Phones

General discussion

Windows Mobile OS on laptop?

by SanjayAdsure / May 7, 2009 6:36 PM PDT

Hi All,
I am new to Windows Mobile. I want to work on Windows Mobile applications. I am working on ASP.NET & want to develop the application in the same. And currently very confused about some issues...
What to read as starting material?
Where should I start for application?
How it is created?
How it is being coded?
And one major question in my mind is:
Can we install Windows Mobile OS on our Laptop or desktop?
As far as I know it's a similar hard disk inside mobile (like hard disk of laptop or desktop) on which we install Windows Mobile OS. So can we install the same OS on laptop or desktop?
I would really appreciate if anyone please help me in this. Waiting for your answer.

Thanks,
Sanjay.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Mobile OS on laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Mobile OS on laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quick answers...
by John.Wilkinson / May 8, 2009 1:44 AM PDT

1.) Pick up a good textbook on developing WindowsMobile applications.
2.) Start with a basic Hello World application and work outward from there.
3.) It is created in the same way a Windows application is written in C#.
4.) Typically, VisualStudio is used to develop the software. The WindowsMobile SDK, a free download from Microsoft, is also required.
5.) No, it is impossible to install WindowsMobile on your laptop. Use the SDK instead.
6.) Extremely few WindowsMobile devices have a hard drive. Most use limited quantities of RAM and ROM instead.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Quick Reply
by SanjayAdsure / May 11, 2009 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Quick answers...

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply & answers. It's really helpful points for me to enter in Windows Mobile arena.
I have downloded SDK. Also created one small windows application on emulator.
Now I wanted to create a web application in VS Studio 2008 with .NET Framework 3.5. I come to know that VS 2008 is not having Mobile Web Forms by default. So I am switching to VS2005 & .NET Framework 2.0.
Sorry to bother you but I will ask here queries if I will have during this development.

Thanks,
Sanjay.

Collapse -
About ActiveSync on Windows Server 2008
by SanjayAdsure / May 12, 2009 7:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Quick Reply

Hi All,
I am now switched to Windows Server 2008. And I want to build one mobile application here. SO I have downloded Windows Mobile SDK
1. Windows Mobile 6 Professional Images (USA).msi
2. Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK Refresh.msi

And now I want to install ActiveSync but I come to know that ActiveSync is for Windows Xp & earlier OS & if you are using Windows Vista then you have to download Windows Mobile Device Center from below mentioned URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/help/synchronize/device-center-download.mspx

In the end it was mentioned that
You can use Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 with the following versions of Windows only
And with some other OS Windows Server 2008 was there.
So I have downloded the exe file named: drvupdate-x86.exe
And when I executed it on Windows Server 2008; it's showing me error as
"The update could not be installed because at least one Windows Component required by Windows Mobile Device Center is missing"

Could anybody please tell me how I can create one simple mobile web application on my PC & see it running on emulators?

Thanks,
Sanjay

Collapse -
This is what I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2009 3:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Install Desktop Experience on Server 2008
by martinspalding / November 15, 2009 10:53 PM PST

Start/Admin Tools/Server manager/Features/Add New Feature/Desktop Experience

Collapse -
Being there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2009 9:58 AM PDT

I'm here and have delivered a few WinMo applications.

I used Visual Studio 2008, C# and MS supplied a fair emulator so you don't need what you asked for.

Figure about 1,000 bucks to get in the WinMo developers game.
Bob

Collapse -
I need help
by mightyvalery / April 2, 2010 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Being there.

Hello.
i wish to ask if it is possible for me to use windows mobile OS on my Centrino mobile toshiba laptops with the characteristic 1.6GHZ and Ram 512MHZ. I am currently using windows xp as an operating system so what should i do next.
I wish to use windows Mobile operating System in order to enable me run UCweb browser on my laptop. I beleive if i can do this i will be able to hack my secure conection from my EG162 moderm Using orange cameroon network. If any one know any other way(s) i can Use to have internet free of charge using EG162 moderm.....i will be very please indeed.

Collapse -
The answer is no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2010 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: I need help

Hope this helps you save time from trying a dead end.

Collapse -
How do i archeive free internet form my Secure EG162 Modern
by mightyvalery / April 2, 2010 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: The answer is no.

Hello,
i just found out that when i dial up my connection it show connected and shows me that i have 256kbs of connection but when i try to browse it show recharge your account from the network company which is orange cameroon.How can i by this automatic server and be able to browse free of charge. I will apprecite any ansewer leading to sucess thanks.

Collapse -
Off topic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2010 11:11 PM PDT

The topic is not about the EG162 modem. You may want to post a new discussion and see what happens.

Collapse -
pay for it

just buy minutes man, its alot time saving that what u are after

Collapse -
Thread locked...
by John.Wilkinson / December 31, 2010 7:18 AM PST

Hacking an ISP's network to obtain free internet access is illegal. In accordance with forum policies regarding illegal activities and unauthorized access, this thread is locked.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.