Windows 7 forum

General discussion

WIndows Media Player 12 not updating library

by pdp7108 / November 23, 2009 7:04 AM PST

I am having an issue getting media player 12 to update my library of music. I have a Windows Home Server with all of my music in the music share folder. This folder is set to the default save location in my Windows 7 machine's music library.

I know with older versions of media player you could force a refresh of the library but i can't seem to find it in 12.

Any help would be great

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIndows Media Player 12 not updating library
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIndows Media Player 12 not updating library
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Getting started and more information
by TaraS_WinTeam / November 24, 2009 2:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Media Player
by pdp7108 / November 24, 2009 6:34 AM PST

I added to albums from my flash drive to there artist folders on the server. The first album was found correctly and is found in the library. The 2nd album is not seen in the library. I can browse to the missing album and play it but it isn't in the library with the rest of the artists music. I have auto refresh on.

The album did come in at first but was missing 3 songs. I deleted it from the library (made sure it was still on the server) restarted Media Player hoping that it would refresh and find the full album.

Collapse -
(NT) How do you set media player to "auto refresh"?
by chiefisd / June 23, 2012 3:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
WMP not updating library
by Vibhum_Bhardwaj / May 10, 2011 5:08 PM PDT

Well, the same thing occured with me also, and it was fixed. Hope that it will also work for you.
?Go to Organise>Manage Libraries>Music. Then remove My Music from the list.
?Wait, Media player is now removing the files that are from My Music folder.
?Now, again go to Organise>Manage Libraries>Music,and add My Music folder again (and make it default by right clicking it)
?Now, you will look that all your files are being added in the library with corrected file paths.
Thats all..

Collapse -
It's always the simplest answer.....
by CrimsonAvenger / June 19, 2011 7:38 AM PDT

I was having the same problem with WMP12 not finding my videos after transferring them from an old XP machine - just deleted all the locations for it to look in and added them again - job done.

Collapse -
WMP not updating library.
by sertho33 / June 23, 2011 3:56 AM PDT

Had the same problem,tried your fix and it worked perfect 10/10 for you
Thanks very much

Collapse -
Deleting the library folder not a fix.
by chiefisd / June 23, 2012 4:04 PM PDT

I to am having the problem with my library not updating. I only use media play for music files, which I have a large number. Yes you can delete the folder where your library is stored, let your media player library empty, then add the folder back which will then re-load the library with the new files.

However, if you have "add volume leveling" checked for your music files (preferable) then it takes forever for the library to reload for it checks every song of every album in your library.

It is a real pain to get media player to update the library. It eventually will but I can find no rhyme or reason as to when it will do it.

I have read microsoft help files and I cannot find anything to answer this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 1:56 AM PDT

This and other issues had me forget this title. It had problems a decade ago and while it's free and does a lot of things, folk still see trouble with it. My fix? Use other things.

Collapse -
I almost bought it...
by sedamine / February 12, 2013 2:57 PM PST
In reply to: Nod.

I have used WMP for nearly 10 years, and with the exception of adding codecs for further use never had an issue. Now here I am with a recently new win 7 machine, with personally updated codecs and integration into the shell for selectct extensions. It didn't take much to add like it's predecessors. Though I came across my first blip since then and decided to check it out on forum posts.

It's funny cause since I wrote that first paragraph my entire library is back and available for media share, which is what I was looking for a solution for. All it needed was about 5 minutes of patience amongst the other apps I have running simutaneously. My oops.

While searching I am not a MS fan by heart. But WMP IS ONE OF THE MOST PROFOUND MEDIA PLAYERS AVAILABLE!

I find other products, and yes I will say it, like WinAMP to provide further lag on a system than WMP. And if there is an issue, there are so many easy to find and apply solutions online.

So instead of finding something else right away and researching it. Spend less time and find a fix.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: I almost bought it...

This seems to be the theme for a lot of MSFT titles. Almost there. WMP is a big effort on their part and since I'd rather not have to fix it so often I use other titles.

That's the great thing about Windows is the choices we can make.

-> Take a look at those Smart TVs and you see no choice. You can't delete all the apps and have few choices on apps. Sometimes none.

Similar story with some smart phones.

Collapse -
WMP not updating library
by bastardino / January 9, 2013 8:08 AM PST

I have WMP Version 12.0.7601.17514 which was shipped with Windows 7. To include/update recently added music files, i.e., those which populated the library on first use of WMP, and was unsuccessful. I tried removing the folder My Music as the default folder to point to then adding it again to include all music in My Music folder. The only thing which occurred was the original files in My Music on the first use of WMP added back and nothing else.

Even if this workaround was effective, it seems pretty micky mouse considering that you have to manually remove all files, which could be comprehensive, then add them back in again to result in failure anyways.

Any one have any other simple solutions or know if MS has rectified this problem @ 2013 for a version created in 2009?

Collapse -
This batch will work
by simpsondoug / July 31, 2012 5:09 AM PDT

add these commands in to a batch -- it will kill your library db's and when it opens media player, it will rebuild them all.

I had the same problem where adding media into the directorys was not refreshing -- and removing and readding the directory did not help:

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">net stop "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"
<span>cd %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\media player
<span>del *.wmdb
<span>cd e:\program files\windows media player
<span>net start "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"
<span>erecho Done

Collapse -
by r3lay / August 3, 2012 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: This batch will work

Cheers for that, works a treat

Collapse -
Not on Windows 7
by cadavered / January 2, 2013 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: This batch will work

But, going to the app data folder and deleting the .wmdb files manually worked.

Just posting this in case anyone else is having this problem.

Collapse -
I had the same problem
by grant10101 / November 10, 2012 9:52 PM PST

In windows 8 if you click on the library it will open with the music app. Change what opens the file to windows media player from the list, right click on the song. Your windows library will be updated.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.