Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player updated, no sound for wmv and mpg

by unckybob / May 25, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

Before update, was able to play wmv and mpg file with sound. Now with update, can play mp3 files with sound, but not wmv or mpg. Can some kind person help me? Bob C.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player updated, no sound for wmv and mpg
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player updated, no sound for wmv and mpg
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hint. Now update the CODECs you added last time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 5:57 AM PDT

WMP 11 invalidated or broke many CODECs. Repeat what you did last time to get the former WMP to play these files.

In the meantime use VLCPLAYER until you sort it out.

In closing, your post does not contain enough detail for a do this fix but only a hint or guide to the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, VLC Player works. but still having problems
by unckybob / May 25, 2007 8:18 AM PDT

Thanks. All I did last time was to right click the icon and open it with WMP. While it was updating I was running some other software that restarted the computer. Also, I have other programs, one called MediaCoder that play mpegs and wmvs that don't have any sounds either. Now what is really crazy is when I play anything in Windows Movie Maker, it plays really fast like a 33 1/3rd record played at 44 rpms. Is there any more information that I can supply you with. Thanks for getting to me so fast. Bob.

Collapse -
Now that sound is a known bug. To fix...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

All you need to do is read and heed the forum note. I decline asking for the details since it's asked each time you post.

As to it working before the story is unclear. Most of the time the person who installed the OS will install the needed CODECs, RealPlayer, Divx etc. but to grind it down to what is needed now one has to dig into the media file with a tool like GSPOT.

Hope you can see that forum note.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for setting me straight on the format for these
by unckybob / May 26, 2007 12:43 AM PDT

threads. I've looked around for the forum note you mentioned. It's probably right in front of me, but I can't find it. Can you clue me in where it is? Thanks again. Bob.

Collapse -
It's these red words.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 1:26 AM PDT
Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

If you're not seeing this when you post, please tell us your setup since it looks like many people can't see it.

Bob
Collapse -
Similar problems...
by ama183 / May 26, 2007 4:00 PM PDT
In reply to: It's these red words.

I run windows XP off my acer aspire 1640 laptop, and I've had problems with the DVD player almost as soon as I got it. When I took it in, they told me it sounded like a software problem and not a hardware problem. So my Dad and I reformatted the computer and it started working again. We made a boot disk, but I was really disappointed when it started happening again: movies play super fast and skip and jump and sound like the characters are talking under water. The reborn problems seem to coincide with an automatic update to WMP 11. I've already rolled back to WMP 10, but it hasn't helped. Now WMP won't even recognize that there's a DVD in the drive. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Collapse -
Odd but it appears to work (acer downloads)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar problems...
Collapse -
XP, Dell System 3000
by unckybob / June 4, 2007 10:54 PM PDT

These are the details of my computer.

Bob.

Collapse -
For a Dell I go to Dell.com,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2007 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: XP, Dell System 3000

Enter in the service tag and it usually takes me right to your drivers. The 2 I have to fetch and install often is the motherboard chipset and then their latest audio drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
similar problems too
by ice_ofcourse / June 5, 2007 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Similar problems...

service pack 2
hp pavilion dv6000
centrino duo
desinged for windows xp, windows vista capable
xp media center edition
version 2002
512 mb ram

cannot play sounds except for system sound.
This is what Windows Media Player says:
Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

Other audio players said similar things. When I watched cnettvs no sound came out. Only system sounds work. I've had this problem once before and bought it to a shop to fix. After a a week or so the problem came back. I tried updating the audio divices from device manager. The audio codecs are updated and fine. But when it comes to the Conexant High Definition Audio it never finishes updating. Is there a problem?

Feel free to email me at tanapatt@ptis.ac.th

Any advices/help/guidance/comment etc. would be appreciated.

Collapse -
No Sound When Playing MPG or WMV files
by Ken Br / September 16, 2008 11:06 PM PDT

I had this same problem in both XP and Vista. In both instances I fixed it by installing AC3Filter at
http://ac3filter.net/releases/ac3filter_1_51a
Just use the defaults as it installs. All my movies play perfectly after installing this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.