Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player 11 - Won't Open at all...

by st_loosh / June 2, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

I tend to use WMP for all my multimedia needs...I have other programs that either show video/DVDs alone, or play music alone, but have been a faithful user of Window Media Player for um-teen years now, and its never failed me ...until now.
The darn thing just won't open. I clicked on the shortcut on my Desktop; I clicked on it in the Programs List, the cursor changes to an hour glass for 2 seconds, then NOTHING HAPPENS..

I deleted it a few moments ago, re-installed it (from the Microsoft Home page), and still NOTHING! its like I didnt click on it at all....Please help / Feel like a fish out of water here...

Oper. System: Windows XP SP2 - Home Ed.
Computer: Dell Inspiron 1000 (nothing flashy, but it works for me)
Free Memory left: 20 Gb ( out of 30b...just got a new harddrive)
Length of Problem: Its only been acting up some 3 days ago...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player 11 - Won't Open at all...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player 11 - Won't Open at all...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WMP trouble
by arri_rc / June 2, 2007 12:46 PM PDT

Hello there

While installing and uninstalling did you deactivate your security software? Is there any registry protection software running in your system?

See whether you can restore back your PC to a date when your WMP was working.

BTW, I understand that you are a faithful user of WMP and so was I. Please allow me to suggest that you should try VLC media player.

Collapse -
Revert back to WMP 10. You will be much happier.
by Kiddpeat / June 2, 2007 10:11 PM PDT

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. WMP 11 apparently has many issues.

Collapse -
I've had it with WMP 11
by st_loosh / June 25, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

Now, I have tried to revert back to WMP 11, but WMP is not opening and not doing anything either....

Even after restarting my computer....(I click on the setup WMP 10; and it always starts off well; but then Windows Update opens and starts downloading WMP11, and when I stop it, the whole downloading of any of the WMPs end! (argghhh)

I have even gone to the Microsoft WMP website and downloaded the version 10 there...but it keeps saying that It cannot be downloaded (and giving me an error message)

Please help..anyone

Collapse -
Just a link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2007 11:08 PM PDT is about all we know about WMP (various versions are documented.) Hopefully you can find a cure there.

Look up the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and run it. See if a pending install of WMP 11 is listed and remove that too.

Collapse -
WMP. Junk or is it me?
by taylor1211 / February 2, 2010 7:08 AM PST

WMP 11 was a built in program on my Toshiba laptop OS Vista Home Premium. When I try to play it, it freezes up tight along with my computer. I am unable to uninstall it and when I tried to update it, a box popped up stating the update does not apply to this system.!!!!

Collapse -
Repair the registry
by froster_mohit / June 16, 2007 4:26 AM PDT

First uninstall your windows media player 11 and download "windows registry repair pro" or something like that from and clean your registry.Again install windows media player 11 and trying running it again.Please tell me that if you have try to delete/modify any registry keys from registry editor few days before.If yes,Kindly tell me what?

If you think that I have helped you in solving your problem,
then please give me your feedback to

I have just joined today and had solved 2 problems.My name is Mohit.I am from India.I am 9 years old.
Yours faithfully,

Collapse -
Same problem
by emanx995 / June 22, 2007 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair the registry

I have the exact same problem. Windows Media Player 11 won't open when I double click it. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling and using a registry cleaner, but it still won't open. I'm running Windows XP Pro on an iMac with Boot Camp.

Collapse -
WMP and Vista
by gifters / September 21, 2007 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair the registry

as far as I can tell, you can't uninstall WMP from vista... well at least I can't, note my Windows Media Player stopped working/opening/anything

Collapse -
re: WMP and Vista
by cookiemownster / September 8, 2011 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: WMP and Vista

I have the same problem. I can't install a new WMP coz it says there's already on installed but it still will not work. Ive already disabled my security and tried it and uninstalled/reinstalled my security as well and nothing happened Sad

Collapse -
Don't worry about WMP 11
by shades09 / June 22, 2007 6:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
by vandyminos / May 24, 2009 9:43 AM PDT

Thanks for the MonkeyMedia recommendation, it solved everything! Cheers!

Collapse -
Windows Media Player 11 won't open - Solution!
by e160877 / July 5, 2007 11:27 AM PDT

I had the same problem and I believe I have solved the problem. Follow the instructions below:

1. Click Start, click Accessories, the right click on Command Prompt and choose "run as administrator", then type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then hit enter.

2. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll then hit enter.

3. Now type exit and hit enter. Now try media player and it should work.

Collapse -
This Worked for Me
by mr_seats / August 1, 2007 6:25 AM PDT

Thanks for that. I've been looking for a solution for days. This is nice and simple.

Collapse -
didnt work
by hocky_nutty / August 13, 2007 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: This Worked for Me

Hey, mine hasnt worked for a year, i just now decided to try to look for the problem, i have windows XP media edition, inspiron e1505, umm, thats about it, lol, but , I need to fix this:( that last post didnt help, for me atleast, but, i might have done something wrong, but, anyway, yes i do have the same problem, and it sux lol. ty

Collapse -
XP issue
by e160877 / August 13, 2007 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: didnt work

I am running Vista, so maybe the issue for XP is different. Might need to search specifically for this problem with XP.

Collapse -
by domisap / September 2, 2010 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: XP issue
Collapse -
Windows Media Player 11 won't open - Solution
by mukramansari / October 20, 2007 8:53 AM PDT

Please go through this article 925704 for Media Player 11 program does not start

To resolve this problem, reregister the Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll files. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run,type cmd, hit enter in command Prompt, type regsvr32 jscript.dll , and then click OK.
2. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, hit enter in command Prompt, type regsvr32 vbscript.dll , and then click OK.

Restart the computer and try to open Windows media player

Collapse -
not it either
by hocky_nutty / October 25, 2007 3:01 PM PDT

Thank you for your time and effort in posting, but, but, still did not work Sad

Collapse -
Solution for Windows Media Player 11 not opening.
by northumbria61 / December 2, 2007 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: not it either

The error you appear to have is a result of the wrong version of the
"wmploc.dll" being installed.

"Wmploc.dll version 6344 is part of kb941651 update.

It sounds like the dll didn't get installed properly, which means you will have to uninstall the update. Go to Control Panel, Programs,
Add/Remove programs, show installed updates. Delete the update as above kb941651

Restart the computer and run windows update again. This should resolve it.

Collapse -
Fixed my problem
by Los2769 / March 2, 2008 1:12 AM PST

Tanks so much it works good now

Collapse -
Make sure you are the an administrator
by bilal_ny / December 7, 2007 3:09 PM PST

For the registering to work, you must run the command prompt as an administrator or log in to vista as an administrator. Go to accessories, right-click command prompt, and click run as administrator.

1. type regsvr32 jscript.dll and then press enter. you should get a confirmation message.
2. repeat and type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and then press enter.
3. type exit and press enter.

Your error with WMP 11 should now be fixed.

Collapse -
Thanks so much!
by dexterET / April 6, 2008 12:00 PM PDT

I have been trying for days to figure out how to repair my Media Player 11 in Vista but to no avail. I tried your suggestion and it worked like a charm. Thank you SOOOOOOO much!

Collapse -
This works on VISTA!
by sloth2mantis2 / January 27, 2009 9:51 PM PST

Thank you. The other day I uninstalled some anti-virus software and installed another, which for some reason caused WMP to not open at all--lol. This fixed it, thanks.

Collapse -
Success !!
by SusanJJ / August 19, 2010 5:20 AM PDT

Thanks for this fix. Simple and effective. My WMP11 has been out of commission for a long time. Just decided to try to look for a fix. Thanks to CNET also for providing these forums.

Collapse -
WMP 11 - another one bites the dust
by Berkumlik / June 13, 2008 2:45 AM PDT

I've been using VLC and Power DVD for most applications. Never had a problem. I figured that using those instead of WMP (which is loaded with complications) I'd be alright. Recently though I've been getting an error and program must close pop up - on both it and related IE sites.

Now I can't even uninstall the program. It claims folders have already been deleted though it gives no indication of what. I've tried downloading it again, transfering working files from another computer, the suggestions above and still nothing works. I can't afford to pay Microsoft $60 for tech support either.

Further suggestions?

Collapse -
Answer found
by MrJinx68 / August 1, 2008 6:20 AM PDT

On Vista OS ...
Go into Command Prompt as administrator from your accessories folder, (right click Command Prompt <CLICK> "Run as Administrator").
<TYPE> regsvr32.exe wmp.dll
In a moment, a window will pop up & tell you that the Registry Server command was successful, (it may take about 10-15 seconds for the prompt).
Then simply open Winddows Media Player from your shortcut & you're golden.
Have fun...Good Luck...

Collapse -
u da man
by indianacarnie-23448979385 / December 12, 2010 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Answer found

having multiple serious issues with my vista and this solved one of them . thank you very much

Collapse -
years later
by Tweetye911 / September 13, 2012 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer found

Thanks! Its 2012 and your tip has helped me soooooooooo much!!!!!

Collapse -
by topcat_77 / June 16, 2008 12:19 AM PDT

I've had this problem for months and this has finally sorted it. Thank you so much!!

Collapse -
Thank you!!!
by marsdevilsvolta / September 16, 2008 3:51 PM PDT

very simple solution thank you, i didnt restart at first and it still didnt work, then i read on, restarted and all is well.

thanks again

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.