Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player does not play audio with .mpg file

by joshua_sb / June 17, 2009 1:45 AM PDT

Hello,

I downloaded a few videos from my HD digital camcorder to my computer and used the included software (ImageMixer 3 SE Ver. 5) to create both an MPEG-2 file and a DVD. When I play either of these with Windows Media Player 11, I can see the video just fine, but there is no audio. My laptop runs Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

I can get the DVD to play with sound when I use CyberLink PowerDVD, a DVD software program that I assume came with my laptop. Also, the DVD played just fine with sound when I played it on my wife's Mac laptop.

So, basically, it seems like the problem is with WMP.

When I first played the DVD on my PC laptop using PowerDVD, I had to change the region from Region Free to Region One as the DVD was recorded using Region One. Perhaps there is a similar region setting within WMP that I need to change? I have looked for it, but could not find it.

I would also be happy to take recommendations on other media players in place of WMP, if someone thinks that would be an easy solution. However, it would be nice for WMP to work because my parents would likely try to use that if they tried to play the DVD on their computer.

Thanks,
Josh

PS - If there is another thread that clearly answers my question, please just send me the link to that thread. I tried to search for one, but had no luck.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player does not play audio with .mpg file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player does not play audio with .mpg file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
VLC Player does work!
by joshua_sb / June 17, 2009 2:07 AM PDT

Okay, so from reading the message board, somebody suggested VLC Player, which I just downloaded, and it worked great. It also played my .mts files, which means I won't have to bother converting all of my videos.

Still, it would be nice for WMP to work.

-Josh

Collapse -
AC3Filter did the trick
by joshua_sb / June 17, 2009 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: VLC Player does work!

So, I figured it out myself. I found that by installing AC3Filter, I got sound with my mpg files. I guess it was a "codec" issue. I'm not really sure, but AC3Filter is some kind of audio decoder. Anyway, problem resolved.

-Josh

Collapse -
You're right.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 7:50 PM PDT

If you hadn't been so quick in solving this yourself, I would have suggested a codec issue, Happy

But anyway, good work on getting it sorted on your own.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks!
by joshua_sb / June 18, 2009 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: You're right.

This is definitely one of the better forums I have found. Thanks for the confirmation that my diagnosis was right.

-Josh

Collapse -
Do you need extra software to fix this problem?
by shirohniichan / June 23, 2009 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

I also have the pre-installed version of CyberLink PowerDirector that came with my desktop.

First I uploaded video files from the discs from my Mini-DVD camcorder, edited and produced (rendered) them using PowerDirector, and then attempted to add still photos and music using Microsoft Movie Maker. I found I couldn't add stills between scenes because the project I created on PowerDirector came out as one big video with no indexes. I added beginning titles and burned the result onto a DVD. The titles came out, but the 40 minutes of video came out entirely black (no audio, either).

In my next attempt I used only PowerDirector from start to finish. The video showed up, but I have no audio.

The desktop I'm using has no Internet access. Is there any way to get the audio track to play on a DVD player without having to download extra software? Is there something I can change in PowerDirector to have it include the audio?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.