Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player 9 - no video just sound.

by stan45 / April 14, 2007 9:43 PM PDT

Good Afternoon All.
I am hoping someone can help me. Bit of a novice on PC's. I have just bought a Compaq Evo P4 2.6Ghz, 750mb Ram, GeForce 6200 with 256Mb AGP.
I am running win2000 Pro and a friend said to update to WMP 9.0 which I did during the whole update thing.
The problem. I cannot successfully play any video files. I get the audio perfectly but no picture. I receive no error messages. I have re-installed WMP 9 and have added selected codecs from authorised sources. This problem afects all the players on the machine such as power DVD and Real Player. Have tried the trusty WMP 6.4 and have the same problem.
Have tried all the usual things with the video card diagnostics and Dx 9.0c. Nothing works.
Any ideas guys? - hopefully it's the author!

Thanks in advance,

Stan UK.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player 9 - no video just sound.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player 9 - no video just sound.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What video content?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 14, 2007 9:55 PM PDT

For instance WMP doesn't play DIVX files until we install ... the DIVX codec. Your post notes the usual but left out a small detail.

VLCPLAYER will play most without having to install codecs.

Bob

Collapse -
Windows Media Player 9 - no video just sound
by stan45 / April 15, 2007 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: What video content?

Thank you for the prompt reply. I Dl'd the VLC player and just the same, no video, plenty of sound. I have been through the device manager and BIOS to try and disable the onboard AGP, but surprisingly, there is no mention of it. I assume the GeForce knocks this out when being installed.
The GeForce 6200 runs without any problems doing everything else even playing games.
Res is 1280 x 768 60hz.
I am completely stumped as to where to go next. Very frustrating hearing Ice Age 2 with no picture!
Any further help appreciated.

Stan.

Collapse -
The last time that I saw that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2007 5:52 AM PDT

The machine had onboard video and a second video card. Your post is leaving out details that matter.

A known workaround is to drop the video acceleration to zero or none. Again there could be problems with content or drivers but your posts contain so few details that I can't guess the answer.

Bob

Collapse -
The last time I saw that
by stan45 / April 15, 2007 8:18 AM PDT

Sorry about the detail. The Compaq had onboard 64mb chipset from Intel. I bought an Xfx GeForce 6200 with 256MB ram and added an extra 512 of DDR.
This was so the family could play more modern games. The Compaq BIOS is very limited in the number of functions the user can alter. With your suggestion of the Codec free Vlc player, the process of elimination would suggest it's not video codec related problems.
I have now looked in the win 2K event logger and there are no warnings or errors when trying to play any video file such as MPEG, AVI or WMV. They all play okay with no picture.
I don't have a clue what I should be doing with the video card settings. The BIOS (unlike my older machine) had no setting for disabling the onboard AGP.
So.... I bought the PC, installed the video card and extra RAM. I downloaded DX9.0c and the diagnostics show no problems. I am running on a screen resolution that can be supported by the monitor. I haven't messed with any GeForce settings at all. The video problem is common to Power DVD, WMP 9 and 6.4 and now VLC. Due to the PC being bought in the last two weeks, it's only last Thursday that I tried the video playing.
With everything else working a treat, it would seem to be something simple. The system sapping Quake 4 plays comfortably enough.
This is all I've done to the machine. This is only the second forum I've ever joined so I do not know what is too little or too much detail.
Again, thanks for any info. It is appreciated.

Collapse -
Then it could be that old issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2007 9:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Then it could be that old issue.
by stan45 / April 17, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

Good Evening Bob.
Thanks for the info. I did exactly as you suggested and by zero'ing the slider I got video (blocky but playable).
I incremently adjusted the slider until Vlc player stopped and caused the pc to restart.
I ran Dx Diagnostics and it said that I had three out of date .dll's.
I visited the Xfx site and realised that the video driver had been superceded by a newer one. With nothing to lose, I loaded it and voila! - I have video.

Thanks for your help in sorting this out.

Stan UK.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.