processing message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows No Disk exception processing message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows No Disk exception processing message
by mrroot / August 30, 2007 10:13 AM PDT

I am also having this problem. I can't reinstall Norton 2006 as I am now using Norton 360. Were you able to find a fix for this error, and if so, could you share it with me?

Collapse -
Re: no disk error.
by Kees Bakker / August 30, 2007 11:43 PM PDT

This has something to do with a program accessing a device that gives problems. Either don't run the program, or get an updated version or do something with the device, depending on the exact cause.

A good discussion is http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=243141&start=0
One of the posts even is about this happening after removing Norton. That might apply.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22no+disk%22+c0000013 might be helpful also. It might take some time to find the exact cause in your case.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Still having problem
by Jbar01 / September 16, 2007 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: no disk error.

I have searched the forums and Googled for any information on this error and have not found a solution that works for me. Latest is I have completely removed Norton antivirus 2006 with the norton removal tool. I deleted all files with symantec & norton. I reviewed startup to make sure Norton was not in the startup list. Norton had expired and I did not want to continue without protection. As soon as I removed Norton the no disk error returned. I installed Kaspersky and ran a system scan. Still getting problem. Now I am considering carrying the computer into the shop and have them rebuild the unit and start over.

Collapse -
a couple of questions.
by dikt8 / September 16, 2007 7:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Still having problem

Apparently you can get past the exception message:
Do you have your local disk/hard drive as C drive?
Do you have a card reader?

Collapse -
a couple of questions
by Jbar01 / September 17, 2007 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: a couple of questions.

My local hard disk is G:
I have Floppy Card Reader combination
Floppy A:
Card Reader C: & D:
DVD-RAM E:
DVD-CD/RW F:

Collapse -
Hopefully the no disk problem is fixed.
by Jbar01 / September 17, 2007 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: a couple of questions.

I put a memory card in the card reaader's drive D: and rebooted the computer with the card still plugged in. The computer rebooted and stopped on a black screen. After a few min. of black screen I manually stopped the computer by holding in the start button until the computer shut down. On restart I selected to start to Last Known Good Configuration. Now I am not getting the Windows no disk exception error. I have restarted several times and it seems to be okay now. Don't know why but I hope it continues to work.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Good luck
by dikt8 / September 18, 2007 1:05 AM PDT

My uneducated opinion:

Your (and my) primary problem stemmed from NOT having C DRIVE as Local Disk/Hard Drive. This probably occasioned by installing Windows with Card Reader already physically plugged in (suggest should install OS first, then plug in reader, new hardware will be recognised etc....). With card reader already installed your Local Disk nomenclature, instead of being 'C' can become F,G,H or whatever.

Then, when you later install additional programs/ applications, some of them are constructed to interrogate "c" drive as an initial reference point - can't find what they are looking for, then 'spit the dummy'(('soother' for the other side of the world.)

Beyond these two factors, there would seem to be something either directly related, or perhaps yet an additional factor, regarding 'Quicktime' - I don't know which because I made several changes simultaneously and have not gone 'backwards' to check - too happy to be out of it!! Whateverway, I uninstalled 'Quicktime' and installed 'Quicktime Alternative' after finding this suggestion in another forum. (DO YOU RUN QUICKTIME CURRENTLY???) (Also, I do not know how CNET views 'Quicktime Alternative' - it might be viewed as some form of piracy???) Regardless, while I have NOT reinstalled Windows/repartioned etc (scared), I have been virtually free of the no-disk exception message for a couple of months - until yesterday, when a one-time only, single-click-disposable no-disk message appeared as my soon-to-expire AV VET anti-virus ('first-among-equals' in start-up procedures) was jumping in to warn me that they would like me to send money: my thought being that although Vet knows how my computer is configured, the accounts department's warning is not quite so sophisticated and was looking for desktop - C drive.) (Suspect that Nortons UNINSTALL goes looking and misses the re-direct bit)( I would be happy to have any advice in these matters from anyone with either supportive or contradictory opinion).

Superficial to the above, but still related, if endeavouring to download/install an application and the dreaded 'no disk' appears and you DO have a configuration of card-reader/hard drive such we have discussed here, as a correspondent in the earlier referenced forum suggested - try using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' button to 'remove' (they will come back on next re-boot) the drives assoc with the card reader - in the circumstances we have been looking at these are probably C, D, E, F, and as many other drives as may be listed until you get to your CD/DVD drive (mine- 'G', which likely will then be followed by the Local Drive/Hard Drive (mine 'H') Once these card drives are 'removed', the application seems to be able to find a home/reference on the hard drive.

Again, all this is for whatever value, but full of speculation (follow me and you will find yourself 'lost')

Cheers

Collapse -
Same problem, but only with Card Reader
by andreas_andrews / February 16, 2008 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Good luck

I have this same error message, but I only ever get when plugging in a card reader (have tested it with two completely different readers, and also two of the same model - so 3 altogether) I used to be able to click the dialog away after 5-10 clicks, but now it just keeps reappearing, even when I have a card in the reader!

I'm running XP sp2 on a Packard Bell laptop which came with Norton pre-installed. I recently re-installed the OS using the 'ghost' that came with it, but I selected the OS only option without Norton, and found no traces of it anywhere, so I don't think that is the culprit.

It's easy for me to find out if a solution seems to work or not, but so far none of the solutions I have read about have applied to me (and I've tried a few!)

Collapse -
This is how you fix the no disk error in norton.
by wileysee / February 17, 2008 11:16 AM PST

When you open norton ghost and it begins to connect you get the error. Keep clicking the cancel tab until it disappears. Then go to TASKS--->MANAGE BACKUP DESTINATION. When the backup destinations appear you will see one that has either been deleted(the program will tell you so) or one where there is no longer a disk letter(you may have backed up to this letter previously and it no longer exhists due to a hardware change). DELETE THIS RECOVERY POINT. You can also go into TASKS--->OPTIONS-->GENERAL and make sure your default backup location is a real drive location.

This has worked completely for me using norton ghost 12. I believe that it will also work (if the options are similar) in other versions of ghost.

Collapse -
Norton Ghost Exception Processing - Windows No disk
by samazar / January 31, 2012 5:02 AM PST

I have Norton Ghost 9.
Upon starting it processes all disks present in the system.
If it finds a disk drive with a problem (or inaccessible) it gives this message.
I closed Ghost (with the task manager) then looked into drive names in Windows Explorer.
It was showing a disk drive that usually belongs to a slot in a card reader and which was giving an error when I click on it.
I just clicked on the "Safely Add Remove hardware" button and I removed that drive.
This solved the problem.

Collapse -
No Disk Exception Processing Error
by billzhills / August 31, 2007 11:43 PM PDT

Look in msconfig/startup for any reference to Norton and uncheck.

Bill

Collapse -
No Disk Exception Error - Norton Ghost Message c0000013
by WindsurferLA / May 5, 2012 9:58 AM PDT

This past week, for unknown reason, I too began encountering the same error when I sought to open Norton Ghost. Communication from Norton indicated the error will be generated when "an external USB device is connected that contains an empty memory card slot." "When Norton Ghost starts, it queries all mass storage devices seen by the Windows operating system," and if the memory device has no memory, you get an error.

My SONY VAIO has three memory card slots connected via a USB port that masquerade as disk drives. They all are labeled "UMH-H HS-MS USB." The fix was to command each of the devices to be removed / unmounted / uninstalled and then to restart the computer. On restart, the computer recognized them for what they are, and there were no more error messages.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.