Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Media Player 11 and Codecs

by gra7ity / May 12, 2007 6:44 PM PDT

Hi, Im a bit of a novice at this, but I am trying to play some files in windows media player 11 and I am having trouble. This applies to both audio (some mp3 files) and video (some avi files).

I have downloaded the K-Lite codec pack and run Gspot to test the files. Gspot does not have a problem rendering and playing the files, however when I try to open them in windows media player 11 I get an error saying that I do not have the correct codecs installed.

Some advice on what to try next would be much appriciated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Player 11 and Codecs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Player 11 and Codecs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost enough information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2007 1:55 AM PDT

Tell me which CODEC gspot detected and we'll hunt it down.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: almost enough information
by gra7ity / May 14, 2007 2:21 PM PDT

Gspot is not detecting any specific audio codec (that part is blank).
It determines the file to be:
File Type: MPEG1/MPEG2 (.MP2/.MPA)
Mime Type: audio/mpeg

It then renders the audio (with no problems) in the following way
source> MPEG1 Stream splitter> ffdshow audio decoder> default direct sound device.

I can play the audio using Gspot, thus I have any required codecs (otherwise Gspot would not be able to render the audio). My problem is getting media player to actually use the installed codecs. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Did you see the "MP2"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2007 8:49 PM PDT

Mpeg2 is not supported "out of the box" on a fresh install. I'm sure someone will counter me on this but this is one of the reasons WMP doesn't play DVDs on a fresh install. To fix this you install compatible DVD player software. Since such is not free, most use VLC Player.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes MP2 was in there
by gra7ity / May 17, 2007 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you see the "MP2"?

Yes, it does say MP2 in there somewhere. So that is my problem? I have played a dvd on the system briefly when i first got it, and I didn't have any codecs or other programs installed at the time, so it had to play in media player. Not sure if that means anything?

Thanks
Aaron

Collapse -
It could mean they...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2007 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes MP2 was in there

Supplied it when new and it was toasted somehow. The problem is DVD playback means paying license fees to mpegla.com (a long discussion if you want to know all about that) and as such you run into people that think Windows should play DVDs... But it won't except when that license is paid and MS or the laptop vendor adds in a little more magic (files.)

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by gra7ity / May 17, 2007 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: It could mean they...

It makes sense, I might just have to see if i can hunt down these magic files, but for now I might use VLC.

Thanks for your help
Aaron

Collapse -
weird
by gra7ity / May 17, 2007 7:36 PM PDT
In reply to: It could mean they...

I just checked and dvd's still play on media player with no problem. I downloaded vlc player and that has no problem playing the files. So I don't know what is going on, any other ideas?

Collapse -
That's where I dive in with gspot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2007 9:19 PM PDT
In reply to: weird

I think I noted that but it "is" the tool of choice when I trip over a video that people think must play in WMP. After that I hit google to ask about that codec. Some content like REAL is never going to be easy since Microsoft and REAL have been battling for years over that area. Same issue for .MOV files.

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by davmcn / May 14, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

well to start off i would like to point out that since you are running windows vista i would like to know if you have Home Basic or Home Premium.

If Basic No Idea
If Home Premnium
here is some advice

- windows vista premnium comes with a program called Windows Media Center and should be able to play all of your files.

anyways hoped that helped
dave

Collapse -
re:(NT) ok
by gra7ity / May 14, 2007 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: ok

I do have home premium, but unfortunately the media centre will not play the file either. I had the same problem with a divx encoded video file. It played no problem using the divx player, but windows media player would not play it (even though the codec was installed). Thanks for the reply

Collapse -
just found out from experience
by davmcn / May 20, 2007 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: re:(NT) ok

if you want to play movies or etc.... it will not work for some reason windows media player no work.... what u have to do is download some program like power dvd it will make work for movies and avi files but some other programs are just useless for this

anyways hope this helped
Good Luck!

Collapse -
playing file
by r4t4adv / May 14, 2007 5:07 PM PDT

I would highly suggest using GOM player or VLC to play your files. If either of these 2 programs cant play your file then nothing can or so i hear. These players are both free and have many codecs already installed . Id start with GOM because it more user friendly. Give it a shot.

Collapse -
re: playing file
by gra7ity / May 15, 2007 8:01 PM PDT
In reply to: playing file

Thanks, I have used VLC before on my desktop. This time, I am trying to minimise the amount of programs I have on my computer. Since windows media player is already there I am trying to use it, and knowing how these things are usually so simple I thought someone might tell me of some button I need to press somewhere to force the player to use certain codecs, LOL at this stage that isn't looking good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.