Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Windows Media Player XP Pro and ps3

by dragonmaelstrom / May 19, 2013 2:27 AM PDT

I had a network using a windows 7 laptop connected wireless to BT homehub V2 a windows xp pro (tower 1) wired and a PS3 which was also wired. The PS3 could stream both from the tower and the laptop, then i moved house and added another computer with windows xp home installed (tower 2)now the ps3 only sees the new tower and my laptop. i can access the hard drives from both tower units from my laptop but WMP in windows 7 sees tower 2 library in other libraries.
WMP on tower 1 has media sharing turned on and it sees my laptop and the PS3 and they both have default sharing ie everything but neither see tower 1
what could be blocking it i dont think its the firewall because i turned them off on all machines to see if that was the problem but still no sign what im i missing?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player XP Pro and ps3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player XP Pro and ps3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
When Win7 And WinXP Are Involved, We Set Up the Network....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 19, 2013 3:25 AM PDT

....in a specific manner.. Doing otherwise seems to cause sharing to go haywire....

First, IF any XP computers are on the network, install LLTD on the XP computer to help Vista/Win7 map the XP computer better.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

1. Plug router into the modem, then connect all computers to the router.. Make sure they all have an internet connection. Then adjust any router settings such as a wireless security password by using the wired computers only.

2. Next, and this is important... Create the EXACT same username on all computers, with the same password, and give that user administrative privileges. (Don't use the default "adminstrator" login.. Create a new admin user on all machines.)

3. On all computers, login using the new username, then change the "Workgroup" to be exactly the same.. (RIGHT click on "Computer", choose "Properties", select "Advance system settings" in the upper left, then click on the "Computer Name" tab. When that opens, click on the "Change" button next to "To rename this computer or join a domain". On the next window, place a dot/tick in the "Workgroup" selection and give the the workgroup a name..) Make sure all computers have the same workgroup name.

4. Make sure all computers have "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled. Open the Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center" icon, select "Change Adapter Settings" in upper left, then RIGHT click on the "Local Area Connection" icon, choose "Properties". When that window loads, make sure the box next to "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" has a CHECK mark in it.

Also make sure "Network Discovery" is enabled on all your Vista/Win7 computers by opening the same Control Panel/Network & Sharing Center" icon, then select "Change advanced sharing settings". Once there, make sure your "Home or Work" network settings have "Turn ON network discovery" enabled.

5. This next section depends on the version of Windows you're using.. Home versions of Windows 7 are slightly different than Pro versions, but it should give you a starting point. If you're wanting to share folders between computers, On computer 1, share out the files, folders and printers by opening Windows Explorer, RIGHT click on the C: drive, choose "Sharing and Security" or (Share With)-"Advanced Sharing", then click on the "Advanced Sharing" button. At the next window, place a CHECK mark in the "Share this folder on the network", then follow the prompts to share the drive. Click on Apply, then OK.. Perform the same thing on computer 2, etc... You should now be able to see and share folders between computers.

Please note, sharing the entire C: drive per the instructions above is not safe.. IF you're going to share files between computers, it's best, after following the above instructions, to then share out a single folder, such as the "My Documents" folder.. Once the "My Documents" folder is correctly shared, you can then return to the C: drive and "unshare" it.. After doing so, the "My Documents" folder will remain shared but the entire C: drive will be invisible.

6. In order to share a printer with others on the network, on the computer where the printer is installed, you'll need to click on Start-Device and Printers', then RIGHT click on the installed printer and "Share" it.

If connecting to a shared XP printer from a Vista/Win7 machine, instead of installing a new "network" printer from the Vista/Win7 computer, install the printer as if it was a "local" computer using the instructions below. (Yes, I know it's "network" printer but please try the instructions below.):

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name of the XP machine....ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
its win xp pro media player thats the problem

The only thing i am aware off thats different from when my laptop and ps3 could see tower 1 is that i moved house and added another computer im using the same router
My laptop can access all the folders and hard drives ive set up on my network. (ive even got folders in win 7 library even thou the system says i cant because they are not indexed (see my other posting for that))
My network isnt the problem from win 7 view point or from my win xp pro/home editions my problem is the win xp pro windows media player not been seen by any of the other computers and ps3 (its set up to share music vids pictures) in the media sharing window it see my laptop and ps3 just not the other way around.

Something is blocking media player (xp pro) from sending to my ps3 and laptop and the second tower (xp home) my laptop sees the xp home's media player

Collapse -
Something to check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2013 8:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
firewall checked
by dragonmaelstrom / May 19, 2013 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Something to check.

The firewall isnt blocking the media player
this is most confusing nothing has changed using same router same isp same cables just an extra computer its almost as if the new computers media player has taken over.
i just need to get the ps3 to see the win xp pro's media player
Might uninstalling then reinstalling WMP do anything you think?

Collapse -
I've heard that before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2013 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: firewall checked

Sorry but I've lost so much time on firewalls that, well, anyone that tells me the firewall is not blocking may be a little too sure. My test is simple. Turn it off.
Bob

Collapse -
oh i believe you
by dragonmaelstrom / May 19, 2013 4:07 PM PDT

yes i did turn it off turned off all firewalls on all of the computers including the router even virus checkers

Collapse -
So You Performed The Steps I Suggested?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 19, 2013 9:57 AM PDT

When you change locations, and use a different modem, router, etc., or even plug in the same modem/router, everything changes from the networked computer's point of view. It may be a new IP address, a new ISP, or something else less major but it's a different network. It's the reason why you usually needed to set up everything from scratch.. Even the simple things, such as the wireless password for access to the network. Frequently, you'll need to access the router, delete the old password, create a new one, (it can be exactly the same), the eliminate the password on all computers and re-establish the connection.

So go to all the machines and set them up again.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
how is it different
by dragonmaelstrom / May 19, 2013 5:22 PM PDT

now thats confused me
nothing has changed other than a different external ip all internal ip address are the same. when i moved for the first 6 months i had no internet but everything that stayed the same all i did was plug everything back in and it worked nothig needed changing all i did was add a new computer the system adjusted for the new computer.
To make sure nothing changed i fixed all internal ip so they wouldnt change The 2 tower units and the PS3 are connect to the router wired the laptop is wireless nothing has changed from moving the computers to a different location. whne i moved house i just pluged everything back in and everything worked my networked folders came back on line with no errors. Im also lazy i use a program to turn the tower units on from my laptop thou the LAN.
But ive done as you told me too Happy
right now as im typing this i have 1 win7 laptop (wireless), 2 tower units xp pro and home (wired ) and 1 PS3 (wired) and the ps3 can stream from the win 7 and the xp home and this is with all firwalls turned off on the router and the computers themselves

Collapse -
A story.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: how is it different

Similar and other issues, the owner thought it was all the same but they move, the ISP installed a new modem/router box and it never worked on that box. As a test (they were paying for support!) we sent out a known good router. We could not fix the ISP's gear which some clients don't understand why but it is what it is.

I've read this thread a few times but it looks like a setup issue or the ISP's gear but given the details it's a bit of a mystery.
Bob

Collapse -
its a puzzler
by dragonmaelstrom / May 20, 2013 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: A story.

yea most of the time i can fix my own problems well 8 out of 10, but this has me almost banging my head against the wall if my home edition xp media player works and my laptop and ps3 see it what is it that's stopping my pro edition.
Ive just noticed something else (why i didn't is because i don't need the 2 towers talking to each other only my laptop and ps3 need to see them.)that neither tower see each other but that's still minor cause my ps3 sees one of the towers

Collapse -
Both Wired XP Towers Should "See" Each Other.....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: its a puzzler

...and because they don't, it's a good clue as to the basic cause of the problem.. Just some thoughts here..... Does the XP Pro tower connect to the internet correctly? There could be an issue with the ethernet card in the Pro tower. Try swapping in a different ethernet cable to see if it helps.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
internet
by dragonmaelstrom / May 20, 2013 10:49 AM PDT

all the computers connect to the internet without any problems the cables are new as i have a small supply of them (thanks to where i used to work) my xp pro is always online cause it runs folding at home 24/7 both the win7 and the xp home can connect to the pro using remote desktop connection if need be as i have only 1 monitor/tv
i wonder if i just connect 2 computers together not using the router maybe that will test it

Collapse -
Sounds like client isolation to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: internet

It's another name for a firewall.

I dropped a hint that details were slim so this time I'll call it outright. Tell exactly which make/model ISP MODEM ROUTER is used and hopefully I'm back with a page from the manual about it.
Bob

Collapse -
im bad 1am does that to me
by dragonmaelstrom / May 20, 2013 5:46 PM PDT

BT Home Hub 2.0B (2.0 Type B), manufactured by Gigaset Communications
its only stopping windows media player everything else is avaiable on the network drives/folders

Collapse -
Found too many models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 22, 2013 1:24 PM PDT

If you can supply a link to the manual, I'll read it.

Collapse -
Found something else
by dragonmaelstrom / May 20, 2013 6:10 PM PDT

when i click on the icon in the notification area to show that its connected there is a lock shown on the received side of the activity area
i use windows firewall on the xp pro

Collapse -
Maybe You Haven't Allow Sharing Exceptions In The Firewall?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 21, 2013 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Found something else

Open the Control Panel, then double click on the "Windows Firewall" icon.. Once there, click on the "Exceptions" tab and make sure "File and Printer Sharing" is CHECKED. Even if it is CHECKED, make sure to highlight "File and Printer Sharing", then select "Edit" to verifiy that ports 137,138 and 139 are CHECKED also. There are also other ports required for media player to work effectively. It's supposed to open automatically, but may it's not happening at your location.. See the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/sharing-media-on-a-network-using-windows-media-player

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Port and starboard

I checked the firewall most ports were open file and printer sharing was ok but i went to the website to double check and there was a couple of ports not opened so i opened them the cold started the computers one at a time. Laptop, Tower 2 (XP Home), Tower 2 (Xp Pro the problem computer) then my ps3.
still nothing ps3 still only see tower 2 and laptop

Collapse -
Sorry, I'm Stumped Too ...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 21, 2013 1:53 PM PDT

Maybe others will come up with something.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.